A Few Random Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few Random Questions

I've been looking at these forums since I bought my 1989 Grand Marquis and have found it to be a great resource. You guys have already helped me out with some things but I just have a couple of random questions.

1. After disconnecting it from the speedometer, can I just pull the
    speedometer cable out of it's housing from inside the car, or do I need to remove the whole thing from the car first?

2. It sounds like there's water in the dash on the passenger side. I've read that it could be from the cowl vent drain being plugged, but I can't find where the drain is at. Where should I bet looking?

3. Any opinions on a good temperature gauge to install, and how difficult is it?

1. If replacing the cable, you should replace the sheath too. The section under the car, over the exhaust, is usually in pretty bad shape by now. If the sheath is all good, replacing the square metal cable alone can technically be done if you have a matching length one to replace it with. If the cable retention collar (little ring that keeps it from falling down into the sheath) is there at the speedo end, you can pretty much yank the core out from there. I'd drop the cable out the bottom of the car first just to keep the interior clean because that core will have lube on it and it will be extremely dirty.

2. Most likely. You'll find the vent located at the passenger corner of the windshield just under the hood. The drain should be at the bottom of that and closer to the AC cables than the blower motor on the front face of the plastic plenum the motor mounts to. Should be a rubber flap there that covers the drain.

3. Pretty much any electric style. Gotta find a place to put the sensor and then run wires through the firewall to the gauge and find a place to mount it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks. With the speedo cable I was just planning on re-lubing first before replacing. It works it's just a little bouncy and very loud.
      Last edited by Zyghost; 11-15-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

How does one lube the cable? I'm very close to reinstalling my VSS and have the cable disconnected at the AOD end. Mine was squeaking up a storm last time I drove the CV.

Comment

I use axle grease and slather the cable in it and thread it inside the sheath. Then use a bit of WD-40 on the speedo (the spinning cylinder bit the cable attaches to - this cleans the old crud out) followed with some grease and then a little penetrating lube. I had problems with the 88 being bouncy and coming up slow in winter when I just used grease, but with a little penetrating lube, it worked great any time. Sold the car with that after driving it for 5 years after giving the lube job to it. No issues. May not need the grease on the speedo though. I would suggest some lithium or silicone grease on the plastic gears though. Help keep them from wearing out while you're in there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
            How does one lube the cable? I'm very close to reinstalling my VSS and have the cable disconnected at the AOD end. Mine was squeaking up a storm last time I drove the CV.
            you have to pull the cable from the speedometer end. Make sure to wipe the cable down with a rag to make sure there is no cut strands of wire that will slice your hand open when lubing it.
            2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              1. If replacing the cable, you should replace the sheath too. The section under the car, over the exhaust, is usually in pretty bad shape by now. If the sheath is all good, replacing the square metal cable alone can technically be done if you have a matching length one to replace it with. If the cable retention collar (little ring that keeps it from falling down into the sheath) is there at the speedo end, you can pretty much yank the core out from there. I'd drop the cable out the bottom of the car first just to keep the interior clean because that core will have lube on it and it will be extremely dirty.

2. Most likely. You'll find the vent located at the passenger corner of the windshield just under the hood. The drain should be at the bottom of that and closer to the AC cables than the blower motor on the front face of the plastic plenum the motor mounts to. Should be a rubber flap there that covers the drain.

3. Pretty much any electric style. Gotta find a place to put the sensor and then run wires through the firewall to the gauge and find a place to mount it.
              So the cowl vent drain is clear. The passenger floorboard is starting to get wet now. Could it be the AC evaporator drain being plugged? I can't find that either. I know the previous owner replaced the heater core and, given other things he did to the car, there's a decent chance he did something wrong. What else should I look for?

Edit: I should probably add that the AC isn't working. The previous owner had it all replaced but a hose leaked so there's no refrigerant in it anymore. At least according to him that's why.
              Last edited by Zyghost; 11-23-2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

1, Has the windshield been replaced ? Maybe there is not enough sealant around it or it is cracked.
                2. Have you checked for any missing or leaking body plugs. Those would be black rubber plugs from the cabin to outside or the firewall area. I have found them missing before.
                3. There are seals around around the firewall area. like the fan motor, heater core plenum etc. maybe one is allowing a leak.
                4. Bad heater core ? Have you checked tightness of the heater hoses ?

Comment

If this water is from rain, check the seal around the vent screen. If that seal is dead and allowing full tilt rain to flood from the windshield... it'll still flood into the cabin as the drain won't be able to keep up.

Also, if any screws are missing from the wiper cowl, that could be a hole for water to get through and if the firewall is rusted out anywhere, could cause issues. Also check all the wire grommets in the firewall you can see on the wet side and make sure they are properly seated in the firewall and the body/drain plugs under the carpet on the floor. May need to make sure someone didn't drill through the floor before you got it. Could also have rust on the body behind the insulation above the cats.

All that said... if the windshield isn't sealed up properly at the bottom as mentioned above, yeah... gonna get wet.

Comment

If the AC doesn't work, the evaporator isn't going to make any water, so that won't be where it comes from.

Worst case, get inside the car wit a light and watch while someone soaks the car with a hose. Taking the seat out allows for a much more comfortable position laying on the floor and looking up under the dash.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Probably going to have to do end up doing the hose test. I'll definitely check all the seals first though. I'm pretty sure it is from rain, it doesn't smell like coolant or anything. Appreciate the advice

Comment

Still trying to find the leak. Now I'm not sure that it isn't coolant. I pulled up some of the wet carpeting and there were several dozen ants under there. I assume they could be attracted to coolant smell. I tested with water and couldn't see a leak. Some of the weather stripping on the windshield is cracked/loose which I've attached pictures of. If it's coolant, where should I look for the leak? I can't see any streak marks where it's flowing down from, just on the base of the floorboard.Click image for larger version

Name:	20191130_142646.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	1286290

Comment

Taste it. If its sweet, its coolant.

Heater core is about the only likely place, but if its leaking enough for the floor to be wet, you are definitely going to be smelling it. Windows will get foggy too.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Doesn't smell, and the windows don't fog up. It's supposed to rain all morning tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to tell if it's that. Thanks for the response

Comment

I had an irritating leak on the driver side of the car. After much much research I found out water was entering through dried up seam sealer at the base of the windshield where the factory mates up the firewall, a pillar structure etc. In my case water was entering in through there and then coming down behind the kick panel and then onto the floor. This could be one area to look into for your leak on the passenger side.

I solved it by cleaning out as much old seam sealer as I could from the described area and applied new seam sealer. I also apples some seam sealer above and around each front door hinge (where the hinge mates to the body) to ensure water was not creeping in through there.

Water leaks are not fun on multiple levels. Good luck.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X