PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Grand Marquis 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Good thing your car is over 30 years old. Except for the initial smog inspection, no more smogs checks the last time I checked.
    Thanks for posting the pictures. NICE. Hope you have stated value collector insurance on your cars. Way too many uninsured drivers, impaired drivers, and plain stupid drivers in Ca. Have you ever gone to the Pomona car part swap meet? Last time I went many years ago, it was pretty cool.
    My Dad and I went to the Pomona swap meet this year. Many amazing classic cars for sale. It's actually were we found the GT40X cylinder heads that are going on an engine build that's in the works for his 91. A great event to go to, and from what I know, it goes down a couple times a year.
    1985 2-Door
    CFI, K&N Filter, 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers,
    Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, 3G Alternator, Race Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, SVE Wheels, ET Streets, 3.55 Gear

Very nice car! Which all aluminum radiator did you use? Iím wanting to put one in my 85 Crown Vic. Itís got a spectra premium one in it right now and Iím not a fan of the plastic tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by matth825 View Post
    Very nice car! Which all aluminum radiator did you use? I’m wanting to put one in my 85 Crown Vic. It’s got a spectra premium one in it right now and I’m not a fan of the plastic tanks.
    Thank you. And the radiator I got it at AutoZone. I keep a log of the things I do to this car, and looking back at my notes from August 2019, this is a Spectre Aluminum 1 core radiator with plastic tanks. Might be very similar or the same as the one you have.
    1985 2-Door
    CFI, K&N Filter, 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers,
    Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, 3G Alternator, Race Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, SVE Wheels, ET Streets, 3.55 Gear

That's the same one I used too...a Spectra CU 547. It doesn't seem to be a bad unit. I found a two row all aluminum one on radiator express earlier this week. It appears to be made by champion. I'm going to give it a try. I was able to find some N.O.S heavy duty radiator mounts that are larger so hopefully it'll drop right in.

I post a lot...

What ever you do do not buy a Autozone Distributor you will go through lots of aggravation, trust me read my thread on my 90 Vic not starting.

Autozone dizzy is that's in the Mark VI I had. I think it's still in there. Obviously YMMV as parts are subject to be rebuilt badly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by matth825 View Post
    That's the same one I used too...a Spectra CU 547. It doesn't seem to be a bad unit. I found a two row all aluminum one on radiator express earlier this week. It appears to be made by champion. I'm going to give it a try. I was able to find some N.O.S heavy duty radiator mounts that are larger so hopefully it'll drop right in.
    Champion seems to be a pretty popular radiator brand. I can't knock the Spectra brand radiators though. I have a single core aluminum one with plastic tanks in my Mustang drag car and it has worked great since 2016. I think I paid like $75 dollars for it at O'Rileys. The Spectra radiator in my MGM has also been great since August 2019.
    1985 2-Door

Awesome...glad to hear the Spectra ones do hold up. I'll keep it as a spare or for another Panther owner.

I need help with my performance endeavors from those who've done CFI to carb swaps. I'm not interested in retaining the CFI or going SEFI or EFI, just not interested in going that route. Im committed to converting to a carburetor. Here is my build plan:

1985 LoPo 5.0 Block
    Stock Rotating Assembly
    SUM-K30062 Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft & Lifters Duration 284/284, Lift .512/.512
    7826-16 COMP Pushrods
    1.6 Ratio Roller Rockers
    GT40-X303 Aluminum Heads
    2121 Edelbrock Performer Intake
    (Holley Carb?) <--------------------------help me choose
    12-803 Holley Fuel Pressure Regulator
    12-289-11 Holley Mechanical Fuel Pump
    SUM-850303-1 Distributor (or something else?)
    (Ignition Coil?)<------------------------help me choose
    BBK Shorty Headers
    Mustang 2.5in H-Pipe
    Hooker 2.5in Mufflers

Are these parts compatible?
    What would you change in this build, if anything?
    Am I missing anything to convert over to a carburetor?
    I want to do everything in one shot.
    I have the heads
    I have the rockers
    I have the exhaust
    The block has 100k miles.
    AOD Transmission w/ Transgo AOD-HP Shift Kit
    Thanks for looking.
    1985 2-Door

In mid 85 Ford switched to a roller block so youíll have to make sure you have a non roller.

I have that same shift kit but I have yet to install it. I actually called the company that makes them and spoke to a tech. He was very nice and knowledgable. The nice thing about that company is that their shift kits can be combined. For instance, if you were to get the shift corrector kit then wanted a little more performance you could install the hp kit ďoverĒ it because they share parts and the valve body modifications are the same, albeit smaller holes are drilled for the corrector kit.

I have a Baumann kit thats set to firm, itíll rattle your teeth at wide open throttle lol. I donít like it though, maybe for a drag car but not my grampa mobile lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a non-roller block with a flat tappet cam, early 1985 block.

Haven't installed the shift kit yet.

Any thoughts on the carb conversion?
    1985 2-Door

Happy New Year to all my GM enthusiasts. Looking forward to some killer progress on my car this year. Started/ended the year with a dead battery, but no biggie. I said eff it and got an Optima. Any thoughts on which carb/ distributor/ coil to use on a carb conversions from CFI?
    1985 2-Door

I am considering doing the same to my 85. I am going to follow your progress so I know what to do when the time comes! I think I am going to go with a Duraspark setup for my distributor. I also considered just doing a points style distributor with a pertronix unit in it as well. It would be the simplest route.

Quote Originally Posted by whitemgm View Post
    I am considering doing the same to my 85. I am going to follow your progress so I know what to do when the time comes! I think I am going to go with a Duraspark setup for my distributor. I also considered just doing a points style distributor with a pertronix unit in it as well. It would be the simplest route.
    Duraspark used to be the go-to because of junkyard availability. Now that that’s a rare find in the junkyard, it’s pretty much a question of what you can afford and what you need. I like the idea of the old points distributor with the pertronix. Two wires, a 12v universal coil, and it’s running. But it won’t give you a rev limiter (if you need one).

As far as the carb, it’s a personal preference thing. If you want a Holley, go for it. Wouldn’t go over 600cfm. Use vacuum secondaries. Be sure it has a hole on the throttle linkage about an inch below the butterflies for a TV cable kit from Lokar.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Sweet. They are definitely some long studs. I'll end up doing the same on the front of another car I have. Needed the same spacer for the wheels to clear the Shelby caliper conversion. They are working for now, but I'd feel better with another 8 or 10 threads..
    All FORD All The Time

White collar, and a red neck P72Ford's Avatar

If the transmission you have doesn't have the HI-REV governor, add it to your list.

I would go with a Weiand Stealth intake, if you don't yet have the performer. For a carb, a Holley 4150 VS (as close to 600 cfm as possible), but you'll need to correct TV geometry. Ignition wise, a DS2 set up should be fine for your RPM range. What does the car have in it stock? I would also use a fuel pump that doesn't require a regulator; Carter makes some higher volume units that with provide the 5.5 psi a Holley is looking for. I would't order push rods without checking the length, and I would spend some making sure the valve stem witness marks are acceptable.

Running a flat tappet cam, I would add zinc or equivalent at every oil change.

Is this going to be a regularly driven rig, or a weekender? If you really want to make use of those tires I'd add a converter and some 3.73s (well I personally would go right to 4.10s) to the list as well. And if the build is just a weekend cruiser, ditch the damn VS carb and go right for a 600 DP. MS, 3200+ stall converter and the 4.10 gear will make it fun to drive.

**2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0, 6 spd, 3.73s; 17K miles Cruiser
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

I AM DOWNSIZING!!!!

Some progress was made on my little build over the weekend. I installed some BBK 1 5/8th unequal length shorty headers along with a Mustang h-pipe from Summit Racing. I also threw on some Flowtech flow tubes, and during the week I will be getting the Hooker Max-Flow mufflers welded up. I gotta say, without the mufflers it is LOUD. It needs mufflers big time. The Mustang h-pipe sits a bit low, but I'm hoping that when I take it to the muffler shop they can help tuck it up a bit better. I won't be doing tailpipes because that's not my style. I like dumped exhaust at the mufflers on my hot rods. Will post some pictures when everything is complete.
    1985 2-Door

View from underneath. They torched the h-pipe at the bends to tuck it up as much as possible. Because I used a Mustang H-pipe, it doesn't line up with the crossmember. In this picture they are still in the process of getting everything welded completely. You can see the stock hanger on the right and a hanger they used on the left.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5281.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	53346
    BBK Headers Passenger Side

Name:	IMG_5283.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	53344
    BBK Headers Driver Sider

Name:	IMG_5282.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	53345
    Side View of where the Mustang H-pipe hangs

Name:	IMG_5287.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	53342
    Another lower side view (theres the dark spot above the h-pipe bend where they torched it)

Name:	IMG_5285.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	53343

I guess if I really wanted to, I could get a longer piece of pipe to widen out the h-pipe and tuck it under with the crossmember humps. Only time will tell if that is necessary.
    As for the results of this mod, I couldn't be more satisfied. The sound is just..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . delightful. Really changed the entire dynamic of the car. I have to say it sounds on par, if not better than my Mustang. This is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds damn good. Now the mean sound is going to match the mean look. Still slow though!
    1985 2-Door

Awesome. No direct fit...at least for our application...so we tend to have to settle for things unless wanting to spend mega bucks on custom bent stuff.

I have FRPP (ford racing) headers with a BBK off road H pipe for a mustang. Id have to check how it sits...but I know it is not like stock...again no direct fit upgraded speed bits for our boats.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Awesome. No direct fit...at least for our application...so we tend to have to settle for things unless wanting to spend mega bucks on custom bent stuff.

I have FRPP (ford racing) headers with a BBK off road H pipe for a mustang. Id have to check how it sits...but I know it is not like stock...again no direct fit upgraded speed bits for our boats.
    Glad this isn't the first car I put my hands on. If I didn't have the bit of knowledge and this forum to help with guidance, I'd definitely be frustrated with the amount of "custom" stuff this car needs to even just do one mod. But ey, it's the path I've chosen to take. Knowing that there isn't aftermarket support for these types of cars urges me even more to want to customize it and enhance the performance. Just the wheels and exhaust alone have made a huge impact on how the car feels, drives, looks, and sounds. Really happy with how its turning out. Soon I will be gathering many parts for the carb conversion. In between gathering parts for that big swap, I plan on doing the front rotors and pads, front extended studs, and front Bilstein struts to match the rear set-up. Im basically just getting it ready for MO'POWA BABY.
    1985 2-Door

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast