PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 18x8 Wheels and Tires

Default 18x8 Wheels and Tires

I've looked through old posts-lots of stuff on 17" wheels.

I was looking at 18X8 wheels with 4.5" of backspacing. I was looking at 245/50 wheels all around- not worried about the rear, but a bit worried about rubbing on the front. Going to be installing speedway springs, so it will be slightly lowered. Anyone have experience with these? They are slightly taller than 255/50R17's, however almost half an inch narrower.

Thanks
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

That's only half an inch off center... so it may not have any issues since some folks run 9 inch wide up front and barely rub. If you do have issues... a half inch spacer would sort you out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

With my 17x8's and 255/50's, 4.5" backspace, i rub fender turning into driveways near full lock, and rub the sway bar a bit at lock. Hope that helps. My car is stock-ish height, although my springs are totally hashed. Rolling the inner fender lip in front definitely helps.

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

The big thing to understand is that not all tire sizes are created equal. I used to have 245/45/17s on my 01, I went to 235/55s, same tire manufacturer, same model of tire and ended up having to run my Eibach Pro wheel spacers to make them fit. And the 235 has 1/2 wider tread area than the 245s did. A size that may fit one car could be an entirely different story with another brand tire.

EDIT: I may have installed 245/50s, I forget! Lol
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Also depends on the wheels. My 245 45R17 tires on the American Racing slot wheels (4.5" backspacing) had no problems up front. The 17" x 7" P71 wheels with 235 50R17 (I think that was the OEM size) and 1.25" spacers rubbed the swaybar. Had I went with 1.5" spacers, I would not have had that problem. It seems to me it's all in the wheels.

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    That's only half an inch off center...
    4.5" BS on an 8" wheel is 0 offset. 8" is the width between the beads, and does not include bead width. A tape measure across the outer edges of the wheel will show 9", for a wheel that is advertised as 8" wide.

In the same way the diameter is not the gross diameter of the wheel, its the diameter at the beads.
    **1965 Ford Mustang Coupe: Currently on the Rotisserie, 306/T5/4.10s Long Term Street/ Strip Project
    **1990 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback: 5.0, 5 spd, 4.10s; 30K original miles Cruiser
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0, 6 spd, 3.73s; 17K miles Cruiser
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

Quote Originally Posted by P72Ford View Post
    4.5" BS on an 8" wheel is 0 offset. 8" is the width between the beads, and does not include bead width. A tape measure across the outer edges of the wheel will show 9", for a wheel that is advertised as 8" wide.

In the same way the diameter is not the gross diameter of the wheel, its the diameter at the beads.
    Good to know. I wish all the sites I researched wheel sizes on would actually state that. Most of them give one thing or another (BS or offset) but not both and leave you guessing. I do know the offset of the stock wheels are centered and most panthers should be able to handle 9 inch wheels up front and 10 inch out back without issue (maybe a little lip rolling). Personally, I wouldn't run anything that fat unless I was autocrossing it. But that's just me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.