No announcement yet.

1985 Grand Marquis 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a non-roller block with a flat tappet cam, early 1985 block.

Haven't installed the shift kit yet.

Any thoughts on the carb conversion?
    1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
    1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Happy New Year to all my GM enthusiasts. Looking forward to some killer progress on my car this year. Started/ended the year with a dead battery, but no biggie. I said eff it and got an Optima. Any thoughts on which carb/ distributor/ coil to use on a carb conversions from CFI?
      1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
      1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

I am considering doing the same to my 85. I am going to follow your progress so I know what to do when the time comes! I think I am going to go with a Duraspark setup for my distributor. I also considered just doing a points style distributor with a pertronix unit in it as well. It would be the simplest route.

Comment

Originally posted by whitemgm View Post
          I am considering doing the same to my 85. I am going to follow your progress so I know what to do when the time comes! I think I am going to go with a Duraspark setup for my distributor. I also considered just doing a points style distributor with a pertronix unit in it as well. It would be the simplest route.
          Duraspark used to be the go-to because of junkyard availability. Now that that’s a rare find in the junkyard, it’s pretty much a question of what you can afford and what you need. I like the idea of the old points distributor with the pertronix. Two wires, a 12v universal coil, and it’s running. But it won’t give you a rev limiter (if you need one).

As far as the carb, it’s a personal preference thing. If you want a Holley, go for it. Wouldn’t go over 600cfm. Use vacuum secondaries. Be sure it has a hole on the throttle linkage about an inch below the butterflies for a TV cable kit from Lokar.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sweet. They are definitely some long studs. I'll end up doing the same on the front of another car I have. Needed the same spacer for the wheels to clear the Shelby caliper conversion. They are working for now, but I'd feel better with another 8 or 10 threads..
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

If the transmission you have doesn't have the HI-REV governor, add it to your list.

I would go with a Weiand Stealth intake, if you don't yet have the performer. For a carb, a Holley 4150 VS (as close to 600 cfm as possible), but you'll need to correct TV geometry. Ignition wise, a DS2 set up should be fine for your RPM range. What does the car have in it stock? I would also use a fuel pump that doesn't require a regulator; Carter makes some higher volume units that with provide the 5.5 psi a Holley is looking for. I would't order push rods without checking the length, and I would spend some making sure the valve stem witness marks are acceptable.

Running a flat tappet cam, I would add zinc or equivalent at every oil change.

Is this going to be a regularly driven rig, or a weekender? If you really want to make use of those tires I'd add a converter and some 3.73s (well I personally would go right to 4.10s) to the list as well. And if the build is just a weekend cruiser, ditch the damn VS carb and go right for a 600 DP. MS, 3200+ stall converter and the 4.10 gear will make it fun to drive.

**2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Some progress was made on my little build over the weekend. I installed some BBK 1 5/8th unequal length shorty headers along with a Mustang h-pipe from Summit Racing. I also threw on some Flowtech flow tubes, and during the week I will be getting the Hooker Max-Flow mufflers welded up. I gotta say, without the mufflers it is LOUD. It needs mufflers big time. The Mustang h-pipe sits a bit low, but I'm hoping that when I take it to the muffler shop they can help tuck it up a bit better. I won't be doing tailpipes because that's not my style. I like dumped exhaust at the mufflers on my hot rods. Will post some pictures when everything is complete.

Comment

View from underneath. They torched the h-pipe at the bends to tuck it up as much as possible. Because I used a Mustang H-pipe, it doesn't line up with the crossmember. In this picture they are still in the process of getting everything welded completely. You can see the stock hanger on the right and a hanger they used on the left.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5281.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	1286383
                  BBK Headers Passenger Side

Name:	IMG_5283.jpg
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1286381
                  BBK Headers Driver Sider

Name:	IMG_5282.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1286382
                  Side View of where the Mustang H-pipe hangs

Name:	IMG_5287.jpg
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1286379
                  Another lower side view (theres the dark spot above the h-pipe bend where they torched it)

Name:	IMG_5285.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1286380

I guess if I really wanted to, I could get a longer piece of pipe to widen out the h-pipe and tuck it under with the crossmember humps. Only time will tell if that is necessary.
                  As for the results of this mod, I couldn't be more satisfied. The sound is just..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . delightful. Really changed the entire dynamic of the car. I have to say it sounds on par, if not better than my Mustang. This is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds damn good. Now the mean sound is going to match the mean look. Still slow though!

Comment

Awesome. No direct fit...at least for our application...so we tend to have to settle for things unless wanting to spend mega bucks on custom bent stuff.

I have FRPP (ford racing) headers with a BBK off road H pipe for a mustang. Id have to check how it sits...but I know it is not like stock...again no direct fit upgraded speed bits for our boats.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Awesome. No direct fit...at least for our application...so we tend to have to settle for things unless wanting to spend mega bucks on custom bent stuff.

I have FRPP (ford racing) headers with a BBK off road H pipe for a mustang. Id have to check how it sits...but I know it is not like stock...again no direct fit upgraded speed bits for our boats.
                      Glad this isn't the first car I put my hands on. If I didn't have the bit of knowledge and this forum to help with guidance, I'd definitely be frustrated with the amount of "custom" stuff this car needs to even just do one mod. But ey, it's the path I've chosen to take. Knowing that there isn't aftermarket support for these types of cars urges me even more to want to customize it and enhance the performance. Just the wheels and exhaust alone have made a huge impact on how the car feels, drives, looks, and sounds. Really happy with how its turning out. Soon I will be gathering many parts for the carb conversion. In between gathering parts for that big swap, I plan on doing the front rotors and pads, front extended studs, and front Bilstein struts to match the rear set-up. Im basically just getting it ready for MO'POWA BABY.

Comment

Nice Job!
                        Im also looking to install Headers, is this the same as yours? https://www.amazon.ca/BBK-1515-Chrom.../dp/B000CITCX6

Comment

Originally posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
                          Nice Job!
                          Im also looking to install Headers, is this the same as yours? https://www.amazon.ca/BBK-1515-Chrom.../dp/B000CITCX6
                          Yes, same ones, BBK 1515, 1 5/8th shorties in chrome.

Comment

Also, does your H pipe bolt right onto the headers?

Comment

Originally posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
                              Also, does your H pipe bolt right onto the headers?
                              My h-pipe works and bolted right on because I'm using one that's intended for an 87-93 Mustang. But the stock h-pipe will not work. The bolt holes will not line up properly. The tube diameter is different so the ball and socket ends won't connect properly.

Comment

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000CI...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Does this seem right?

Comment

Working...
                                X