Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 LTD Crown Victoria intermitant no start stalling when hot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 LTD Crown Victoria intermitant no start stalling when hot.

I am haveing a very vexing problem, I had a Blue Print 5.0 L HO engine installed I had to get a new Distributor was recomended to go to Advance Auto and so when my car is at operating temp it won't start wait 1/2 hr to 45 mins will start. My mechanic recomended a new fuel pump so I have new pump pick up the car was in the drive through lane stall could not get my CV started so now I am thinking, I have a defective Distributor and I hate to chase gosts. This problem is driveing ne nuts so any suggestions?

Maybe a bad TFI module on the dist? When it doesn't start have you verified you have fuel pressure?
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

No start when at operational temprature.

I am a haveing a vexing problem I am not at the tool throwing and hair pulling stage in life I had a Blue Print 5.0L HO engine installed in my car and a new Distributor installed now when i drive my car shut it down come out 1/2 hr it won't start wait a further 45 to 1hr will start, my mechanic said to replace the fuel pump that was done. Got my car back drove home so on the way home stalled in the Micky D's drive through could not get it started tow truck driver did, so I tried to replacate the circumstances car will start everytime I don't want to wipe out the Starter and battery, so I am beginning to think I have a bad Distributor on my hands so any suggestions

Comment

I have a new pump in the car. It is possable the TFI is defective thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Sounds like TFI to me, but I’ll let the others chime in.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah this sounds like classic TFI module garbage. If you were closer i'd loan you one of my spare distributors to try out.

Comment

you will have to have on hand a way to test for fuel pressure ,spark and injector pulse if equipped with injectors. having a remote starter button will help also.
              I will say your problem sounds typical of a TFM but it also could be a number of other issues. all of this is easy enough to diagnose with the proper tools that can be picked up as loaners from most parts stores. either hang parts on it or diagnose it until your broke or its fixed.
              2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

also inclined to say TFI module or the pickup. Under-hood temps increase when you first shut an engine off, and it sounds like something is getting heat sensitive. Once it cools some more it works again.

also not impossible its a bad relay thats getting stupid when it gets warm, either ECM or fuel pump power. Either would cause it to have no fuel pressure. Basically you need to find out if its no spark or no fuel when it won't go. Generally speaking fuel pumps work or they don't. The problem you're having doesn't sound at all like a fuel pump issue to me.

also, duplicate threads merged for clarity
                Last edited by gadget73; 11-27-2019, 05:31 PM.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Gadget73 for both answers I am thinking it is a TFI they are world famous for failure. KHead thanks for the offer of the loan of a Distributor but you are right a drive to Cali is over 300 miles and one day for me and that sucks.

Comment

+1 classic heat issue with the TFI module.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Update I replaced the Distributor with a new not rebuilt one and my car runs now woooot!!!

Comment

Outstanding!

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                          X