Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford can’t reprogram my Speedometer. Need solid advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah... output shaft sensor and vehicle speed sensor have to jive for the PCM to be happy. An SCT tuner should allow you to change the gear ratio to 4.10. That would sort the speedo. If you're using the 2007 cluster that is. I think 06+ (maybe earlier) use a signal from the PCM to control the speedometer instead of the VSS signal to the speedo. Tapping the VSS signal for an aftermarket speedo would be a much easier solution.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So there’s a output shaft sensor and a vehicle speed sensor? Where’s the vehicle speed sensor than? There’s nothing behind the output shaft sensor in the case of the trans, the tail housing is bare, has provisions but nothing installed and nothing on the rear diff, but there’s the wheel speed sensors. .
      I see where your saying a tuner/tune would be the easiest way. I was hoping for a cheaper way I guess. I mean I only have $1000 into this whole project so far, and was tryin to keep it as cheap as possible. So ya, I guess more research is in my future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	519D0809-F640-4457-BB4A-88BBE6BB8354.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1286350
      Click image for larger version

Name:	A23B4981-C8A2-4132-9E91-9392B959F894.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	1286351
      Last edited by hav24wheel; 12-28-2019, 09:27 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

04+ only have OSS which sends signal to both PCM and speedo. Older cars used a second mechanical sensor for the speedo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
          04+ only have OSS which sends signal to both PCM and speedo. Older cars used a second mechanical sensor for the speedo.
          Ah... that's the year that things changed then. Bummer they dumped the VSS. Looks like a tune would be the best option.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Welllllll, I’m waiting for a message back from Dakota Digital to see if they have any idea about if changing the signal from the oss will affect anything. I honestly can’t see spending the $ on the tuner at this time if I absolutely don’t need to. But after I drop the$ on cams than I’ll definitely get a tuner to change everything I need to.
            sigpic

Comment

I think buying the tuner sooner would be good. You'll be working with the people you buy it from when you do the cam swap, even if you don't go to a dyno you can send datalog files via email and get tune files back. Most shops have an allowance for that when you buy the tuner.
              My old SCT X3s allow me to adjust fuel octane, base timing, base fuel, axle and tire sizes, shift points, etc. The X4 and newer are even more versatile. And that's WITHOUT any custom tuning (you might want to verify that your axle/tire size combo is covered in the base tune files).
              Buying a tuner and getting familiar with it now would give you a head start when you do the cams, so you'll be comfortable adjusting your timing and trying different settings already, before you're emailing the log files and trying to figure out how to use a new device with a car that doesn't run properly.
              The Dakota Digital adapter is a nice piece, but it's a few dollars that could be a good part of the purchase of a tuner, and fixing the problem consistently from the start.

Beyond the tunes in the tuner itself, SCT (and I'm sure others) sell software that allow more significant alteration of engine settings. I have the SCT PRP software set up for my Mustang (now, sadly gone) and a custom project with a Focus engine (also, sadly, gone) that allowed very significant changes (the Focus engine was turned sideways, mated to a 1980s Merkur transmission, dropped in a '60s Volvo with a European intake manifold and numerous other "totally not a 2004 Focus" modifications). That engine wouldn't even crank without major modifications to Ford program.
              Last edited by bgreywolf; 12-30-2019, 02:25 AM.

Comment

I totally understand all that. The ONLY reason I was going to use the Dakota Digital unit, is that I have one here on the shelf that I already bought for another vehicle but ended up not using. I’m on a tight vehicle budget atm, (I have 10 vehicles, 4 of them are “toys”) and tryin to keep costs down. Lol

How many different vehicles can you usually tune with one tuner?? I have other vehicles that could use some stuff tweaked too..
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hav24wheel View Post
                  I totally understand all that. The ONLY reason I was going to use the Dakota Digital unit, is that I have one here on the shelf that I already bought for another vehicle but ended up not using. I’m on a tight vehicle budget atm, (I have 10 vehicles, 4 of them are “toys”) and tryin to keep costs down. Lol

How many different vehicles can you usually tune with one tuner?? I have other vehicles that could use some stuff tweaked too..
                  If you already have the Dakota Digital unit, and budget is tight, use it. Then you'll know for sure how "weird" the thing will behave. I expect if you're not pushing the performance, it will just shift a little funny and you may not notice the low limited top speed anyway. You might be happy enough with it to ignore the thought of tuning until you tear into the cams (but I'd still buy and test out the tuner before you split the engine open).

The down side of most of these tuners is they "lock" to one vehicle, so you can't buy them and tune all your friends' cars. I didn't mind that limitation with my projects; on a budget is different. I'd have a chat with the various tuners and buy your tuning setup from someone who can work with you on that.

Comment

Well when I drive it, it’s more of a nice easy cruise or a full out foot to the floor, tire smoking type thing. Lol.
                    Right now my speedo reads about 80 when I’m actually going about 60 mph. So maybe I should do like your sayin and I’ll call a few places and see what they have to offer, I’d really like to be able to do all my own vehicles but not spend too much $ like a tuner for every vehicle.
                    I don’t want to tune all my friends stuff, but I have a non EGR motor in my Van that originally came with a EGR so it’s throwing EGR flow codes. So at this point I’d only want to tune this “pickup” and the van. But I’m also in the plan stages of putting a 5.4L into a 1990 F250 wheeling rig, so I’d have at least 3 vehicles that need tuned at some point.

small example of its use. Lol
                    Last edited by hav24wheel; 12-30-2019, 02:04 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Can you use the dakota digital unit standalone like in a gauge pod? If you just tap the OSS and then do a calibration procedure on the unit to dial it in, then you should be fine and the car will run fine even though the stock speedo won't be reading right. This won't fix the limiter issue though.

Comment

Idk?

But, Dakota Digital emailed me back on how it should be hooked up for everything to work nice. And well, they where wrong. I can get the speedo to read right, BUT like you guys said, the trans doesn’t like it at all. So I’m waiting for them to email me back. Way it’s looking is I’m going to need a tuner like you guys originally told me. Dam... o well.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah... You can use that module with "another" speedometer and it should work fine. Sending the signal back in to the car instead of tapping the signal for a stand-alone setup just messes with the PCM.

Comment

I’m going to wire in the module between the ECM and the speedo to correct it, as long as the trans shifts proper I’ll be happy for now. Dakota Digital tech isn’t much help at all in this case. In more words, The original question I has asked was if it was going to cause issues wired between the trans and ECM or if between the ECM and speedo was the place it should be done. They where the ones that told me between the trans and ECM and that’s where I started even though my gut said ECM and Speedo. Lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

That might actually work. Not sure if it's a data link (which won't work) or a PWM signal (which would work), but you'll find out I'm sure. I'm genuinely interested to see if that works as I enjoy learning how manufacturers do the same basic thing differently over the years.

Comment

It didn’t work. Lmao. Wired it in, changed settings and all that Jazz and just uninstalled it. I found there’s a dyno tuning place close by, so I might just take it there and have them take care of some stuff for me, so I can get it’s fullest potential out of it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X