Fuel pump relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump relay

I'm trying to depressurize the fuel system in my 89 MGM. I disconnected the fuel pump relay so that i can run the car until it dies, but the car won't start at all witj the car relay unplugged. It cranks but won't start. Am I missing something?

Put the relay back in and prime the pump a couple times by cycling the key...This is to just make sure you didnt mess anything up and the car still runs...it should.

Then open the trunk and with a rubber mallet wack the inertia switch mounting bracket near the drivers side trunk hinge while the car is running.

You can also just depressurize the fuel rail via the schrader valve on the fuel rail on the passengers side of the engine near the distributor while the car is not running.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank a lot, inertia switch worked. How much fuel can i expect to to still be in the lines/filter

Comment

maybe about a cup all in I think.

Mind the line from the tank though as it will work like a siphon and may pull fuel out until you get the new filter on.
        Last edited by sly; 12-15-2019, 04:49 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

cup or so sounds about right. Enough that it will make a mess if you don't put a catch pan under it but not so much that you need a large pan. I like to dump the fuel filters into a cup just to see if there was nasty crap in there.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got it done. Thanks guys. The gas from the filter was pretty dirty

Comment

Working...
            X