PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Fuel in oil! 5.0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fuel in oil! 5.0

I bought another Wagon, 89 Colony Park, 178K miles. Seller put new fuel pump in. Car runs but won't idle. I dropped the oil, 8 quarts of black piss water came out, reeked of old gas. I am assuming a stuck open injector. I pulled the vacuum line off the regulator, no evidence of fuel in the hose. Fuel pressure jumps to 40 PSI when I turn the key on, as soon as the pump stops running, dives to 0 PSI. Any thoughts? WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Yeah either the regulator is shit or you've got an injector or more than one stuck open. Lucky you didn't hydro-lock the engine. Judging by the gas/oil, the stuck injector sounds like about 99.999999% the problem. Prime it once or twice then start pulling plugs and see which cylinder a shitload of gas runs out of. That's the quickest way i can think to run it down.

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

Just rebuild the entire fuel system, all new injectors, regulator and filter. change the oil a few times before you get it on the road.
    Cross your fingers that the fuel in the oil didn't wash too much sludge and crap into the pan.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I shopped online and found prices for injectors all over the place. As low as $14.99 each up to $69.99 each. Any input on which to buy or avoid? Fuel pressure regulators are all around $27 and fuel filters around $11. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

what you should buy depends on what your planning to do with the car, if it is a keeper go OEM if they are affordable.

Injectors are a job I would prefer to do only once so it is worth the extra cost to buy good ones. If you cannot afford OEM injectors just buy ones with good reviews.

If the car is a keeper and your gonna have the upper intake off anyways you may want to have valve cover gaskets in stock in case you feel good enough to replace them and especially if they show signs of leaks. PCV valve and other maintenance items, vac, cooling lines etc shouldn't be overlooked while doing this job so keep that in mind when your planning your budget for this job.

Other members here may have a name brand of injectors that will give you a good value and reliability for your money.

I bought a set of rebuilt injectors from a reputable seller on ebay that I run on my 87 with no issues. And they have a warranty, though who knows if the seller will cooperate if I tried to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you have a ultrasonic cleaner you may be able to save the original injectors if they are just dirty causing them to leak. I am not sure if your injectors have replacement parts for them or not but it may be worth looking into a small ultrasonic cleaner is pretty cheap.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

yank the plugs and have a look. I'm betting injector, and the wet plug will tell you which one. If it was the reg you'd have gas coming through the vac line.

The problem is how long was it run like that? Too much and you may have some pretty sloppy bearings as a result. Gas makes for lousy lube. I replaced a Chris-Craft marine 350 from a stuck choke. Guy ran it for a year while it "made oil". It had about 2 quarts extra in the sump, and 3 of the rod bearings were completely hammered. Pulled one of the rod caps and the crank was wasted too. We didn't waste any more time on it, it got a reman long block and a new choke pull-off on the carb.

last set of injectors I got came from some dude on ebay who runs an injector rebuild shop. It was a set of 8 flow matched and tested injectors. Not too spendy. Forget who but dude had dozens of different listings going at once.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

You could just replace the stuck injector(s) but if they are the original units they are all very tired. I know I have a few good ones of the newer type around here if you want.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Thanks to those that have replied. I have lots of used ones, even complete intakes with injectors, rails and wiring still intact. Even with the piss water for oil, the engine didn't make any noise,(no death rattle) and the oil light goes out instantly when started. I will check the spark plugs to see which cylinders are flooded with gas. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird