Speed Density ECU VM 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Density ECU VM 1

No plans to get into mods so far that I'll need to swap to Mass-Air.
    I've been reading elsewhere that the VM 1 ECU performed better than just about any other SD ECU.
    Soo.. Any info on this.?
    All FORD All The Time

VM1 is setup for the 86 HO. Same blah E6SE heads as you have stock and a unicorn throttle body at 58mm (your car has 50, 87+ HO was 60) but it is tuned for the HO cam.

What mods do you have planned?

I don’t have first hand experience, but I have heard running a manual trans ECM in an automatic leads to fried ECMs. Something about the differences in neutral safety switch ground IIRC. Maybe an internet myth but worth looking into.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Eventually I'll be doing the Megasquirt PNP. I'm just debating this experiment to see if it has any value.
      The reputation this specific ECM has among some of the mustang guys is pretty crazy.
      The same ECM for the auto is a … VJ 1.?? I can't remember.
      I have a set of AFR 165's on the shelf, and a pair of the BBK shorties..so..
      The mods FOR NOW are those, a cam ground to keep the S/D happy and stay focused on torque below 5K, new timing set, and maybe a remanned stock distributor.
      Whatever intake I stumble upon for the right deal and maybe I'll use the BBK 75MM TB I got on a swap.
      Fuel pump and injectors to suit..and then who knows.?
      Ultimately, all the parts I'm accumulating will find their way onto a 351W I already have so... It's kinda just screwing around.
      I'm hoping my cam grinder friend cam make one that will be happy in my LoPo for now and then be happy in the 351 later.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

there is something about the neutral safety wiring. One is grounded or open, the other is +12v or open I think. Forget specifics but switching a manual and auto ECM one way will make it not give you codes, the other way damaages something in the ECM and I forget which way makes the magic smoke come out.

Also the manual ECMs have much less initial timing, so they tend to suck in an auto just from a seat of the pants feeling. That was done to help save the not super robust manual trans from getting scattered and to make up for the loss of power in the auto trans. I have a legit "cop chip" Mustang SSP ECM in my car, the only difference that we could find between the standard auto mass air tune and the SSP one is some extra timing. Basically the cop car should have slightly improved 0-60 performance vs the same car with the civilian ECM.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I found an untouched '86 mustang with an AOD last night. The guy is parting it out... So I'm hoping to get the ECM picture today with the 'VJ 1'(...???)
          All FORD All The Time

Comment

STILL half-heartedly searching for an '86 HO/Auto ECM. Anybody have one they want to part with.?
            I also stumbled across a young man that has 5 or 6 boxes sitting on his farm property.
            3 are wagons. When I get time to take pix...I'll get them on here.
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

You'll have better luck locating a D9S from a Mark VII. You're probably better off as it's a speed density ECU for basically a heavier mustang.

Comment

Got a DA1... Now if this is actually going in there I gotta learn about the neutral safety switch thing. It makes sense that the auto 'puter would increase the idle slightly in gear..whereas the standard 'puter would do nothing. Any guidance there.??
                the D9S sounds interesting... anybody got one.?
                The guy with the wagons in his yard didn't work out.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                  Got a DA1... Now if this is actually going in there I gotta learn about the neutral safety switch thing. It makes sense that the auto 'puter would increase the idle slightly in gear..whereas the standard 'puter would do nothing. Any guidance there.??
                  the D9S sounds interesting... anybody got one.?
                  The guy with the wagons in his yard didn't work out.
                  Don't waste your time with a manual computer unless you absolutely have to. The NDS wiring is different than the clutch switch wiring. It's 12 volts vs ground issue. So sending 12 volts to pin 30 of the ECM when it's expecting a ground is not Kosher. You can remedy that by removing the wire from pin 30 of the ecm. But that will keep you from running self test, and possibly cause stalling issues.

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-COMP...sAAOSw4pteNE-x

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ford-M...wAAOSw5ZBWHt9y

Comment

Don’t waste money on a custom cam to “keep the SD happy”...it won’t. I was Mr. Speed Density for quite a while...then I went MAF and never looked back.
                        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          Don't waste your time with a manual computer unless you absolutely have to. The NDS wiring is different than the clutch switch wiring. It's 12 volts vs ground issue. So sending 12 volts to pin 30 of the ECM when it's expecting a ground is not Kosher. You can remedy that by removing the wire from pin 30 of the ecm. But that will keep you from running self test, and possibly cause stalling issues.
                          It's pretty obvious I have a LOT to learn.. Thanks.
                          I'll pick up one from the links you provided. I'm not able to do re-pinning...so it's plug and pray/play for this guy.
                          We'll see how this goes. I'd be in deep Kim-Chee without this resource.
                          Ya'll are a good bunch. Thanks again.

..UGH...
                          The following errors occurred with your submission

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.
                          All FORD All The Time

Comment

you're gonna have to do some minor re-pinning for mass air, but its really not hard. Its honestly more difficult to physically remove the ECM after 35 years than it is to modify the wiring.
                            On an 86 you will need to add the VSS wiring though, otherwise the EGR does dumb things. Its one wire, not that big of a deal.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              you're gonna have to do some minor re-pinning for mass air, but its really not hard. Its honestly more difficult to physically remove the ECM after 35 years than it is to modify the wiring.
                              On an 86 you will need to add the VSS wiring though, otherwise the EGR does dumb things. Its one wire, not that big of a deal.
                              I'm not going to do Mass-Air. I'm going to TRY to make a stock D9S work in Speed Density. If it just won't work... I'm going for the Megasquirt PNP..
                              I've been educating myself slowly here and on other forums and I think this is worth trying.
                              One fella explained to me that if I know the flow rates of the original car that my computer comes from, Compare them to my actual flow rates.
                              Work that into a % increase. So lets say it's 25%.
                              If I increase my fuel accordingly...25%.. Numerically it SHOULD get me in the ballpark. VE of the engine makes this get wacko as RPMS change.
                              The wideband will tell me a lot. GOTTA get me one.
                              He claims the tables in SD programs CAN allow for varied air/temps/etc.. but the sensors have to be ALL from that car and be jiving.
                              WAY more info here and there.
                              If the idle isn't happy, There's a few things we're going to try. Restricting the vacuum is one.
                              As this unfolds.. I'll post stuff here to hopefully help squelch the hate of SD.
                              One fact is clear to me. SD cars are quicker for some reason.
                              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                              X