No announcement yet.

1985 Grand Marquis 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save the pennies and get a 4bbl intake with a Holley Sniper to top it with.

That said... I like the ingenuity and reengineering, but I would rather just have a reliable car. A roller engine with EFI may be more spendy up front, but barring an accident, will probably last a lot longer.

To each their own. If someone wants to do the odd thing with their car, I'm not one to argue with that. I've done some odd things with mine as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
      For someone who already has a cfi car and put in a built motor, a modified cfi unit would be worth it.
      Until now, a built motor (or even slightly modified) and CFI hasn't really been spoken in the same sentence, as so many have screamed that you can't do shit with CFI. @sluggish91 has pioneered CFI performance, especially considering he's still running the stock ECM.

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
      It’s far more effort to convert over to mpfi. Yes it is superior but, for the most part, it’s plug and play. I’m strictly talking about a slightly modified cfi unit to allow more flow for a higher hp motor.
      If CFI plays nice with bigger injectors and playing with some fuel mapping, that's fucking great! But barely anything supports flashing the stock ECM and no aftermarket engine management is plug and play with CFI. Rewiring the system for a different ECU if possible, but the CFI is a bit crude for aftermarket management, mainly only having 2 injectors, poor fuel distribution no knock sensors, no crank or cam sensor and especially no IAC and it's substitute of dashpots and vacuum solenoids that will be a nightmare to control with a non-factory ECM.

SEFI is better even just stock vs stock, and where it really shines is in tuning, it has more headroom, there's legit plug and play engine management (MSPNP). Even if converting to SEFI is a bunch of work, it is very much worth it especially if you're going to modify it later on.

I have nothing against CFI or SEFI. It's cool sluggish91 is experimenting and even cooler that he's actually succeeded so far.
      While his CFI plays nice with all sorts of mods, mine is being a total bitch even totally stock. I am so fucking done with the CFI in my own car, and while converting to SEFI would be great, in the arctic wasteland of Finland the conversion is gonna be expensive, and I'd again be stuck with stock. I want mine to just WORK, I want a reliable companion. And I want to keep a big round air cleaner in the middle of my engine bay...
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
        ...And I want to keep a big round air cleaner in the middle of my engine bay...
        For whatever reason, that is what I absolutely loved about my old '85 LTD and our Chevy TBI stuff.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          For whatever reason, that is what I absolutely loved about my old '85 LTD and our Chevy TBI stuff.
          Same here with my CFI. The SEFI stuff just ruins the engine bay look. I considered a carb for mine for when my CFI takes a dump but now I’m leaning more towards a Holley Sniper setup. One could easily support a couple hundred HP with that and keep the round air cleaner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by matth825 View Post
            I considered a carb for mine for when my CFI takes a dump but now I’m leaning more towards a Holley Sniper setup.
            Oh I would too, but I'm broke asf so I'm going carb. Swapping to a Holley Sniper is a lot more work than a carb swap aswell, but probably well worth it. If I had money laying around, I'd probably go Sniper or even Edel's Pro-Flo 4.

Carbs are simple and cheap, just what I like. There still are quite a few carb tuning shops in Finland. Also carbs are gonna be around as long as ICEs, so I won't be scrambling for parts in 30 years. I'm betting the current Holley sniper will get outdated and unsupported at some point.

Comment

Glad this sparked a bit of conversation. As far as tuning goes I have a Moates Quarterhorse for my 94 Mustang that I could potentially use on my 85 Grand Marquis. I'm sure some of you on here have heard of Quarterhorse and maybe even used it before. After all, the 85 does work off of EEC-IV and it does have a J3 port, so the hardware itself will definitely work on the factory 85 ECM. Now, finding software that will support the ECM strategy might be tricky. Does anyone here know what strategy (operating system) the 85 EEC-IV ECM works off of? My current ECM had no information on the side like they usually do. The only letters on the entire ECM I could find were: E4LB-14A459-B and underneath that SMB-3B 1Z6 . If I could figure out the strategy I could cross reference which strategy is supported by which software, if any, or I could email Moates and they could lead me in the right direction as to wether or not the Quarterhorse will work with the 85 ECM strategy. Things might get interesting if this is a viable option.

On another note, I got some motivation to finally install my Tru-Coil Rear Springs that were sitting in my room for a couple months.
              I chose the #200 springs and I couldn't be happier.
              No more looking like I'm hitting lowrider switches when I go over railroad tracks at speed.
              It lowered the rear maybe 1/2in., not too much, but it will settle in a bit.
              The rear of the car feels stiffer between shifts, like it's putting the "power" down a bit more.
              I also *allegedly* tried a little WOT pull in a rural backroad area and *maybe if I really did it* there *would be* no more wheel hop, as I was getting just a bit of hop on the launch.
              All in all a great modification.
              Here are some pictures:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1289623

Name:	IMG_0914.jpg
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1289624

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1289625

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1289626

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1289627
              1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
              1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Another route would be to swap in a mustang cfi ecu if yours isn’t supported, which I don’t see why not. I found this on google. Not much info on the topic but it seems people can make decent power with a tuned cfi setup.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...I-Engine-Build

Comment

I think 1Z6 will be the program code.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’ve got a spare 85 CFI ECM in my parts stash with all the labels intact. I’ll post some pictures of it when I get home tonight. I’d love to see a quarter horse working on one.

Comment

Originally posted by matth825 View Post
                      I’ve got a spare 85 CFI ECM in my parts stash with all the labels intact. I’ll post some pictures of it
                      Here's what I had in mine, original '85 MGM ECM non-california, I don't think the other side had any print.

Name:	20200613_121522.jpg
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1289629

I wouldn't expect the Mustang CFI ECMs to be so different from panther ECMs that you couldn't tune them the same way.

Comment

My spare ECM is identical to that. Thanks for posting it! Finally dug mine out today to have a look.

Comment

Seeing that the fox and panther ecu’s are pinned the same and are interchangeable I’d bet the cfi fox ecu would be plug and play. In that link I posted it seems that I guess certain sensors have to be rescaled but it’s possible to make a cfi ho with a tuned stock panther or fox ecu. Pretty interesting idea since no one does it.

Comment

doesn't the ho ecm work best with an HO cam & firing order?
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yeah but that’s what I’m talking about. Using the ho cam with a tuned mustang cfi ecu.

Comment

I don't think the firing order matters here since its just a pair of injectors. Single O2 sensor too, so there is no concern about left/right bank trims. If there is any difference in the programming I would expect its related to injector size and calculated air flow, which would affect fueling and possibly timing as well. Tune one, tune the other, doesn't really matter if you're changing that stuff anyway.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X