Couple of small issues I want to look into 02 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve done all the maintenance I think I need. I’m driving the car almost every day. Couple of things I want to improve and hope someone here has experience. The headlights are terrible. I drive with the brights on and no one cares. The lenses are clear. What’s the best plug and play headlights. I don’t want issues with overheating the harness. I know OEM won’t damage the harness but I prefer brighter light than OEM.

I also want to add Bluetooth to the factory radio. It sounds fine and the 6 disk changer works. I like the steering wheel controls as well. I tried the cassette insert and plug it into my phone. It works but gets hot after 20 minutes and I have to remove it. I’m not opposed to adding the Bluetooth to the 12V lighter and using the FM radio frequency but.... that would require changing them from always powered to keyed. Anyone have a schematic so I can do that without chopping up the harness? I won’t remember to unplug it and don’t want to drain the battery. Last option would be to remove the radio and solder a Bluetooth into it. It’s possible but I’m wondering if anyone has done that?

Welcome! With respect to the headlights, you want a headlight relay harness. Essentially, you use the existing headlight wires to trigger relays that then pass current directly from the battery to the headlights through a thicker wire. This in itself should brighten the existing bulbs significantly. I don't have a link handy, but it is very well-known and you should be able to find lots about it without much fuss. You can buy assembled harnesses or make your own if you're handy.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I use this fm transmitter in my 87 mgm. Its the best one Ive ever used and is very clear

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264513955505

I would suggest getting one of those add a fuse kits, universal power outlet and some wire to wire in another power outlet remotely and keep the fm transmitter plugged in. Tap a circuit that can handle the extra load too.

Ive been looking into getting a bluetooth board and wiring it into the tape deck myself. All you need to wire in is power, ground, left in, right in, left out and right out. As long as you know which is which it should be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are the lights aimed well, are the reflectors in good shape, and are the bulbs not ancient? Halogen lamps get dark with age. if you pull them out and the glass is dark, that kills the light output. If the reflectors in the back aren't shiny, most of the light just scatters around inside the housing, and if its aimed way off the light just doesn't go where its useful.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've had plenty of customers come in with older Fords that typically run 9007 bulbs complaining the lights aren't bright. It's not been uncommon to pull out OE bulbs with date stamped the same model year as the car. Oldest one I recall was a 1996 bulb out of a 1997 Explorer.

Try some Sylvania Extravisions or an equivalent.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Thanks for the input. I’ll look into these suggestions this week.

Comment

I have a 98 Grand Marquis. The headlights were really crappy. The worst part was they were clear. The remedy was new housings and LED headlights. It's much more enjoyable to drive at night.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                I have a 98 Grand Marquis. The headlights were really crappy. The worst part was they were clear. The remedy was new housings and LED headlights. It's much more enjoyable to drive at night.
                Thanks, any links or a source and ID the led’s. Did you have to use a box to eliminate flicker?

Also, I received the FM transmitter. It works at 107.7 so I get pretty good sound. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to un plug the +pos wire to that power point and run a new one to Accy to have that one keyed that keeps the harness good and allows me to charge and not have to unplug every time I park.

Comment

LED’s ordered. Thanks for the tips. I’m ready to go into maintenance mode and enjoy the car. I’ll post feedback on the led headlights and where I got them when they arrive and get installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Prgrmerror View Post
                    Thanks, any links or a source and ID the led’s. Did you have to use a box to eliminate flicker?

Also, I received the FM transmitter. It works at 107.7 so I get pretty good sound. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to un plug the +pos wire to that power point and run a new one to Accy to have that one keyed that keeps the harness good and allows me to charge and not have to unplug every time I park.
                    The LEDs I got were from amazon. They were from the company NAO. never heard of them. but they were cheap enough. Just as an FYI, you will need to aim the headlights higher as the LEDs will project light lower for some reason. So get yourself the headlight adjustment tool as well. They're about 12 bucks and available on amazon as well.

Comment

LEDs installed. A 5 minute job. Lesfit LC6 series on eBay. I’m very satisfied with the difference. They are 60w 7600lm 6000k. More than enough light for me. If they don’t burn out anytime soon then they are a good deal. They don’t flash at all. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
                      X