PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: New Member in Chicago Suburbs

Default New Member in Chicago Suburbs

Hello all! I just joined the forum a few days ago. I'm finding all sorts of great info here! Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge! I picked up my first panther in July of this year. It's a 1985 Crown Vic. I've wanted an 80's one for quite some time. It had 34,000 original miles on it when I purchased it from the second owner. Along with the purchase I received a binder that had almost the entire history of the car. The original window sticker, dealer invoice and pictures of the original owners with the car were included in it. The car was bought by an elderly couple in Pennsylvania. Luckily it didn't see too much winter driving as the body is in very good condition. In 1992 the husband passed away and the car sitting more. It had around 15,000 miles on it at that time. The wife only drove it another 15,000 miles between 1992 and 2008. She went into a nursing home around then and the car sat until 2015 when the second owner here in Illinois purchased it. The original and second owners took very good care of it. The two pictures below were taken about a week after I bought it. I'll get some more in the spring time as it's in storage for the winter. I don't want salt getting anywhere near it! She's been a good car!.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58631131416__17087231-EE3C-4E0A-B971-1CB8E97CC3A0.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	53236

Name:	IMG_0894.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	719.8 KB 
ID:	53237

So far I've changed the timing chain (it had the original with the nylon coated gear), water pump, hoses and radiator. I have a aluminum/plastic Spectra Premium radiator in it now but would like to swap it out for an all aluminum unit. If someone could tell me who makes a good one that fits properly I would appreciate it as my searches have been inconclusive. Thank you!

Glad to be a member and happy to have found the forum!

-Matt
    Last edited by matth825; 12-07-2019 at 09:20 PM.

fomoco panthers !

What a beauty. It is nice to buy something that has all the records. Welcome to the forum.

Nice car!

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Welcome!

Very nice car, looking forward to more pics in the spring.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Awesome. Welcome.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Car looks like a cream puff. Good find!

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

Wow very nice ride, well cared for. Sure to be POTM sometime

If you do not mind could you share with us what you paid for it? thanks
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

What a nice car., and a Great find.
    Welcome to this place. There are lots of knowledgeable people here.
    Have you considered having your original radiator re-cored.? While you're at the radiator guys place he can possibly add more cores or fins per inch for more cooling effect and it will still bolt right up and be OEM.
    Good luck.!!
    All FORD All The Time

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Welcome to the party! That's a beautiful panther you have and we're all glad to see it. You'll grow to love it here, there is a wealth of knowledge and a good bit of humour as well. We have a good time.

Wow, I love it. Almost had to take a cold shower.

Need pics of the interior and the window sticker as well as the engine bay.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Thanks for all the welcome messages guys! I felt the same way when I first saw it...thought I was going to pass out! I sold a motorcycle to fund it. I paid $5500. The seller wanted $6000 but came down when I told him I was going to have to put a timing chain, water pump, radiator and hoses in it. He was happy it was going to someone who appreciates these cars. Some people called me crazy for making the purchase...I just told them they'd feel the same way I do about it after they go for a ride!

I snuck out to the garage and snapped a few more pictures. Sorry for the cramped nature of them...I've got a small garage and most of the space is now occupied! I promise to get some better ones in the spring.

Name:	car1.jpeg 
Views:	71 
Size:	827.5 KB 
ID:	53244

Name:	car3.jpeg 
Views:	66 
Size:	859.1 KB 
ID:	53245

Name:	car2.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	739.6 KB 
ID:	53246

Name:	car4.jpeg 
Views:	64 
Size:	836.2 KB 
ID:	53247

Name:	IMG_1609.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	713.5 KB 
ID:	53251

Name:	IMG_1606.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	584.0 KB 
ID:	53252

Glad I changed the timing chain right away!

Found an '83 tudor for sale while out taking a ride at the beginning of October so I figured I'd take a quick picture with it. Had a nice talk with the tudor owner. He wanted way too much money for the shape it was in.

Name:	IMG_1218.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	53249

I didn't consider having the original radiator re-cored. I like that idea. I did keep it...I'll check around and see if I can find a good radiator shop.
    Last edited by matth825; 12-09-2019 at 08:17 PM.

What is way too much? Always curious where these numbers are.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

He was asking $3500. It had 55,000 miles on it. The rocker panels were badly rotted. It also had hail damage to the hood, roof and trunk lid. He had a dentless paint removal guy try to pop some of the hail damage out but had to stop because the paint started coming off.

Beautiful car man. Super clean. Like, SUUUUUPER clean. I dig. These cars really are incomparable in comfort compared to other vehicles on the road today. Hands down the most comfortable cars I've ridden in have been panther platform Grand Marquis and Crown Victorias. They're basically a couch on wheels. And good on ya for swapping that timing chain. Mine was just as loosey goosey when I swapped to a double roller.
    1985 2-Door
    CFI, K&N Filter, 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers,
    Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, 3G Alternator, Race Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, SVE Wheels, ET Streets, 3.55 Gear

Holy hell that's a nice looking ride! Welcome to the forum!

Damn. I might just be able to squeeze $6,500 out of my Town Car after all..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Smile

Welcome to the forum! That's definitely a well preserved example and it looks like it's lived a pampered life. Enjoy it and keep on pampering it in the years to come!

Thanks everyone! Sluggish91--it sure is a couch on wheels. I have to be careful on long drive because it starts to lull me to sleep like sitting in my recliner does! I was surprised the timing chain hadn't jumped with how loose it was, too. I went with a Cloyes true double roller replacement so hopefully I'm set for some time. I had to change the water pump and timing cover as well...the stud bolts were badly seized in the aluminum and it wasn't pretty taking it all apart. The replacement ones are stainless so that shouldn't happen again.

She has had one very pampered life and will continue to be! I do have a few cosmetic issues to take care of still. there are a few spots of corrosion on the bottoms of the fenders that I'm going to get taken care of in the spring. She also had some surface rust on the undercarriage/floorpans that I had cleaned up and encapsulated right after I bought her. I think the garage she was stored in was damp and that's what caused it.

GMN Regular

Welcome! Looks like you drove it home from a Ford dealer's showroom
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    You may regret selling it. Think it over.

I post a lot...

I had an orignal Radiator on my 90CV, if yours goes bad don't bother to recore the radiator get a new one to get an aluminum radiator go to Radiator Express.com good luck by the way nice car for it being in the land of snow and salt.