Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Cheese-n-rice, talk about inflation..

Yeah, this is great community, lots of info here. They helped me big time with the box lifestyle. If not for this place, my '85 would have probably been sold sooner and I'd have condemned CFI. Now I actually like it.
    This community has taught me so much in such small amount of time. Knowledge is power, and this place is a sleeper. The heavy hitters lie deep within the realms, ready to floor the gas pedal of information as soon as an open highway of questions is met.

Funny, if you look back at my first post, and throughout this thread, I continuously turn my face away from the idea of CFI. Guess who's tryna make something interesting happen with it now? This guy!
    1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
    1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

With the mods you are doing on your car you got to keep in mind the smog laws and other laws pertaining to cars unless you trailer your car to the track to race only not drive it on the street Slugish91.

Comment

Thank you for the reminder Rodentkiller, all of the mods I am doing are emissions legal if I have my emissions components connected and operating.
        If I remove something I shouldn't, it is merely for experimental purposes, as I am well aware of all emission laws presently active in CA. I attended the Automotive Technology Program at my local College where I took a class one semester specifically to learn about emissions laws, components, and how they work. Some say there are loopholes in the system to help car enthusiasts here in California mod how they want. I have heard of people allegedly jumping through these loopholes.
        My car is due for a smog this year so I guess we'll see how it goes with all the mods that I am doing.
        1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
        1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtvic View Post
          the most important thing would be not getting held up about numbers but having fun and supporting the local track.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by sluggish91 View Post
            ...Funny, if you look back at my first post, and throughout this thread, I continuously turn my face away from the idea of CFI. Guess who's tryna make something interesting happen with it now? This guy!
            That's the spirit! I don't think I'd ever want to mod it, but I liked keeping my car original. When I got the system right, there was no better car from 40-60mph while cruising- until my Town Car that is haha. That's also why I like GM TBI, it is more sophisticated than CFI by a tick or two but like Ford CFI, everything is easy to access and service. The stuff just works and works.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I found this picture on the inter webs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultimate-CFI-Setup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1287122

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

It looks like a CFI unit but I don't see an electric choke.

The intake and EGR looks right and so does the distributor.

I'm wondering if this would be more effective than the stock hat with a KN filter in it.

Comment

5/17 Update

Hello there Grand Marquis friends, it has been a while since I posted.

I am enjoying my Marquis very much as it right now.

It is great to drive around town and floats on the highway.

I love the way it sounds and it doesn't even have to downshift to pass.

Latest thing I did to it was tint the windows. I think it looks a lot meaner, but at the same time a lot more executive.

Next I will be getting some type of music upgrade for it because my cassette player recently ate a cassette tape.

Here are some pictures I have taken on my drives around.

Name:	DSCF8161.jpg
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1289038

Name:	IMG_7865.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1289039

Name:	IMG_7956.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1289040

Name:	IMG_8045.jpg
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1289041

Name:	DSCF8139.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1289042

Here's a recent picture of the engine.

Name:	IMG_8036.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1289043

Even though it is still powered by the almighty CFI, it will chirp into second gear with ease.

If I load up the converter even a tad it really blows the tires off.

I love this car so much and hope to drive it around for a long time to come.

Thanks for looking.

Comment

The first picture is where my last Navy duty station was in Pt Mugu. CA. with VP-65. Now long decommissioned.
                  I remember seeing that donut place. Don't remember exactly were it was though.
                  Your car looks good.

Comment

Mean CFI eh? What did you do to it? I had an '85, and while I loved it and CFI, it was anything but a tire chirper or barn stormer

Car looks great, nice 3G swap and clean engine bay.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I suspect that 4.30 gear wakes up the CFI feel a bit. Would be cool to put it on a dyno and see what the upgrades did for it. Have you checked Air/fuel ratio or maybe try to read the plugs? I am wondering if it's a hair lean.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                        The first picture is where my last Navy duty station was in Pt Mugu. CA. with VP-65. Now long decommissioned.
                        I remember seeing that donut place. Don't remember exactly were it was though.
                        Your car looks good.
                        What's up there Mainemantom, yea that station is close to my home. I often see and hear some awesome military airplanes. The donut place is about 50 minutes away down Highway 1 off of the 10 freeway in Inglewood, CA. I guess it's pretty famous or something. It's in movies and in video games. The compliment is much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Mean CFI eh? What did you do to it? I had an '85, and while I loved it and CFI, it was anything but a tire chirper or barn stormer

Car looks great, nice 3G swap and clean engine bay.
                          Nothing done to the CFI unit, just rebuilt the unit with new injectors, new FPR, new TPS sensor, and cleaned the bejeezus out of it. My other mods are in my signature.

You know, everyone on here keeps saying that the CFI unit was never meant for performance, and after trying it myself, I agree. This set-up would do so much better if it had an actual fuel injection system to keep up with the little things I've done to it. I'm surprised it even chirps second and does burnouts. I have to give the transmission and differential mods the credit for that ability.

For now I will keep the CFI unit on there because it runs fine. I really wanted to carb swap to kind of keep the build "era appropriate" but these new Holley EFI Terminator systems and FAST EZ EFI systems seem to be the ticket for great drivability and ease of installation.

I really appreciate the kind words DerekTheGreat, I will post a tire chirp and burnout video soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            I suspect that 4.30 gear wakes up the CFI feel a bit. Would be cool to put it on a dyno and see what the upgrades did for it. Have you checked Air/fuel ratio or maybe try to read the plugs? I am wondering if it's a hair lean.
                            4.30s are night and day. Probably the best "performance mod". I will put it on the dyno one of these days just to see what it makes. I haven't checked A/F or try and read the plugs. I wonder the same thing Tiggie, and it's been something I've been meaning to explore. If I get curious enough I will get an AFR gauge and controller to make some discoveries.

Comment

Here's a little video I tossed together from a few clips I recorded.

Thanks to everyone for their interest in my build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by sluggish91 View Post

Here's a little video I tossed together from a few clips I recorded.

Thanks to everyone for their interest in my build thread.
                                Excellent!!!
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X