No announcement yet.

2005 Ford Explorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my Message Center is broken. Just changed the oil and reset the computer and a few minutes later it tells me to change the oil. Very annoying as I can't see any other information other than that.

Comment

Nevermind. I'm an idioso! I only did half of the procedure and in the incorrect sequence to boot. Owners manual isn't as good as YouTube in explaining this. Change Oil light is no longer on.

As a bonus, I learned that I needed to train the tires when I changed them out. So I will fire up the new compressor and do that in hopes that I can get that message off as well.

Comment

I changed out the fuel vapor solenoid hose that I broke last year when replacing the intake manifold...........sort of

I now know that these fittings are not meant to come off. I just needed to cut the hose off and jam a new hose in its place. My new hose came with the same sorta-style connector, but this one had the plastic strip-collar molded in. Unfortunately, it came rounded off. In order to make it work; I would have to pinch the channels quite a bit; only to have them go back to their original round shape; thus causing the hose to pop back off the intake manifold port. It also came far short of the fuel vapor solenoid; so extra hose is needed to complete the line. I tried to take the connector off the other end of the hose at the fuel vapor solenoid. After breaking the clip and the connector, I realized that maybe they were not supposed to come off; that I needed to remove the hose instead. Which is what I ended up doing. Even broken; it's still stuck on the vapor solenoid. Since I don't have anymore standard 3/8" fuel hose left, I used the next best thing; 6AN hose. It worked well on the vacuum connector fitting I used to join the rubber hose to the 6AN. But the 6AN was a bit too small for the fuel vapor solenoid. So I tried my trick of using the heat gun to get the 6AN really hot; then jam it on the vapor solenoid fitting. Up by the intake manifold end of the hose; I pried the new connector off the hose and jammed the old connector in its place. I used a fuel filter clip to hold it in its place. Seems to work for now. I may have to revisit this in the future. Btw, the old hose was dry rotted and collapsed in a couple spots. Otherwise, I would not have wasted my time on this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1725.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1290345 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1290346 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1290347

Comment

A couple months ago, the original gas cap fell apart. Had a heck of a time removing/unthreading what was left of it from the filler neck. Replaced it with a NAPA gas cap. Last weekend the Message Center started complaining about the gas cap ("Check Fuel Cap"). I have to reset that message at least 2x during my commute. I just installed a Motorcraft gas cap a few minutes ago. Hopefully this will cease the complaints. Though, I think my Message Center has its psychosis as that is just one of the many frivolous complaints.

Comment

Never seen a gas cap disintegrate - usually only the attachment line breaks. Unless the OEM cap is defective, that should set things right after you remove the code. Sometime you can use aftermarket parts but Fords seem to be picky about using many non OEM parts.
            What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I've seen a couple fall apart. Usually the ratcheting part from the part that screws in.

The evap small leak that throws the check gas cap error is usually due to some dirt on the filler neck lip. There may also be some small cracks in the evap line or a bad purge solenoid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've seen a couple fall apart. Usually the ratcheting part from the part that screws in.

The evap small leak that throws the check gas cap error is usually due to some dirt on the filler neck lip. There may also be some small cracks in the evap line or a bad purge solenoid.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Yah, the plastic tether broke a while back. The cap was probably dropped a few times after that happened. The ratcheting part separated from the gas cap thread. I had to jam it on there, push, and twist at the same time. Took 20 minutes to get it to unthread.

I can see that the spring mechanism in the NAPA cap is different from the spring in the Ford cap. Perhaps the Explorer senses that? I will find out when I drive home if that shuts the Message Center up; in that aspect. Still tells me to change the oil despite having far less than 5k after the previous oil change; and multiple resets. And then there is the Tire Pressure Sensor fault. It's very manic!

Comment

The only thing the cap does is seal the end of the filler neck and have a vent to allow air IN but should not allow air out.

Comment

Must make a difference somehow to the ECM. After a few days after installing the Motorcraft cap; the message center stopped complaining. Haven't driven the Explorer since; as I got my MGM back. That is another can of Gagh that I have to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                      X