More Power from CFI Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Power from CFI Possible?

Hey there! So I am going to be the proud owner of an 85 GM with 40,000 original miles on it. I am kinda bummed that it is an older CFI car, but the car is too nice to pass up. My question is, is there anything I can do to the car to give it some more ooph? I am not looking for a powerhouse, but I would like to bring it up at least where the 86-91 5.0 is as far as hp. Dual exhaust is in the works, but other than that I don't really have any ideas. Anyone know any areas that can be improved without a complete EFI or carb swap?

The problem is the ecu and its inability to adjust for changes in airflow. I ran without an air cleaner on my 85 ltd (I do not recommend, I was trying to diagnose something) and I would get a lean code lol. Other than dual exhaust you might be able to run lincoln logs with one o2 bung plugged and maybe get a different air cleaner assembly but as I remember not much will fit on there. You could advance the timing a few degrees if you know what youre doing.

Also remember you have e5 heads which are better than the later e6 heads but have bigger chambers so you have lower compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That is kinda what I figured. Eventually I will probably just carb swap it, but I hate to do that immediately when the car has such low mileage. But even if I could just get it to the 180hp that the CFI mustangs had, I would be happy.

Comment

The HO CFI cars had different cams and a different ECM and injector assembly to make that work though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ah ok! I wasn't sure what all was different. So realistically, a carb swap is probably the way to go. I know the timing set is plastic, but is the are the oe timing gears straight up or retarded like some of the late 70s motors? So in a nutshell, what I would like to do is pull the CFI stuff off, put a good timing set and mild cam in, and bolt on an Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, and run dual exhaust. Does this sound feasible? I guess essentially I would like to get it back to the simplicity of a 302 in a 70 Torino.

Comment

The timing set should not be retarded from the factory. A cam, intake and carb swap is definitely feasible, and the exhaust will help support those goals. You should be able to match the power of the mustang HO CFI engine for that year with those upgrades, if not exceed it depending on what cam you choose.

Another option if you want it quicker without sacrificing much is to change the rear gears- idk what your has currently but 3.27s or 3.55s will make a big difference, especially if you have 2.73s
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

So, if I just get an all metal timing set for that car, I should be ok.
              Attached Files

Comment

It looks cherry. Yeah get the double roller set
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I totally lurked this thread to find something juicy for my MGM.
                  Carb or unobtanium, oh...
                  Maybe I should fix the engine first in mine though. I really want to fix the CFI but a carb would be oh so much easier.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

I don't really want to mess with the CFI. The carb would let me make the mods I want to make unhindered.

Comment

Originally posted by whitemgm View Post
                      Ah ok! I wasn't sure what all was different. So realistically, a carb swap is probably the way to go. I know the timing set is plastic, but is the are the oe timing gears straight up or retarded like some of the late 70s motors? So in a nutshell, what I would like to do is pull the CFI stuff off, put a good timing set and mild cam in, and bolt on an Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, and run dual exhaust. Does this sound feasible? I guess essentially I would like to get it back to the simplicity of a 302 in a 70 Torino.
                      It sounds feasible. Carb or SEFI is the direction to take if performance is something you want out of this platform. Unfortunately we have the worst platform for performance: Central Fuel Injection, non-roller flat tappet, exhaust manifolds, e5 heads... none of these things help.

Here is what my Dad is doing to his 91 Grand Marquis: Roller 302, CompXE264HR cam, GT-40X Heads, 1.7 Pedestal Rockers, Performer RPM2 Intake Manifold, 30lb injectors, BBK Shorty headers off a Mustang, Mustang H-pipe, 2.5in. exhaust, built AOD. This one is fuel injected and Mass Air equipped from factory. It also has 4.10 gears. It will be a nice sleeper that will move its own weight around respectably.

Here is what I've done to my 85 CFI: K&N Filter, Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, Melling Double Roller Timing Chain, Race Crank Pulley, and it has a K-code rear with a 3.55 gear. These things helped out a good amount. Very peppy off the line and pulls great up to 4300 rpm, which is basically where the stock cam falls off and the AOD shifts at. Next for me will probably be some pedestal mount roller rockers and dual exhaust.
                      1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
                      1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

I converted my ‘83 EEC-III CFI to Carb, using an Edelbrock 1406. I will say, that and a recurved distributor (low compression LOVES lots of timing) made that thing MOVE!
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Good info! Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by sluggish91 View Post
                            It sounds feasible. Carb or SEFI is the direction to take if performance is something you want out of this platform. Unfortunately we have the worst platform for performance: Central Fuel Injection, non-roller flat tappet, exhaust manifolds, e5 heads... none of these things help.

Here is what my Dad is doing to his 91 Grand Marquis: Roller 302, CompXE264HR cam, GT-40X Heads, 1.7 Pedestal Rockers, Performer RPM2 Intake Manifold, 30lb injectors, BBK Shorty headers off a Mustang, Mustang H-pipe, 2.5in. exhaust, built AOD. This one is fuel injected and Mass Air equipped from factory. It also has 4.10 gears. It will be a nice sleeper that will move its own weight around respectably.

Here is what I've done to my 85 CFI: K&N Filter, Flex-A-Lite Electric Fan, Melling Double Roller Timing Chain, Race Crank Pulley, and it has a K-code rear with a 3.55 gear. These things helped out a good amount. Very peppy off the line and pulls great up to 4300 rpm, which is basically where the stock cam falls off and the AOD shifts at. Next for me will probably be some pedestal mount roller rockers and dual exhaust.
                            Your dad's setup sounds about like what i'm putting together. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                              I converted my ‘83 EEC-III CFI to Carb, using an Edelbrock 1406. I will say, that and a recurved distributor (low compression LOVES lots of timing) made that thing MOVE!
                              Did you use just a basic dual plane intake with it? Did you go with a Duraspark system or just a regular distributor and coil? I've been seriously considering throwing out the CFI, getting a carb. Either a 2bbl that fits the stock cast intake or a 4bbl with an inexpensive intake. Then source a distributor and coil. Duraspark is a no-go for me since that stuff is mostly unobtanium in Finland.
                              Personally, performance is not the goal, I really just want to get a reliable setup for summer daily use. I wonder how the MPG is with 2bbl or 4bbl vs. CFI...
                              Last edited by Arquemann; 12-16-2019, 03:49 PM.
                              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Working...
                              X