PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 1985 Grand Marquis 2-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    This is one of the most interesting threads im following right now because of the originality of what you're trying to do
    If you get a wideband sensor and gauge I think it would help you with modifications quite a bit, that way you can see exactly how your engine is responding to the modifications your making.
    The more modern 4 hole injectors supposedly atomize the fuel better than the older pintle style ones
    If I were to get a wideband I'd get something like an Innovate LC-2 with the gauge. The question I have for you is where would you mount the sensor? Considering there is already a sensor on the passenger side bank of the h-pipe, would it be ok to just install on the driver side bank of the h-pipe? Would this create inaccurate readings? Should I mount lower at the h-pipe crossover? Thanks for your input and for your interest in this weird stuff I'm experimenting with.
    1985 2-Door
    CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, Race Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Motive 4.30 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own quite possibly the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.95@68.89mph

GMN Regular

I wouldnít mess with it until you can get an afr reading when itís acting up. I donít see why you couldnít use an 86-91 drivers side header with an o2 sensor bung.

Iím not sure itís the injectors, youíd think theyíd cause issues with the stock injectors too since the throttle plates didnít change. You could pull the plugs and check to see if the front cylinders are being starved for fuel to rule that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    I wouldn’t mess with it until you can get an afr reading when it’s acting up. I don’t see why you couldn’t use an 86-91 drivers side header with an o2 sensor bung.

I’m not sure it’s the injectors, you’d think they’d cause issues with the stock injectors too since the throttle plates didn’t change. You could pull the plugs and check to see if the front cylinders are being starved for fuel to rule that out.

Thanks for the response and input. I would hesitate to use a 86-91 drivers side header as I already have BBK shorties on the car.

What should I be looking for in the front spark plugs?
    We are talking about cylinders 1,2 and 5,6 yes?
    1985 2-Door
    CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, Race Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Motive 4.30 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own quite possibly the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.95@68.89mph

GMN Regular

Quote Originally Posted by sluggish91 View Post
    Thanks for the response and input. I would hesitate to use a 86-91 drivers side header as I already have BBK shorties on the car.

What should I be looking for in the front spark plugs?
    We are talking about cylinders 1,2 and 5,6 yes?
    Well if you really think itís biasing fuel to the rear cylinders check the fronts for signs of lean mixture and the rears for rich running.

Interesting, its also possible its going significantly richer in the upper RPM's and making it lose power. You can definitely install it in the other bank. The reading will be very close side to side. The closer to the header the better, for a faster response reading, don't mount it any farther away from the header than you need to. I have that same Innovate setup, I like it. I also kind of doubt that its biasing richer in the rear compared to the front...but spark plugs would tell you. Light beige is really the ideal color, darker, or black means too rich. Theres lot of charts/guides online for reading plugs
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Fuzzy memory here but I want to say there was some sort of metal diverter thing in or below the HO CFI units that did something to even out fuel distribution. I don't remember particulars but I think it was designed to deal with the off-center spray that happens by firing above the throttle plates.

read the plugs individually and see what the fuel distribution is like. That will tell you. The stock manifolds are a typical split design, one injector feeds the middle two on one bank and the outer two on the opposite. That will also tell you if its an injector problem or an injector location problem. If its one funky injector you'd get two inner and two outer that read odd. If its a distribution problem you'll get the back or front plugs on both sides reading funny. Probably need new plugs for this, or at least extremely clean ones to get an idea of what its really doing. Uncle Tony's Garage actually recently did a video on reading plugs to work out fuel distribution problems. He's messing with a 4bbl on a slant six but that doesn't really matter.

https://youtu.be/7ILJd2Ytx0w

Advantage of doing it with the plugs vs a gauge is you can see what each cylinder does rather than the average of what all 4 are doing. The ECM looks at the average of all 4, but you could have 2 fat and 2 lean and it averages out close enough to right for the ECM to be happy with that. Engine won't run for shit that way but the O2 sensor or the wideband will be happy enough that you won't know why.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678