Idle drop in park when hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle drop in park when hot

When I put my car in park after driving it the idle drops to the point of almost stalling then shoots back up repeatedly. It idles fine in all gears while hot, and in park when the engine is cold. I've tested and cleaned the egr valve and iac valve. The only code it's throwing is 18, sprout circuit open. Could it be related to that? What else should I be looking at?

You mean 218 spout circuit? Wouldn’t that have to do with the TFI module? So that would have to do with timing, so I’d say that would be part of your problem. Could be a bad plug, unplugged wire, or broken wire.
    sigpic

Comment

2 digit code system, its 18.

are you running a grey TFI module? Apparently switching the grey for a black will do stupid things like this.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...ode-18.896093/

has some troubleshooting for that problem. Apparently when you get that it loses timing control, which is a big part of idle speed control.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's the grey one. Noticed two other things, unsure if they're related. 1. When it's idling in park, if i quickly push the gas and let off the rpms stay up for a couple of seconds after i take my foot off the gas. 2. When i start and turn off the car I can hear the metal vacuum canister on the driver side pop. I've read that my issue could vacuum related.

Comment

that won't have anything to do with the error code. The hanging idle could be vac leak. The pop in the can sounds more like a bad check valve though. It shouldn't bleed vacuum off that quickly.

never actually had anything with an 18, so I don't honestly know what the symptoms are.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had a code 18 once. Forgot to put the SPOUT jumper back in after setting the idle after adjusting the timing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thought I'd update in case anyone with a similar issue comes across this thread. I put in a new TPS and that helped the idle significantly. Then I put in new ECT and ACT sensors which helped even more. It doesn't have an issue with the idle dropping now but it still doesn't feel right sometimes so I'm going to put in a new TFI module this weekend and reset the timing.

Comment

Working...
              X