No announcement yet.

'79 351W Revitalisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I yanked the whole cfi harness off my 84 with a 302 and just ran it with a mechanical pump, carb, and duraspark. You just need 12v start, 12v run, and ballast resisted run voltage for the coil. Easy peazy. You also dont need to worry about a TV throttle linkage making it even easier, since your 79 is a c4 car.

Comment

IF you do find a VV replacement, there are two models. One for the 255/302 and one for the 351. Make sure you get the right one.
      If you choose to rebuild the existing unit, get a fresh rebuild kit. DO NOT ADJUST ANY INTERNAL ADJUSTMENTS ! Just clean, replace what needs replacement . What usually went bad was the diaphragms. It is worth a try. If the internal adjustment were messed with, unless a professional did the job, it never will run again. There is also a special tool called a water gauge which is suppose to be used. I never did. Considering the age and the one year only use of many 1979 parts, I would vote with the others here to get rid of it. I hated those VVs but I got over 200k miles on the three I had.

Comment

Rip all that out- if you want to go a step farther rip the smog stuff out and plug the back of the heads with bolts. You can just turn the module into DS-II as gadget said and the dizzy/module will work just fine. You can get a remanned 2150 off rockauto. Just make sure it has the linkage for the TV rod. I suggest trying to find a 2150 with the larger venturi size if you can (1.23 I believe, or 1.21??)

You can try to make the existing system run with a replacement- but it will not be as reliable as a 2150 and a good old DS-II system, at least not with everything aged as it has
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

That distributor is odd though, no advance at all. EEC-III distributors didn't have one, but those ran off the crank trigger.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you want to go the way of rebuilding the VV contact Nathen in Min he did it in his College Dorm room and got his car to run right just a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
              I yanked the whole cfi harness off my 84 with a 302 and just ran it with a mechanical pump, carb, and duraspark. You just need 12v start, 12v run, and ballast resisted run voltage for the coil. Easy peazy. You also dont need to worry about a TV throttle linkage making it even easier, since your 79 is a c4 car.
              Oddly enough, the manual doesn't specify a C-4 at all, but either a FMX or C-6. And apparently checking the dipstick about the required fluid will supposedly answer the question of which, if the manual is completely accurate.
              1978 Ford LTD wagon, 351M
              1979 Mercury Marquis, 351W
              1987 Ford F-250 HD 4x4, 460, 4-speed, reg cab full bed
              2003 Mercury Marauder, 4.6L DOHC, JLT CAI, 4.10 gears, J-mod, custom tune

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                Rip all that out- if you want to go a step farther rip the smog stuff out and plug the back of the heads with bolts. You can just turn the module into DS-II as gadget said and the dizzy/module will work just fine. You can get a remanned 2150 off rockauto. Just make sure it has the linkage for the TV rod. I suggest trying to find a 2150 with the larger venturi size if you can (1.23 I believe, or 1.21??)

You can try to make the existing system run with a replacement- but it will not be as reliable as a 2150 and a good old DS-II system, at least not with everything aged as it has
                I'll be getting a rebuilt 2150 for $40 later this week from someone in the local Panther community. As for the smog stuff, yeah, I want to pull it out, open some space under the hood. If the thermactor holes are the same size and thread as those in the 351M/400 heads, I may be good. I bought new thermactor plugs for my LTD because I thought one was missing, but I never used them because it turned out my missing plug wasn't missing, it was just partially disintegrated. I ended up just plugging the port with some JB Weld SteelStik. Been holding up for a couple years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
                  If you want to go the way of rebuilding the VV contact Nathen in Min he did it in his College Dorm room and got his car to run right just a suggestion.
                  I'm not sure I will. There are a lot of related sensors and such of which I cannot seem to locate replacements. If they're bad or go bad, a rebuilt VV carb won't do me much good, so it seems like rolling back away from this transitional technology would be for the best. But thanks for the mention of who could be helpful.

Comment

Probably an FMX. The C6 was the heavy duty trans that mostly got used in trucks and behind big blocks. Me, I'd swap that for a late AOD and put in a not-stupid ratio diff. Its probably got something in the 2.26 range to try and make fuel economy without overdrive.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

maybe only 302 cars got a c4 for 79? I know I pulled a c4 out of my 79 tudor. If you just glance under... cast iron case it's an FMX, if your bellhousing is a part of the case you have a c6, if it's all aluminum with a bellhousing that comes off the case it's a c4.

Comment

I took a look at the dipstick, and it indicates Type F fluid, which according to the manual excludes the C-6. And if it's anything like my LTD, then yeah, the C-4 was relegated to the 302. So, likely the FMX. Also doesn't look like anything different from my LTD in terms of linkages between the carb and trans, very similar throttle connections (only difference I see is how the cruise control connects, but it has the same type of connection to the throttle overall), so the 2150 should be an easy bolt-on swap without any worry about TV cables.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

My 1979 LTD S with the 351 had a C-4 ! I could not believe it. I thought it would have been a FMX. Nope, C-4
                          That car was very odd. Originally a Avis rental car out of Los Angeles. Did the airport, Disneyland and tourist trap route.
                          Last edited by Mainemantom; 12-04-2019, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Probably an FMX. The C6 was the heavy duty trans that mostly got used in trucks and behind big blocks. Me, I'd swap that for a late AOD and put in a not-stupid ratio diff. Its probably got something in the 2.26 range to try and make fuel economy without overdrive.
                            I think they used the C-6 in this car if it came with a towing package from the factory, based on the manual info. Ultimately I think I might end up putting a C-6 into it somewhere down the road, unless I can get an AOD that can handle abuse as well as the C-6. I have plans for power under the hood, but I'll get that all figured out somewhere after I get it back into running condition. And after I get things squared away with my wagon and truck.

Comment

I've never been much on the C- transmissions. Slushy shifts, not enough gears, and the C6 especially is a power pig. The AOD is plenty strong if its built correctly, stock they're a bit blah.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                I've never been much on the C- transmissions. Slushy shifts, not enough gears, and the C6 especially is a power pig. The AOD is plenty strong if its built correctly, stock they're a bit blah.
                                If I were to go the C-6 route, I'd be getting something that tweaked up for performance applications, not stock. But at this time it's really just musings. I'm definitely going that route with my wagon, but that's a whole different can of worms altogether. It's getting a fully matched drivetrain for a version built with the class III tow package.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X