Police/Taxi package shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police/Taxi package shocks

Looking around online I've found that I can get a full set of Police/Taxi package shocks for half as much as the luxury(non P/T) package shocks.

My 99 Presidential edition(the "Land Ark") desperately needs shocks, and as you can guess, I don't have a couple hundred bucks for a set of top of the line name brand shocks.

Being a gear head, I have a good understanding of the differences between the two packages.
    The P/T package had stiffer springs, bigger sway bars, different shock valving, etc.
    With that in mind, will the P/T shocks be too "firm" when used on a non P/T car or will it be barely noticeable?
    I already have a super floaty car that wants to violently change direction over bumps on corners, especially above 40mph so I don't want to waste my time and money on shocks that give me a stiff car that still wants to change direction in bumpy corners.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is this on a Lincoln? I installed KYB P71 spec Gas-A-Just shocks on all 4 corners on my 03 CV Sport. Made it noticeably firmer but not something that I would consider jarring. Rides smooth still and doesn't seem to dance on bumps. The rest of my suspension is stock (front springs and rear air springs) so I haven't upset the balance yet. Just my .02

Check out RockAuto for shocks. I got a good price on mine there.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I used police spec Motorcrafts on my 88 for about ten years. Handles good for what it is, but is moderately more harsh.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Worn shocks would explain the bouncy floating ride experience but it does not explain the whole change of direction around corners.
        I would suggest checking your car over for worn suspension parts, tie rod ends ball joints, bushings, bearings etc. Worn shocks will stress and wear these parts out faster than normal.
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I would inspect the front suspension before changing the shocks. Our roads are horrible. I have the police shocks and suspension on the Lincolns & CVs. I like the firmness. The brand makes a difference too. Hard to determine before buying though. If you do not have a rear sway bar, I would add it for more stability. I like a very firm ride. You might have to get the sway bar out of State though due to the horrible rust and lack of good junkyards.

Comment

Originally posted by That Jeep Guy View Post
            With that in mind, will the P/T shocks be too "firm" when used on a non P/T car or will it be barely noticeable?
            On a panther, the p/t shocks will barely register as firmer. You will notice a bit better overall behaviour, but firm is not a term I would use with the p/t shocks until you get into the 2003+ years.

Alex.

Comment

Exactly, its not like you're going to make it ride like a dump truck. It will just be somewhat less floaty.

also a big +1 on making sure you don't have additional problems. Really bad rear shocks can let the back wheels hop and do what you describe but so can worn steering parts.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks everyone!
                The front end components are all tight, but they are also the factory originals.
                Not a grease fitting to be seen.
                I was going to grease the front end two weeks ago because it has a distinctive squeaking when turning, but without grease fittings that's an impossible task.
                The front shocks are starting to float just a tiny bit, but the rears are absolutely spanked.
                My wife and daughter get nauseous riding in it because the back bounces so badly.
                The front only has about 10% of the bouncing that the rear does.
                I'm planning on replacing everything in the front end for all new parts with grease fittings when tax refund season arrives, but the shocks are an absolute necessity and I plan on getting them before Christmas.
                Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Just be careful with the ball joints they are known to break and cause more damage or a wreck if they are making noise you are on borrowed time. If you checked the ball joints when they were loaded the loads of slop in them may not be obvious.
                  2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Update:

All 4 shocks were amazingly more useless than I had thought.
                    I do mean USELESS!!!
                    I also found out that I did indeed have a bad lower ball joint, because it let go.��*♂️
                    Fortunately for me, I had just come to a complete stop as I pulled up to an ATM machine when it let go.
                    Needless to say, I replaced everything in the front suspension and steering, as well as installing the 4 KYB Gas-a-just shocks that were given to me by bgraywolf(a sincere thank you to you, Ben!).
                    After an alignment, it's like a totally brand new car now!
                    My wife and daughter still don't like the ride, but that's THEIR problem!����
                    A big thank you to all for their advice!
                    Have a great day everyone!
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_201902.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1289522Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_203203.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1289523Click image for larger version

Name:	20210721_203216.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1289524

Comment

camber-gang.

Couldn't have happened in a better place....well maybe your driveway..but you know what I mean.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

good place for it to happen, bad that it was allowed to get that bad in the first place.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

With the Maine roads as bad as they are, The steering and suspension really has to be inspected every time the car is up on a lift.
                          Especially the passenger side. The State needs to enforce weight limits and keep the big trucks off secondary roads.

How far from Bangor are you ?
                          Last edited by Mainemantom; 08-26-2021, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Bilstein.
                            They are worth it.
                            Never need replaced afterwards.
                            90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
                            90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
                            91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
                            70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

I was going to grease the front end two weeks ago because it has a distinctive squeaking when turning, but without grease fittings that's an impossible task.
                              Update:

All 4 shocks were amazingly more useless than I had thought.
                              I do mean USELESS!!!
                              I also found out that I did indeed have a bad lower ball joint, because it let go.��*♂️
                              Fortunately for me, I had just come to a complete stop as I pulled up to an ATM machine when it let go.
                              Had that same squeak on my '95 Thunderbird, thought of posts like this, replaced asap, right front lower was totally toasted, but caught before it failed totally.
                              Years ago met one coming through a pass "fast", was a whale, turned, stopped the car, was writing ticket, he was suspended so we called his sister to come get him and car, that afternoon just a couple hours later I followed a rollback into a gas station with the car on it, the left front lower had let go less than a mile from where I stopped him, but his sister was driving slower. They both were in the wrecker, I got my coffee in the store, he came over and thanked me for stopping him. He could have been chewing a tree or rock very easily.
                              No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

Working...
                              X