1985 Grand Marquis 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hey friends, didn't want to just say I did something without proof so here are the timeslips from October's races. (1/8th mile times)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Marquis Timeslips.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1290842

First race I beat my dad, cut a solid 2.105 sixty foot, ran a 9.69 @ 70.69

Second race he got a better reaction time and crossed the stripe first and got the win light, even though I got a faster time.

We are 1 and 1 now.

He was happy with his two times and the last race I ran against a little Honda. Focused as much as possible on my launch and cut a solid 2.100 sixty foot and got my best time ever with a 9.658 @ 70.74 mph!!!

CFI POWER FOR THE WIN!!!!
      1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
      1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

I wanted to show my last 1/8th mile times because they were my best times I have ever ran with my Marquis.

Since then I did end up doing a hydraulic roller conversion and I did take it back to the track since the hydraulic roller conversion was done, but it somehow it managed to run slower. I want to say it had to do with the track temperatures, the AOD TV rod adjustment, and the different ignition timing after the conversion. It was cold that night, I didn't have my TV rod adjusted optimally and I think I was running like 13-14 degrees, compared to around 20 when I got my best times. Tire pressures might have been a bit different as well and well, that track outing showed me that it doesnt matter what you do to your car, if the track aint workin things just aint gonna work in ones favor.

With the hydraulic roller conversion done I was hoping to dip into the 9.5@71 range, but was put in place when it knocked off a 9.934@69.55

So I lost about .5-1mph and I lost about 2-3 tenths.

Really it seems it could have been the track that night that was working the way it was because after the conversion it felt WAAAY better and sounded WAAY chunkier.

I'll be returning to the track in January to see if I cant get this thing to dip into the 9.5 range.

I ended up using a 95 cobra camshaft, and it is playing real nice with the CFI unit. Next will be some good 1.7 rockers to match the cam and free up a bit of rotational friction.

Thanks everyone for their interest in this build, and thanks for looking.
        1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
        1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

I wanted to show my 1/8th mile times in my last post because they were my best times I have ever ran with my Marquis.

Since then I did end up doing a hydraulic roller conversion and I did take it back to the track since the hydraulic roller conversion was done, but somehow it managed to run slower. I want to say it had to do with the track temperatures, the AOD TV rod adjustment, and the different ignition timing after the conversion. It was cold that night, I didn't have my TV rod adjusted optimally and I think I was running like 13-14 degrees, compared to around 20 when I got my best times. Tire pressures might have been a bit different as well and well, that track outing showed me that it doesn't matter what you do to your car, if the track aint workin things just aint gonna work in ones favor.

With the hydraulic roller conversion done I was hoping to dip into the 9.5@71 range, but was put in my place when it knocked off a 9.934@69.55

So I lost about .5-1mph and I lost about 2-3 tenths.

Really it seems it could have been the track that night that was working the way it was because after the conversion it felt WAAAY better and sounded WAAY chunkier.

I'll be returning to the track in January to see if I cant get this thing to dip into the 9.5 range.

I ended up using a 95 cobra camshaft, and it is playing real nice with the CFI unit. Next will be some good 1.7 rockers to match the cam and free up a bit of rotational friction.

Thanks everyone for their interest in this build, and thanks for looking.

Comment

Great update. I like seeing how far you have pushed CFI.

Did you degree the cam? I did not in my 68 and I'm convinced that part of why it's a slug compared to my 94.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thank you Tiggie, its been fun, challenging, interesting, surprising.. but no I did not degree the cam. I have seen people degree cams with the wheel on YouTube. I am going to try and bump the timing a bit more to see if anything happens.

Comment

After many ideas being thrown around in my head over the course of my ownership of this car, I have finally discovered a way of injecting nitrous into this CFI unit. I don't know why I didn't think of it before. Stay tuned for my failure or success.

Comment

Working...
                X