PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Replace TFI

Default Replace TFI

Hi all,

The TFI in my CP is original from the factory and I have been looking to replace it as part of an ignition overhaul. Unfortunately, I have been having a difficult time sourcing a Motorcraft part. Is there any preferred aftermarket brand that you have been having good luck using? Part numbers that I should be looking out for? I do have some Amazon gift cards and, while they are not my normal parts source, it would be great if I could use them to pick up this part. Accel 35369 keeps popping up in my searches, but I know nothing about them.

Thanks!

Haven’t had any experience with the Accel TFI.

The Motorcraft P/N is DY-1284. I currently am using that on my car.

I’ve also used Standard Ignition LX218. BWD is under the the Standard Motor Products umbrella, just if you happen to find them instead for that application. Both of those are decent as well.

Just avoid el-cheapo no name units.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Most of the store brands are also Standard or Airtex/Wells and are decent as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

the only one I've ever had barf on me was an Accel part. Engine shut off at an intersection and that was it. Luckily a police officer happened by and helped me push it out of the road. I've had the same "cheapest listed" one from Napa on the car ever since. That was more than 10 years ago. The Accel part was less than 6 months old. The "emergency spare" that got me home was an unknown mileage old Motorcraft on an extra distributor I had.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Thanks guys. I ordered a Standard Ignition LX218, which is readily available from RockAuto.

Gonna buy me a Mercury BoulevardRide's Avatar

Would you mind posting an update if you get installed how it works for you? thanks
    96 MGM

Cruisin up and down the road...

If the original Motorcraft unit is still working, keep running it and source a spare from a wrecked car from a yard. That's how I roll.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    If the original Motorcraft unit is still working, keep running it and source a spare from a wrecked car from a yard. That's how I roll.
    The original is not functioning well. It caused the motor to die a few times inducing this morning. Thankfully it died on me this morning after I made it into the parking lot.

could also be the pickup coil in the distributor. Similar fail modes. If the TFI doesn't sort it, the pickup is the next likely item.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    could also be the pickup coil in the distributor. Similar fail modes. If the TFI doesn't sort it, the pickup is the next likely item.
    Thanks for the tip. The wagon sat for several years before I picket it up, I am slowly refurbishing it while still daily driving it. The TPS was also faulty and swapping that out fixed many of the issues.

Things get crusty. Worth a look at the fuel pump and ECM relay sockets while you're poking at stuff. They live near the washer bottle under the covers. Brown is ECM, green is fuel pump I think. Mine had mostly bare wiring in that area and the sockets were crusty. If the relays are sketchy, shaking them around will probably make the engine stumble.

Things get crusty. Worth a look at the fuel pump and ECM relay sockets while you're poking at stuff. They live near the washer bottle under the covers. Brown is ECM, green is fuel pump I think. Mine had mostly bare wiring in that area and the sockets were crusty. If the relays are sketchy, shaking them around will probably make the engine stumble.
    Thank you! I will check on those as well. I plan to make this machine my daily driver. Currently I drive it, but I wouldn't want the wife to until I get it running a little better.

Exactly this.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I post a lot...

In my case I had a crap Distributor from Advance Auto so after suffering aggravation I went and bought an MSD Distributor and so far no problems in starting and running of my CV.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

I have 3 spare motorcraft distributors i've collected so if something goes bad, zerp, and flerp. Done.

Just a quick update. Everything is running smooth as of right now. Between replacing the TFI and the TPS there is no longer any stalling at idle or while in motion. All stumbling is gone and the wife even feels comfortable driving it.

Glad to hear everything is working out.

If only I could get my wife to be comfortable with my '78 even though it's so far our most reliable car.