99 Presidential only starts if remote starter used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

99 Presidential only starts if remote starter used

So, my newly acquired 99 Presidential edition only starts if I use the aftermarket remote starter.
    If I try to start it the old fashioned way(with the key), the security light on the dash flashes rapidly and the car will not start. Period.
    Give it 30 seconds and it will let the remote starter start it.
    I'm guessing that maybe the key has a microchip that the security system has to recognize?
    The keys are genuine Mercury keys with plastic molded handles with the Mercury logo molded into them.
    There are no buttons on the keys, nor any seams where the handles would separate for battery replacement.
    I'm trying to make sense of it and I'm coming up blank.
    Any guidance would really be appreciated!!!

short version.. the remote start unit itself (or a fugly install) is whats causing the key not to work.

firstly, if you have a warranty on the remote start, dont touch it. let the installer fix it.

there are several different kinds of remote start systems and different brands program different ways, but from my experience, there should be a module under the dash that got installed with it. it stores key data when programming during installation so when you remote start it, it mimics a key in the cylinder. if the unit gets "confused" or has a bunch of "data collisions" they can lock up and when they do they wont allow the normal key to be "read". sometimes a simple reset by unplugging power and plugging back in works. if a simple reset doesnt work, it could be dead. its also possible that the install could be physically interrupting the starter wire on the column. in this case, the remote start needs to be operating properly to complete the starter wire. being a 99 i would guess that its probabaly a fairly old model installed when car was newer and internal bit could have died.

good luck! multi meters help alot with diagnosing these.
    Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 12-12-2019, 11:56 PM.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Sounds like something is up with the PATS system. Possible its related to the install, or maybe the antenna or key is bad.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Sounds like something is up with the PATS system. Possible its related to the install, or maybe the antenna or key is bad.
        ^ this, i vote install related
        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Thanks guys, I did neglect to mention that my grandmother had the remote starter installed about 8 or 9 years ago, so there's no warranty to fall back on, AND...... the keys worked just fine about a month ago(before the temperature got low enough that I actually started using the remote starter)...
          I haven't disconnected the battery or done anything to the car at all, aside from checking the oil & tire pressure, putting gas in it, and driving it.
          I did put a new battery in one of the factory keyless entry fobs about a week ago.
          I wouldn't think that would make a difference, but I suppose it could.

I hope it's not as ignorantly over-engineered as my wife's 07 Chrysler Pacifica(the AWD rocket/turd bucket)....
          I love/hate(mostly hate) that car.

Comment

There could be some loose connections (like the start input to the remote start module that tells it the key is in use) or a bad relay that passes that through the module to the starter. I would just check all the connections and make sure they're all still good. Old crimps tend to get loose.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X