Tripminder backlight burned out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripminder backlight burned out?

I just dug into my Tripminder to clean the contacts (need to do it again because the Set button still isn't responding). And I noticed this burned looking spot on the right edge of the display, is this the backlighting element? My backlight comes on briefly on startup and then it goes back ton what I presume is the dim night mode because it is very difficult to read in daylight and there is no change with headlights on/off.

Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191111_121314.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1305103
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

That is the getter flashing from when they make the VFD. its some witch's brew of metals that absorb oxygen and other gasses that might be trapped inside the thing during production.

There is a bright and dim mode that comes on when the dash lights are powered. If yours is in dim mode when the lights aren't on, either there is some small amount of voltage leaking through the headlight switch, or something is flaky inside the unit. Hard to say but I'd bet on leaky caps if its something internal to the unit.

use a strip of paper with the contact cleaner (or rubbing alcohol works fine) and stuff it under the springy bit. Push down on the button and pull the paper out. Do that until you don't see any more black streaks on the paper.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Late update on this one, turns out my automatic headlight sensor was covered by the vinyl dash pad the PO had installed (full wrap type). So when I was driving during the day the headlights were still on, and the Tripminder was in Dim Mode. It functions fine with the headlights actually turned off.
      1986 Country Squire
      1969 Mercury Cougar
      1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

Comment

that'll do it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X