fuel tank leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel tank leaking

So my fuel tank leaked all over the place while in storage, so i had to deal with that, and that involved me draining the tank and removing it from the car (since i dont want to deal with it in the spring) I was wondering if there are any tips you guys could give me for re-assembly, I currently have a spectre premium f3 tank ordered, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Longer studs, or unscrew the existing ones as far as you can to make your life easier. Replace the seal at the fill neck, consider a new boot up at the fill door end too. New O-rings under the fuel pump and sending unit plates, and if either of those are questionable, change it while its already out. Flush out the evap vent thing that sits at the top too. It gets gummed up with old fuel and then you get a fuel smell and the tank hissing at you when removing the cap.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have always put a thin piece of rubber strap between the gas tank straps and the tank. It prevents sand, dirt from getting between those areas and putting a pinhole leak in the new tank. When I lived in the Ca. desert, that was a problem with the sand. In the rust belt, salt or the salt brine would be a problem. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Internal rust and rot is common with our Crown Vics. Check the filler neck carefully and make sure it's not rusted through as well (fuel pressure issues could result from a leaky filler neck). Take gadget73's advise! Also don't trust that old filler neck doughnut. Good luck and wear safety goggles when working.

Comment

I just put a new tank in my 89 Wagon. The lock ring provided with the Spectra fuel tank is junk. Try to use the original if it is in good shape. WagonMan
          89 Colony Park
          90 Colony Park
          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

It must be the time of year for tanks. I just had to put one in the Squire. Had a friend's lift open for the day, so I used it and his help.

The Spectra was sold out, so I ordered the Liland Global IF19 at $95.79 + the ride minus 5% from RockAuto.

Absolute +1 on longer studs - not sure what of each dimension changed but the factory studs do not work. My filler neck donut was fine; couldn't find one local anyway so I reused it. The lock ring provided with the Liland Global tank was a tight fit, but did seal tightly with the provided O-ring gasket.

'91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
            formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Originally posted by a_d_a_m View Post
              It must be the time of year for tanks.

Absolute +1 on longer studs - not sure what of each dimension changed but the factory studs do not work.
              I don't need to replace the tank, but do have a new fuel pump hanger assembly to go in on Saturday since we put a hole in the return tube last week on the 7 year old hanger assembly. (Luckily '90+ non wagons don't require tank dropping.)

The factory studs were longer at the factory, the nut was put on then the studs were broke off at pre-scored spots leaving the studs short. At least that's the explanation I've heard a few times.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I ended up having to use the new ring, because the old one was in bad condition, hopefully it will be fine.

Comment

Also whats the size for the stud and nut for my 85' (just in case I have to drop the tank again)

Comment

something metric I'm sure. M10 or M12 most likely. Nut size would mostly tell you. M10 usually uses a 17mm socket , M12 is 19mm.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X