about to tackle my first power steering hose this weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about to tackle my first power steering hose this weekend

Have a bad leak on the new to us last month '02 - haven't replaced a PS hose before - looked online looks pretty straightforward - so wish me luck! I was able to start some PB blaster on the flarenut on the steering box last weekend. So hopefully it all goes smoothly.

Oh, and the factory service manual is on it's way thanks to the link sharing done here!

Good luck! let us know how everything goes

Comment

it may seem obvious but make sure you have the correct hose and good threads on the new line before you start. It would suck to start off with a messed up or wrong line with the old one off.
      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Use flare nut wrenches. Regular open ones will tend to slip and round the nut off.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I guess it didn't go too badly - but my flare nut/line wrenches would not fit on the nuts in those spaces. :/ I used regular open end wrenches without issue. BUT, when I went to put the new hose on (apparently a Gates I bought on ebay) the nut was not crimped onto the hard line and would not stay on. I had to run to OReilley's get another hose - don't know why I just didn't go to them in the first place. Have started a return with the ebay seller for the defective part.

My factory service manual arrives today, so I'm looking forward to that.

Oh, and it used less fluid than I thought it would take to fill it up. (It's an '02 with steering box.) I used power steering fluid, but wonder if I should drain it and use Mercon V instead?

Comment

use whatever the manual says. not sure if thats Mercon V, Type F, or Mercon/Dexron. Its honestly not that big of a deal so long as it has the proper amount and the fluid isn't nasty.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

my 00-03 Ford Service Manual says... 2002 should use Mercon... so Dex/Merc or MercV should be fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X