Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Factory carb cars, in-tank fuel filter/strainer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory carb cars, in-tank fuel filter/strainer?

I'm building the to-do lists for my cars, and they are looking slightly terrifying. Nonetheless:

One of the things I need to do with my 83 (factory carb 302 car) is to replace the float and potentially recondition the contacts of the fuel level sender as it has been pegged on E the whole time I've owned it.

I strongly suspect that there is a fuel strainer or filter on the end of the pickup tube, and I would like to have its correct replacement on-hand before I begin the project.

I have found many references to D1AZ9A011A (which can be replaced by Spectra Premium STR129), however I believe this fits 3/8" tubes and I suspect the pickup tube in this will consist of 5/16" tube.

Can anyone confirm what's going on inside the tank on the factory carb cars? Should be the same setup here as for a 351.

As a visual example, these are Ranger sending units, left for carb, right for EFI. The dark cylindrical thing on the end of the pipe for the carb one is a screen/strainer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/k1shyy/43983366024/

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

master parts manual has two entries for 80-86 "all without CFI or EFI".

D1AZ-9A011A - use with 3/8" outlet tube
    D1FZ-9A011A - use with 5/16" outlet tube

it offers no clue as to which is found on any specific vehicle.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Possibly unrelated: Mustangs through early 68 used 5/16”. After, they used 3/8” so that the big block cars wouldn’t starve for fuel.

Whatever the outlet diameter is on your sending unit should be the same for the strainer so I would guess.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
      X