CEL turning on and off in the morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEL turning on and off in the morning

Yesterday on my way to work the check engine light came on then off a second later several times. Driving around in the afternoon and on the way home in the afternoon it didn't come on at all. This morning it happened again. It's been pretty cold in the morning, but the car started and ran fine. The only difference other than outside temperature is that I had the heater on in the morning. Could something with the heater trip the light? I'm picking up a code reader today, just thought I'd see what anyone thinks.

What year is it? The cel isn’t functional on pre 88 or so cars. The only things that trip that light are low oil pressure or overheating. I had this issue where mine was stuck on, it turned out to be the coolant temperature sender. A new one is on its way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

89 Grand Marquis. It's the check engine one not the engine one

Comment

Ah gotcha. Disregard. I have an Equuis 3145 and really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

we can not tell you much without the code or codes.
          2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

check the codes, could be a lot of things but it will store whatever the intermittant fault is. I've had this happen twice on my Mark VII, once it was a bad EGR valve, the other time it was a bad TPS. Got codes for each.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Here are the codes. I don't have a smog pump and I didn't perform the timing test so I think might may have caused a couple of them.

O-
              11- pass

C-
              31- evp or pfe circuit below minimum voltage
              29- insufficient input from speed sensor or programmable speedometer/odometer module

R-
              94-air diverter solenoid circuit fault
              44-thermactor air system fault
              18-spout circuit open or spark angle word circuit failure
              74- brake on/off switch fault; not actuated
              Last edited by Zyghost; 12-20-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

31 sounds like a dead spot in the EGR position sensor, or possibly the valve leaks. I think that was the one I had when the valve did not hold vacuum.

Not sure what 29 could be other than a VSS or wiring to the VSS issue. Does the cruise control work? The ECM uses the VSS for cruise, but it also uses it to determine when to use EGR.

94 and 44 you get if the smog pump is gone. If thats present, probbably the heads are clogged up.
                18 could be wiring problems. It uses a connection off the coil through a resistor as ignition circuit feedback, and if that is bad it won't work. I'd probably go through the shop manual and see what it has for troubleshooting because i've honestly never had to fool with that one.
                74 you didn't hit the brake pedal. Ignore this.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X