Getting keys made

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting keys made

I just went to the local locksmith who's done all my other vehicle keys in the past - he's got a tether and a big laptop looking device he hooked up but it was not able to get the car to read the new keys he cut. He used Okoye (?) branded keys - does anyone know if I need to stick with a specific brand, or not?
    Last edited by knormal; 11-18-2019, 03:35 PM.

From an aftermarket key supplier on Amazon

You must already have 2 working unique (not cloned) keys in order to perform DIY programming.
    If you only have 1 or no keys then you will need to get this key programmed by an automotive locksmith or dealership.

Others here may be more helpful
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Yes, I know that's why I went to a locksmith with the equipment to program them - wondered if anyone had issues related to particular brand of keys?

Comment

I am guessing you have three keys now? two that work the locks but will not start the car, Will the car start with the original working key near the column while using the spare key to turn the ignition and unlock the column?
        If so a cheap option would be to hide the original key under the column cover close enough allow use of the the two spares.
        I know it is not a great solution but may keep you from having to buy more keys from either Ford or another source.
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I only have the one working key that came with the car, they didn't charge me for the ones that didn't work.

Comment

I called the shop back up and he said the one working key I have is cloned and that might have been why he was having issues programming it. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me since the car starts and drives, that should be enough to start to program the car to take new keys. Has anyone else had key programming issues?

Comment

Usually you need two working keys to get a third recognized by the car. The car may also be maxed on on number of recognized keys, and here you sit with your only option being somebody who has ford software (I think the IDS will do this) or the dealer ($$$)
              A cloned key is a key that has an identical signature to one of your original--ie: the car doesn't know the difference between the the original and cloned key, as far as the car is concerned it is the same key.

Comment

Working...
              X