PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 87 Wagon...thinking of putting in an offer..Tell me why I shouldnt.

Default 87 Wagon...thinking of putting in an offer..Tell me why I shouldnt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Ford-C...n/352868670921

For some reason it just looks boring and it is not bringing any high bid along...The two may be related.

I dont know where the 35k or 30k went (both figures mentioned within the ad) but I myself have that much into mine and others would say the same thing. lol

I can say with full certainty it will NOT reach ANYWHERE near whatever the reserve may be set at but I am still game.

Tell me why I shouldn't. I know the underside is a bit suspect looking...any other reasons?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Those silly driving lights.

Kidding. The leather tan interior is a really a nice sight to see. Pictures make it look pretty good, but you can make photos hide issues pretty good too if you do things at the right angles. If you can get it cheap enough, I’m sure it’d be a solid driver.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Those silly driving lights.

Kidding. The leather tan interior is a really a nice sight to see. Pictures make it look pretty good, but you can make photos hide issues pretty good too if you do things at the right angles. If you can get it cheap enough, I’m sure it’d be a solid driver.
    Based off of the sellers other inventory in addition to the description with this ad I dont see this selling for cheap. I totally see the bids being cheap but I doubt the seller would let this go for under 15k. I laugh HARD at 15k. Again, only speculations on my part.
    ~David~

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

Looks like the interior was a darker tan then it was spray painted or otherwise dyed, in several places you can see where the cheap paint or dye has come off.
    This car looks like a pig with lip stick, meaning someone did a cosmetic only restoration if you can all it that. everything else seems old run down and original.
    There is now way I would buy it or even consider it without a personal inspection.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Would you be willing to link a picture of the aforementioned areas? I only ask As I cannot see it. I also own a beige/tan interiored 87 Crown Victoria and I would like to think I am quite UP on what looks correct and what doesnt.

One thing I noticed is that the front seats appear to be re upholstered. The headrests remain stock and untouched NOT re upholstered.

Quote Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
    Looks like the interior was a darker tan then it was spray painted or otherwise dyed, in several places you can see where the cheap paint or dye has come off.
    This car looks like a pig with lip stick, meaning someone did a cosmetic only restoration if you can all it that. everything else seems old run down and original.
    There is now way I would buy it or even consider it without a personal inspection.
    ~David~

I post a lot...

5 doors are too cool for you. Your limit is 2.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Would you be willing to link a picture of the aforementioned areas? I only ask As I cannot see it. I also own a beige/tan interiored 87 Crown Victoria and I would like to think I am quite UP on what looks correct and what doesnt.

One thing I noticed is that the front seats appear to be re upholstered. The headrests remain stock and untouched NOT re upholstered.
    Scroll down on the page where you see all the pictures, then blow up the pictures that shows the left side of the column, the drivers door panel (door pull area) the threshold and surrounding pieces. The car is a mess, just blow up the pictures you will see if you look close enough.
    Most of the wear and pealing paint is at the drivers side but is evidence that what I am saying is true. Sort of looks like the dash cap-possible cover is the original color peeking through and every thing else has been spray painted to match the color of the new upholstery. It even looks like they painted over some plastic clip mounted under the steering column cover.

I post a lot...

Definitely a road trip or a personal inspector before any sizeable offer.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Here are some pictures of just a few things I noticed, it was blown up with my pc then pictures taken with my iPad so they may not come out clear Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E9103C10-79C7-471E-AD94-23F88617F2D6.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	53217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19E6D9BE-6ADF-4349-8D17-F466063061E3.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	53218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF504065-0DD7-47E5-84F7-819FD0509C7A.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	53219Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C88F8F4-DD47-4BF6-AABC-BE92DF931583.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	53220

Appreciate the critical eyes.

I do see some discolorations in areas that match normal wear my car suffers from BUT this wagon has a damaged door panel at the pull strap. Kind of a bummer.

The B pillar trim is heavily worn from ass rubbage into and out of vehicle.

I also notice what appears to be a stuck power antenna.
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9C88F8F4-DD47-4BF6-AABC-BE92DF931583.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	53220

Your last photo shows something interesting. The passengers side has it as well. It is all I can call it as I do not know what "it" is. lol
    ~David~

The backwards driver side B pillar seat belt just caught my attention.......
    ~David~

Those clips look like they are some sort of cable ties that have been painted over. The stuff I mentioned looks like peeling paint or dye if it was worn plastic I wouldn't think it would be a different color.
    I would much rather find a car that has not been restored and fix it up to my liking rather than pay for crappy work that cannot be undone.

The prices of clean wagons seems to keep going up. I could maybe see someone paying 8-9k for it.
    Personally, I'd pass at 5k.

I've got to laugh at that the $35k restoration on it. Ya we've all dumped a lot of money into worthless cars, but at least we upgrade them a little bit while we do it.
    Single exhaust and not even a rear sway bar.

Those clips are crack pipe holders! LOL!
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

The tan interiors get pretty bad fade depending on what they're exposed to, so I could see someone trying to touch it up.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I’d wait on an nice untouched original car...

I think that one is hiding things.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Why not:
    2G alt, no headlight relay mod, no blower relay mod, all fire hazards are still intact.
    lopo
    off-road poacher lights
    Dealer stratosphere pricing
    tailgate hinges

Why to:
    You already know how to do all the anti-fire mods needed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

If the exterior of the wagon is as good as it looks (paint condition and wood vinyl) I can overlook interior discrepancy’s.

Having a car repainted is A LOT of hard work. Having it done right also costs mega bucks. It is also something that is not easily done by the diyer that I am. It is nice to not have to deal with paint and body on a car purchase. I’ve done it and it’s a drag.

We will see where this goes. At this point in time I see the price escalating far beyond what it should or what I am willing to
    fork over.
    ~David~

If the exterior of the wagon is as good as it looks (paint condition and wood vinyl) I can overlook interior discrepancy’s.

Having a car repainted is A LOT of hard work. Having it done right also costs mega bucks. It is also something that is not easily done by the diyer that I am. It is nice to not have to deal with paint and body on a car purchase. I’ve done it and it’s a drag.

We will see where this goes. At this point in time I see the price escalating far beyond what it should or what I am willing to
    fork over.
    Yeah that is the question. was it done right. I would at least ask for non studio pictures, it is such a dark car with a all white brightly lit background even blowing the pictures up I couldn't see the body panels or any defects.

Perhaps you can find someone from our forum or other forums you belong to and ask them to inspect the car for you.

I get it once you see what you like and get the itch to make it yours nothing else matters other than the bottom line.

As far as the dealer from the little I researched it they seem to have positive reviews.

But you still have time, email the company ask them about the things we noticed, and the paint work etc and see what they say. if they are decent they will offer up more information about the car than we even thought about asking. Also have them post a walk around video of the car.

My instinct and mechanical background is telling me this is one purchase that unless it is bought at the right price you may regret and even then you will see things about that car that will make you cringe.
    Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 12-03-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast