Manifold studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manifold studs

I was wondering which one is better to use: dorman 03135, or 03099, if any of you have used either one let me know which ones you prefer, thanks

I've used 03099 and also have 03135 on a set of Lincoln Logs (not yet installed on a car, but studs are installed in the Lincoln Logs).

I would recommend the 03135 over the 03099.
    03135 studs have a nice built in hex heads that make install easier.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I bought 2 sets of the 03407, which isn't listed for our application, but has 3 long bolts with extended stud, 4 short bolts (no stud), 1 long bolt (no stud).

My car has the Lincoln log manifolds and is an '86/EFI so it's going to be different from your CFI, and I recall using a couple of the original bolts (maybe there was a short bolt with a stud? Or a long bolt location where the extra stud made it too long to fit?). I remember a LOT of junk being attached to the manifold bolt locations. I changed the A/C piping slightly and removed the AIR pipework, so I know it's not at all what you're doing.

I'd suggest counting what you've got, and counting the parts in the sets. You'll need 4 long and 4 short on each side, and some of them will have studs.
      As far as the actual hardware, they're bolts and they're plenty good enough. I used allen head bolts on my F150 with headers, and made tabs that fit under the bolt for the dipstick, but that was the only piece that uses a manifold mounting location on that engine. The Dorman hardware won't fit the F150 headers, and the allen bolts are a pain in the butt; stick with the factory style if you're staying with cast iron parts.

For what it's worth:

Dorman # / Long Bolt / Short Bolt / Long+Stud / Short + Stud / Application

03405 / 0 / 4 / 3 / 1 / 1980-1996 F150 and Bronco
      03407 / 1 / 4 / 3 / 0 / 1977-1996 F150 and Bronco

D'oh! I just realized you were talking about the catalytic converter end.
      I agree with 03135, the only reason to use 03099 is on applications where the flanges will touch and there's no room for the hex in the middle. Not just for installation: the hex in the middle gives you a fighting chance of being able to pull the converter off nicely in 15 years without breaking the stud off in the manifold.

Comment

Lol, yep, but that is a good point on the manifold to head studs/bolts. I also used a set for F150 I think to get an extra short bolt with the stud on the head.
        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 01-02-2020, 11:20 AM.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
        X