Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1970 Marquis 2dr ht. Brougham (not Grand but Marquis still)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970 Marquis 2dr ht. Brougham (not Grand but Marquis still)

I bought this 2 years ago. The fella who owned it passed away in 2001. The family had it in a quonset since. They wanted room. They had all these dem derby guys wanting it. Then pull motor for rat rods. So I stepped up to save it.
    It has the original factory Vynyl roof. The car was Dark Met Brown and was painted red and has some bad body work done to it. It is fairly solid, has some rust issues that are fixable. Has 429 Auto.
    Motor is currently chained down I got new mounts for it. Also a better front clip. The old one had been damaged and rad support welded. Got all that plus a better hood.
    I look forward to get it running and having a good time cruising in it. To feel it float down a highway.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	marquis 005.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1305127

Welcome. I am partial to brown but that red doesn’t look half bad on there. Have fun with it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I will be going back to the brown. It will look better with the vynyl roof.

Name:	70 Marquis.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1286247

Comment

Name:	marquis 004.jpg
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	1286248
        I cannot seem to get the hamg of posting several pics together.

Comment

Pretty rare Mercury 2 door. Hard to find good parts. They had horrible brakes even when new.
          In 1970, the California Highway Patrol had the 4 door Monterey (Low end Marquis) as patrol cars. 429 motors. They were great except for stopping ! They still had drum brakes on all four wheels. When they got hot, forget stopping anytime soon. In 1972 I could have bought a run out with about 80K miles for about $900. I still want a genuine Chip 1970 Merc and a 1991 CV. Maybe in my dreams.

Comment

Nice looking project, good on you for saving it. I'm sure a lot of these have been lost to demo derbys/rust over the years.

Repaint it back to brown, tint it, lower it some, run the dual exhaust out behind each rear tire, disc brake swap and throw some wider Magnum 500 wheels on it. Bet it would look/sound good and still be a nice daily. Love the 429's.
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Really nice looking ride. Glad you saved it from the derby guys.. that car is in wayyyy too nice of condition for that.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Awesome save! I hope the engine and transmission won't need too much work.
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Nice Merc! It doesn't have to say "Grand" in front of the Marquis to belong here. I would have a hard time leaving that 429 alone LOL

Comment

I love the survivor look to it. great car. enjoy it. and Welcome
                    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Have not been here since I joined. Laid up with Knee replacements. My own personal rebuild of myself. LOL
                      I did work on replacing the dash padd the old one was cracked in a few places. Also rebuilt the plastic air vents in the dash. At least I could do this while laid up.
                      I did get a 69 Marquis 2dr ht parts cars. A real rust bucket, Trunk pan falling out and quarters flap their wings going down the road and kids smashed all the glass so interior ruined from elements. But a donor she will be. . But it too has a 429 4bbl. It also has Disc brakes. I will be swapping those onto mine.

Name:	Dash pad 004.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1286648

Parts car pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7117.JPG
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	1286649 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7119.JPG
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1286650

Comment

I'm more interested in that two-tone F series. Gotta be a '92-'96. What are the details on it? Manual trans??
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

That is my F350 Diesel . My work truck for pulling trailer with the cars on it. 4X4 5spd std. Plan to eventually sell it when I get my 78 F350 up and going with new motor.Click image for larger version

Name:	92 Ford F250.JPG
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1286653

Comment

Thas a noice truck. I love those two tone paint schemes. I'd be willing to dabble with diesels if it wasn't an extended cab, that wheelbase is almost as wide as a house haha.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Cool old Merc, can't beat a 70s big block for luxury cruising. I would like one too someday.
                              96 MGM
                              sigpic
                              Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X