Camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft

I want to get some opinions on this camshaft: https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-...2-v8-2122.html
    Should i leave the stock cam or upgrade?

Looks like a VERY mild grind. What else do you intend to do to the engine? That will dictate whether or not this cam is worth the trouble.

Comment

The only reason im thinking about swapping the cam is because I have to replace the intake manifold gasket, valve cover gaskets, paint water pump, and since im there i might as well pull the timing cover off and replace the cam. otherwise thats all I intend to do with the engine.

Comment

It’s a good little cam, I actually ran the Crane version of that cam in a 351w. That grind is one of the most generic flat tappet grinds for a 302...pretty much everybody sells it, just under a different name. You could save yourself some money by buying mine...has about 8k miles, like new. I just have to find it.
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I am not sure if your running headers or a aftermarket intake ( you should consider upgrading them as well if your running stock parts )

The instructions warn you to install new springs either new oem or new Edelbrock springs, and a new OEM type distributor gear if worn ( I would replace it no matter what with a new cam)
          This is from their website
          VALVE SPRINGS
          CAUTION: WARNINGS ABOUT YOUR WARRANTY
          In order for this Performer-Plus cam and lifter kit to be covered
          under ANY WARRANTY you MUST use the correct Edelbrock Sure
          Seat Valve Springs or original equipment springs. Failure to install
          new Edelbrock valve springs or original specification springs with
          your new Performer-Plus cam could cause the cam lobes to wear
          excessively and could cause additional engine damage.

Before installing your distributor, check the gear drive on
          the distributor and oil pump for any signs of wear. If worn, be sure
          to replace with new or you may wear out your camshaft
          prematurely. This is especially true when rebuilding your engine
          and a high performance oil system is used, which generates a
          heavier load on the camshaft gear system. Edelbrock camshafts
          are designed to use OEM-type gears and oil pumps only
          2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Working...
          X