PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 85' Crown Vic

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

getting mine apart involved use of a torch to get it moving. It was rusted solid, the column was not collapsible anymore. Unfortunately the heat de-sprung the spring in there so I had to take it back apart and bend that enough to keep the two shafts tight to one another.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

It was stuck, I had to use some heat and penetrating fluid, now everything moves freely, the second headache was getting the rivets out.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    getting mine apart involved use of a torch to get it moving. It was rusted solid, the column was not collapsible anymore. Unfortunately the heat de-sprung the spring in there so I had to take it back apart and bend that enough to keep the two shafts tight to one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
    It was stuck, I had to use some heat and penetrating fluid, now everything moves freely, the second headache was getting the rivets out.
    Oh yeah. Forgot to mention..heat was involved in my endeavor..so was penetrating fluids. Fun times.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15E37CCE-B154-4D28-AF31-96695FB2675C.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	55995

I finally found a tilt column for my car, heres a picture of it installed. Its originally from an 86' Colony Park.

Nice. Not sure how I cold deal with the car without the tilt.

I spy the 140 speedo too!
    ~David~

I know, it certainly makes a difference.

as for the speedo, its just a canadian speedo, where the primary reading is kilometres
    Last edited by 1985crownvicltd85; 03-24-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Oh yes would you look at that. I was excited.

Still better than what we got in the states.
    ~David~

What, these cars weren't standard with tilt wheel? That's nuts... I mean, I could see '79 to '83 being that way but by '85? Hot damn.. On a related note, I saw watched the Big Lebowski yesterday. After the Dude's encounter with Malibu's police chief, he's riding in a '88-'89 LTD which doesn't have rear defrost. I've never seen a box post '87 without defrost...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

fomoco panthers !

My 90 CV doesn't have rear defrost.

Wow, was that car from Maine originally? What options does it have? Guess there's a plate where the defrost button would be?

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Knowing Tom, he probably picked it up while in California. The reason you don't seen them with out rear defrost, Derek, is because of where we live. It would be unimaginable to order a car without that feature around here.
    Kind of like how no AC is a thing around here, but unimaginable the further south you go.

1985crownvicltd85, the car looks great. Nice color combo of black with red interior.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning sometime in the 2020s, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

fomoco panthers !

The 90 CV was a San Diego County Sheriff Department Patrol car. Whoever ordered it had their finger on the delete option button. In San Diego vehicles don't need rear window defrosters. I bought the car in about 2003. Had it shipped with 6 others to Maine in 07. I needed to replace the horizontal trim panels on the dash.Original had dents and holes in it. Never have been able to find a good panel without the defroster button. When the factory makes the panels, the back plastic is all the same with numerous holes. The difference is the covering. Mine originally had a covering that had no holes. For each option, a different covering is made. So the car now has a perfect panel with a non working defroster button. Unless it is in a points judging show (which it wont) no one will know or care. It sure looks nice now.
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-27-2021 at 12:21 AM.

I imagine fleet orders had a lot more flexibility in what you could de-select too.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    ...Had it shipped with 6 others to Maine in 07...
    Ballin'! I'm doing it wrong.

fomoco panthers !

Just don't hire "United Road" They "forgot" two others in Ca. They damaged three of seven. Driver made it cross country in 3 days. Slightly over hours on his long book ! He admitted he was using two logbooks. But that is another story for another time.

Oh jeebus, what a debacle..

"team driving" ? Probably a lot more possible in the days of paper logs, now with electronic nanny boxes its a lot more difficult to cheat that stuff. 'course that happened because of people driving for way too many hours, nodding off, and running people over so I get it.

fomoco panthers !

No just a single driver. Even with two drivers, it could not be done legally in 3 days. Now years ago I saw quite a few trucks with "foreign" drivers that had more than two drivers in a truck. It technically could be done then.Toilet was a sliding panel that opens down to the outside. GROSS. That KW truck was going 24/7. They would cook their food in the truck. Truck would reek of curry.

Thats why I put that in quotes. One driver, two books, split road time across the cheat sheets to make it come out right. Skip told me he used to do that, on paper he and his wife would do cross-country runs, but in reality she never left the house.

fomoco panthers !

In CA depending upon the county the ticket was written in, that little trick would cost the driver $1500 plus a hit on his commercial license, and 24 hours "Out of Service". Then of course the the truck should be looked at too. Darn it, It is "Out of Service"for mechanical violations. All written to the driver .Oh but wait, there could be more... If the driver lies, I keep writing until I get the truth. I tell the driver that too. Amazing how that works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12