Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball joint question. 1991 Crown Vic.

Hello,

Replacing the ball joints. Had a question on the installing the uppers. The uppers have a separate rubber boot that is bonded on a flat piece of metal with screw holes. When installing does the
    boot assembly mount on the bottom side of the upper control arm? The Moog instructions show it does. Those that have replaced their ball joints; is that how you have done it? Thanks.

Take the boot off, drop the ball joint in then put the boot back on.

I assume the ball joints being replaced are original? In my experience getting those uppers out meant grinding the rivet heads off from the bottom. It's much easier to get at the top heads but, on both cars that I did it, those ball joints would not budge with the top heads ground off. Grind the bottom heads off and they just lift right out.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I've cut the top heads off with an air chisel and then used the smaller punch to drive them out. Its not a real fun job no matter how you do it.

but yeah, put the new ball joint in, then push the new boot down on it. Its got a steel ring in the bottom of the rubber boot that secures it in place.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So, the boot is mounted on the underside of the control arm, which is correct , right? Of course the nuts and bolts are holding everything on.

Comment

yes. I've had to use a punch and a hammer to carefully seat the boots before. Just a mention in case it doesn't go on by hand. Be gentle with that. don't want to rip the new boot.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X