New Member in Chicago Suburbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member in Chicago Suburbs

Hello all! I just joined the forum a few days ago. I'm finding all sorts of great info here! Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge! I picked up my first panther in July of this year. It's a 1985 Crown Vic. I've wanted an 80's one for quite some time. It had 34,000 original miles on it when I purchased it from the second owner. Along with the purchase I received a binder that had almost the entire history of the car. The original window sticker, dealer invoice and pictures of the original owners with the car were included in it. The car was bought by an elderly couple in Pennsylvania. Luckily it didn't see too much winter driving as the body is in very good condition. In 1992 the husband passed away and the car sitting more. It had around 15,000 miles on it at that time. The wife only drove it another 15,000 miles between 1992 and 2008. She went into a nursing home around then and the car sat until 2015 when the second owner here in Illinois purchased it. The original and second owners took very good care of it. The two pictures below were taken about a week after I bought it. I'll get some more in the spring time as it's in storage for the winter. I don't want salt getting anywhere near it! She's been a good car!.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	58631131416__17087231-EE3C-4E0A-B971-1CB8E97CC3A0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1305142

Name:	IMG_0894.jpeg
Size:	719.8 KB
ID:	1305143

So far I've changed the timing chain (it had the original with the nylon coated gear), water pump, hoses and radiator. I have a aluminum/plastic Spectra Premium radiator in it now but would like to swap it out for an all aluminum unit. If someone could tell me who makes a good one that fits properly I would appreciate it as my searches have been inconclusive. Thank you!

Glad to be a member and happy to have found the forum!

-Matt
    Last edited by matth825; 12-07-2019, 10:20 PM.

What a beauty. It is nice to buy something that has all the records. Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Nice car!

Comment

Welcome!

Very nice car, looking forward to more pics in the spring.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Awesome. Welcome.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Car looks like a cream puff. Good find!
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Wow very nice ride, well cared for. Sure to be POTM sometime

If you do not mind could you share with us what you paid for it? thanks
              2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

What a nice car., and a Great find.
                Welcome to this place. There are lots of knowledgeable people here.
                Have you considered having your original radiator re-cored.? While you're at the radiator guys place he can possibly add more cores or fins per inch for more cooling effect and it will still bolt right up and be OEM.
                Good luck.!!
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Welcome to the party! That's a beautiful panther you have and we're all glad to see it. You'll grow to love it here, there is a wealth of knowledge and a good bit of humour as well. We have a good time.

Comment

Wow, I love it. Almost had to take a cold shower.

Need pics of the interior and the window sticker as well as the engine bay.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thanks for all the welcome messages guys! I felt the same way when I first saw it...thought I was going to pass out! I sold a motorcycle to fund it. I paid $5500. The seller wanted $6000 but came down when I told him I was going to have to put a timing chain, water pump, radiator and hoses in it. He was happy it was going to someone who appreciates these cars. Some people called me crazy for making the purchase...I just told them they'd feel the same way I do about it after they go for a ride!

I snuck out to the garage and snapped a few more pictures. Sorry for the cramped nature of them...I've got a small garage and most of the space is now occupied! I promise to get some better ones in the spring.

Name:	car1.jpeg
Size:	827.5 KB
ID:	1286316

Name:	car3.jpeg
Size:	859.1 KB
ID:	1286317

Name:	car2.jpeg
Size:	739.6 KB
ID:	1286318

Name:	car4.jpeg
Size:	836.2 KB
ID:	1286319

Name:	IMG_1609.jpeg
Size:	713.5 KB
ID:	1286321

Name:	IMG_1606.jpeg
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	1286322

Glad I changed the timing chain right away!

Found an '83 tudor for sale while out taking a ride at the beginning of October so I figured I'd take a quick picture with it. Had a nice talk with the tudor owner. He wanted way too much money for the shape it was in.

Name:	IMG_1218.jpeg
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1286320

I didn't consider having the original radiator re-cored. I like that idea. I did keep it...I'll check around and see if I can find a good radiator shop.
                      Last edited by matth825; 12-09-2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

What is way too much? Always curious where these numbers are.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

He was asking $3500. It had 55,000 miles on it. The rocker panels were badly rotted. It also had hail damage to the hood, roof and trunk lid. He had a dentless paint removal guy try to pop some of the hail damage out but had to stop because the paint started coming off.

Comment

Beautiful car man. Super clean. Like, SUUUUUPER clean. I dig. These cars really are incomparable in comfort compared to other vehicles on the road today. Hands down the most comfortable cars I've ridden in have been panther platform Grand Marquis and Crown Victorias. They're basically a couch on wheels. And good on ya for swapping that timing chain. Mine was just as loosey goosey when I swapped to a double roller.
                            1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
                            1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Holy hell that's a nice looking ride! Welcome to the forum!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X