PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Police/Taxi package shocks

Default Police/Taxi package shocks

Looking around online I've found that I can get a full set of Police/Taxi package shocks for half as much as the luxury(non P/T) package shocks.

My 99 Presidential edition(the "Land Ark") desperately needs shocks, and as you can guess, I don't have a couple hundred bucks for a set of top of the line name brand shocks.

Being a gear head, I have a good understanding of the differences between the two packages.
    The P/T package had stiffer springs, bigger sway bars, different shock valving, etc.
    With that in mind, will the P/T shocks be too "firm" when used on a non P/T car or will it be barely noticeable?
    I already have a super floaty car that wants to violently change direction over bumps on corners, especially above 40mph so I don't want to waste my time and money on shocks that give me a stiff car that still wants to change direction in bumpy corners.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is this on a Lincoln? I installed KYB P71 spec Gas-A-Just shocks on all 4 corners on my 03 CV Sport. Made it noticeably firmer but not something that I would consider jarring. Rides smooth still and doesn't seem to dance on bumps. The rest of my suspension is stock (front springs and rear air springs) so I haven't upset the balance yet. Just my .02

Check out RockAuto for shocks. I got a good price on mine there.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

I used police spec Motorcrafts on my 88 for about ten years. Handles good for what it is, but is moderately more harsh.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

Worn shocks would explain the bouncy floating ride experience but it does not explain the whole change of direction around corners.
    I would suggest checking your car over for worn suspension parts, tie rod ends ball joints, bushings, bearings etc. Worn shocks will stress and wear these parts out faster than normal.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

fomoco panthers !

I would inspect the front suspension before changing the shocks. Our roads are horrible. I have the police shocks and suspension on the Lincolns & CVs. I like the firmness. The brand makes a difference too. Hard to determine before buying though. If you do not have a rear sway bar, I would add it for more stability. I like a very firm ride. You might have to get the sway bar out of State though due to the horrible rust and lack of good junkyards.

Quote Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy View Post
    With that in mind, will the P/T shocks be too "firm" when used on a non P/T car or will it be barely noticeable?
    On a panther, the p/t shocks will barely register as firmer. You will notice a bit better overall behaviour, but firm is not a term I would use with the p/t shocks until you get into the 2003+ years.

Alex.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Exactly, its not like you're going to make it ride like a dump truck. It will just be somewhat less floaty.

also a big +1 on making sure you don't have additional problems. Really bad rear shocks can let the back wheels hop and do what you describe but so can worn steering parts.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Thanks everyone!
    The front end components are all tight, but they are also the factory originals.
    Not a grease fitting to be seen.
    I was going to grease the front end two weeks ago because it has a distinctive squeaking when turning, but without grease fittings that's an impossible task.
    The front shocks are starting to float just a tiny bit, but the rears are absolutely spanked.
    My wife and daughter get nauseous riding in it because the back bounces so badly.
    The front only has about 10% of the bouncing that the rear does.
    I'm planning on replacing everything in the front end for all new parts with grease fittings when tax refund season arrives, but the shocks are an absolute necessity and I plan on getting them before Christmas.
    Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

Just be careful with the ball joints they are known to break and cause more damage or a wreck if they are making noise you are on borrowed time. If you checked the ball joints when they were loaded the loads of slop in them may not be obvious.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport