EGR plate and TB for explorer intake onto LoPo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR plate and TB for explorer intake onto LoPo

Picking up an explorer intake upper and lower from a friend over the weekend.
    Looking for proper parts to adapt it to Sherrie. EGR plate and larger flipped TB would make it right I think..(?)
    My original lower is leaking oil in the back like many do.. so while it's off, I'm going to put on the ported lower and upper from this explorer.
    WTH right..? I have some parts to trade too..
    All FORD All The Time

Need a F-150 Lightning EGR spacer to use an Explorer intake if you’re retaining EGR. It also keeps the bracket mounting points right for the TV cable and throttle cable. The LoPo spacer can’t be bored out large enough, IIRC.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I've halfass wondered if the lopo spacer could be cleaned enough so that the entire EGR area and the water passage on the other side could be filled with JB Weld or something of that nature. Once both sides of the thing are packed full, maybe it could be machined flat and bored out. At that point your spacer would be a chunk of bullshit and hope that only serves to mount the throttle cable. And it might not work.

but the Lightning part is the preferred way. The not so preferred way is to use a Mustang thing and make up a new bracket to mount the throttle cable bracket to.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I've halfass wondered if the lopo spacer could be cleaned enough so that the entire EGR area and the water passage on the other side could be filled with JB Weld or something of that nature. Once both sides of the thing are packed full, maybe it could be machined flat and bored out. At that point your spacer would be a chunk of bullshit and hope that only serves to mount the throttle cable. And it might not work.

but the Lightning part is the preferred way. The not so preferred way is to use a Mustang thing and make up a new bracket to mount the throttle cable bracket to.
        ^^^I've thought about this same thing but it does seem a lot of work to make a chunk of bullshit, which is the exact term i'd use for it. Even the lightning spacer doesn't give you much wiggle room if you want to go bigger than a 65mm TB. I intend to use a 70 or 75 on my 347 but not sure i can hog that spacer out and still have enough surface to seal. Don't intend to use the coolant circulation part but do have to keep EGR for gay california.

Anyhow KW, let me dig in the garage, I know i have the modded lightning TB and egr spacer still laying around from the other car and i'll set you up. Not sure what is even a reasonable price these days but we'll figure something out.

Comment

A Fox part could be adapted if you make up a bracket to mount the throttle cable bracket to. Honestly thats probably the more sensible use of time vs the JB Weld method. Some angle iron with careful trimming so it bolts under 2 of the throttle body bolts and extends down to the correct location for the cable mount would get it done. Maybe weld in a spacer to duplicate the stock bosses so the pedal travel is where it belongs.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So...this explorer intake upper has a BBK 70mm EGR adapter on it..
            Can't the studs be flipped and the whole Johnson be reversed to make it where it needs to be.? I don't have Sherrie here now to look. She's off for a winters nap..
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

This is the Lightning part

The two ears on the left are what most things use to mount the throttle cable bracket

The two bosses on the right are what Panther throttle cable brackets bolt to. If you don't have those bosses, there isn't any flipping to be done. The only practical solution is either this magic part that happens to bridge the gap, or making a bracket to do it. Piece of angle iron with some creative grinding and two short spacers welded onto the angle iron to duplicate the spacing would serve. I'd mock the thing up, drill the holes, and tack weld the spacers in place. Prob insert and tack the bolts from the adapter bracket side so all you have to do is thread nuts on the throttle cable bracket rather than having to try and assemble the whole thing half blind with one hand.

Comment

you could use the fox part and fox cables.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks for the Picture.
                  So I'm just going to need the correct throttle cable mounting bracket then. I'll use some aluminum nuts,and spacers... mount the bracket up in a jig, and weld it all to the EGR plate with the bracket located correctly..so it'll be a bolt-on affair when she comes home from storage.
                  So...anybody got a throttle cable bracket they'll sell me that is proper for my '86.??
                  WTF was FoMoCo thinking making all the parts for this model different from EVERYTHING else.? It's kinda funny..
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Just don't break the AOD TV cable when you move everything around. I cracked the plastic part of mine where it mounts in the bracket, it's held together on JB Weld and a prayer. If it breaks, I have no idea where I'll get another, so I'll have to start searching out 87+ TV cable parts...

Comment

Originally posted by bgreywolf View Post
                      Just don't break the AOD TV cable when you move everything around. I cracked the plastic part of mine where it mounts in the bracket, it's held together on JB Weld and a prayer. If it breaks, I have no idea where I'll get another, so I'll have to start searching out 87+ TV cable parts...
                      This.

I obliterated one in the yards. First time touching the 86 style...I grabbed the throttle linkage so I have an 86 one to offer when I sell some 65mm throttle bodies I have on hand after powdercoating them. For the curious...I removed the two throttle shaft bearings and will be installing new ones in these powdercoated units.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        This.

I obliterated one in the yards. First time touching the 86 style...I grabbed the throttle linkage so I have an 86 one to offer when I sell some 65mm throttle bodies I have on hand after powdercoating them. For the curious...I removed the two throttle shaft bearings and will be installing new ones in these powdercoated units.
                        I'm kinda running blind here. As I said I don't have my car here right now, as she's in winter rest mode under my friends business, and I haven't ever worked on one of these exact models...so I really have no idea how it goes together.
                        Would you part with the linkage/bracket you have.? When this all gets installed I'll likely be putting on a new TV cable if I can source one.
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
                          I'm kinda running blind here. As I said I don't have my car here right now, as she's in winter rest mode under my friends business, and I haven't ever worked on one of these exact models...so I really have no idea how it goes together.
                          Would you part with the linkage/bracket you have.? When this all gets installed I'll likely be putting on a new TV cable if I can source one.
                          I dont want to part with mine. I want it available with the throttle bodies I have for sale so I can cater to the 86 crowd as well...open my market.

You can simply grind off the metal on yours and press it off and install it to your new throttle body so you can retain the same TV cable setup. I used to resort to the weld on method but have taken a liking to the drill and tap method in retaining the throttle linkage to the throttle shaft.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I also drill and tap them, but I do it on the lathe since its a hell of a lot easier. Also I own a lathe but I don't own a welder so there is something about using the tools you own.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              I dont want to part with mine. I want it available with the throttle bodies I have for sale so I can cater to the 86 crowd as well...open my market
                              Understood. Thanks.
                              Mind educating me on throttle bodies.? This car is my first EFI that I'm modifying in any way.
                              I made up my mind and started this project on my stock bottom end.
                              I have:
                              AFR 165s.. #1472
                              I swapped a 650 spread bore for an Early Explorer upper and lower. 70mm BBK EGR plate. All are in the mail to be ported.
                              BBK unequal shorties.
                              depending on what the clay says when the heads go on...I might bite the bullet and get my local cam grinder to make me a LoPo style on steroids that will keep the vacuum up to appease the computer.
                              I also scored a brand new in the box Edel/BBK 75mm throttle body for bartering if it's too big. I'm not quite convinced it is, but I'm willing to learn.
                              This is why I'm trying to source the throttle hardware. Less car downtime..
                              All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                              X