Comment

Looking good.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Well ladies and gentlemen, we broke into the 9's.

Went to Irwindale Dragstrip in Irwindale, CA 7/29/21 and ran the 85 Marquis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7023.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1289383

DA was 1200

First pass I ran a 10.04 @ 68.38 with a 2.16 60ft.

I was ECSTATIC on ALMOST cracking the 9s, and I knew that I could run a 9 that night if I made some minor changes.

I dropped the tire pressure 4psi and tried launching about 400rpm higher, and the results really showed.

I dropped almost a tenth of a second! Second pass I ripped a 9.95 @ 68.89 with a 2.13 60ft.

(sorry that it's sideways)

Name:	IMG_7311.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1289384

I am still working with the stock bottom end, stock cam, stock CFI unit, stock E7 heads

Mods can be seen in my signature.

Next will be the hydraulic roller conversion (I have a stock Cobra cam that might play nice with the CFI unit).

I'm also considering some 1.7 rockers, as the rockers I had in there gave me some trouble, so these times are with the factory rockers.

I also have some new Tru-Coil springs and some fresh 8.8 Diff bushings that can go into the rear to maybe turn a 2.0 60ft.

So, can I claim fastest CFI powered Marquis yet?

Name:	IMG_7310.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1289385
        1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
        1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

You're probably already the fastest CFI-anything...

But seriously how have you made CFI ecm play nice with all those mods? Tuned with what?
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

With no authority to do so, I pronounce you the fastest CFI Panther in the land.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Awesome.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Believe it or not Arquemann, I haven't tuned it with anything.

Although, the ECM itself is not the original. It is a new/remanufactured unit that was installed in 2019

Maybe that helps in some way.

Also, from some information I have put together based on responses in this thread and other threads, I think the ECM unit is EEC-IV.

I could see that potentially helping it do what its doing.

I tried very hard to make the CFI unit run the best possible before doing the performance stuff, and I could see this helping as well.

The ECM responded fine to the mid-pipe swap so I gave the header swap a try.

It didn't give me any troubles with that either so I just pulled the trigger on the head/intake swap.

I figured it's a stock head, can't really make that much a difference.

And I couldn't bring myself to bolt on that stock iron intake, so I just got one of the smaller OTS dual plane manifolds available.

Even with all that the ECM surprisingly hasn't given me any issues, and drivability has not been compromised, at least out of my expectations.
                1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
                1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Originally posted by sluggish91 View Post
                  Believe it or not Arquemann, I haven't tuned it with anything.

Although, the ECM itself is not the original. It is a new/remanufactured unit that was installed in 2019

Maybe that helps in some way.

Also, from some information I have put together based on responses in this thread and other threads, I think the ECM unit is EEC-IV.

I could see that potentially helping it do what its doing.

I tried very hard to make the CFI unit run the best possible before doing the performance stuff, and I could see this helping as well.

The ECM responded fine to the mid-pipe swap so I gave the header swap a try.

It didn't give me any troubles with that either so I just pulled the trigger on the head/intake swap.

I figured it's a stock head, can't really make that much a difference.

And I couldn't bring myself to bolt on that stock iron intake, so I just got one of the smaller OTS dual plane manifolds available.

Even with all that the ECM surprisingly hasn't given me any issues, and drivability has not been compromised, at least out of my expectations.
                  It just baffles me how everyone keeps saying that CFI doesn't respond at all to modifications, and yet you've done so much.
                  '85 is EEC-IV, just like mine. Amazing that you've been able to do all this, while I can't get mine to run right at all, even though it's bone stock...

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                    It just baffles me how everyone keeps saying that CFI doesn't respond at all to modifications, and yet you've done so much.
                    '85 is EEC-IV, just like mine. Amazing that you've been able to do all this, while I can't get mine to run right at all, even though it's bone stock...

It was the ECM swap for me that really made it drive perfectly.

I did as much as I possibly knew how to do and could do before taking it to a technician.

Tech did as much as they could do before recommending an ECM swap, which we did, which solved all my drivability problems.

This was back in 2019 when I was still trying to make it drive real nice.

It still drives real nice though, I'll take some footage with my camera sometime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sluggish91 View Post
                      It was the ECM swap for me that really made it drive perfectly.
                      Is it just a stock replacement ECM? Mine had the ECM replaced in '19 when the mechanic was troubleshooting the issues the car had at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                        Is it just a stock replacement ECM? Mine had the ECM replaced in '19 when the mechanic was troubleshooting the issues the car had at that point.
                        Yes, stock replacement ECM, like something one would order from the parts store.

Comment

Here's some GoPro footage of the 9.95 test pass if anyone wanted to watch.

Sorry about the f-bombs, I was pretty excited.

Comment

Nice!!! Man, those return lanes look so narrow. I hope that was the camera making them look that way.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                              Nice!!! Man, those return lanes look so narrow. I hope that was the camera making them look that way.

Yea its the camera, I had to put it on the wide angle to get the entire car, dang front end is so huge.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              With no authority to do so, I pronounce you the fastest CFI Panther in the land.

Thanks man, I'm really gonna try and break the toilet bowl injection record, whatever that may be!

Comment

Nice.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X