In tank fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In tank fuel pump

Hello- In the near future I am looking to get the Holley Sniper fuel injection system. They can come with an external pump. However I was wondering how hard it is to put a stock pump into my existing fuel tank and what other modifications would need to be made to make it work? Or do I need a whole new tank, pump, and sending unit? Would it be easier to do the external unit?

Thanks
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

If your tank is the same shape as the boxes up to '87; and the sending unit and pump/pickup are in the same locations; you could reference the Fuel Pump Upgrade Sticky in this section. It may be useful if those variables are the same for your LTD.

Comment

The master parts manual does show a different fuel tank for EFI vs non-EFI. I don't know how different they really are, other than the non-EFI one claims 20 gallons and the EFI one is 18. So there it is, the infamous 20 gallon fuel tank.

I can't find a listing for the retaining ring used to hold the pickup on the non-EFI cars so not sure if the hole size is the same. Worst case, new tanks aren't that terribly expensive.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you remove your tank; you might have to put new strap studs back in. That's what happened when I replaced my tank. When I went to wrap the straps around; they wouldn't match up to the original stud. I think Ford strapped the tanks in, and broke the excess off of the studs. Just something to be aware of.

Comment

Your gas tank will not support a fuel pump. Your gauge sending unit is also your feed and return line for your mechanical fuel pump. The intank pump is mounted on the trunk side of the tank. which your tank clearly doesn't have. You will need a 83-89 sedan gas tank. You will also need a different gauge sending unit or a means to seal the fittings on the old sending unit.

Comment

standard EFI sending unit should do it. That would be more reliable than trying to seal off the pickup I'd think.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the stud advice!

So sounds like I should buy a new tank, do the higher flow fuel pump, and somehow acquire an EFI sending unit (do they sell those new?). I'm guessing I just use EFI hose to connect it to my existing hard lines. Do stock pumps run via a relay, or direct wire?
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                Thanks for the stud advice!

So sounds like I should buy a new tank, do the higher flow fuel pump, and somehow acquire an EFI sending unit (do they sell those new?). I'm guessing I just use EFI hose to connect it to my existing hard lines. Do stock pumps run via a relay, or direct wire?
                They don't sell the efi sending units new. That would be a junkyard or ebay NOS item. The stock pumps are controlled by a relay. Will need to get creative with the lines off the tank to go to the original lines.

Comment

Are you doing the return style or returnless Sniper system? Returnless Master Kit seems to include an internal fuel pump that you can just add to your existing tank.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

wonder if you could use a 90s tank with the front mount plate. Might be slightly easier to connect things, and you can get those assemblies new. Need to verify if the fuel gauge sender range is the same tho.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      wonder if you could use a 90s tank with the front mount plate. Might be slightly easier to connect things, and you can get those assemblies new. Need to verify if the fuel gauge sender range is the same tho.
                      The resistance value changes the opposite way and values are different.

Comment

I'm doing the return style. This is all good info. I always prefer to do it once, and do it right.
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X