Stuck seat belt retractor & dash lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck seat belt retractor & dash lights

My mom got a silk scarf jammed in the passenger side bottom seat belt of the '82 Mark VI. The retracting lap belts have always been touchy, you have to pull them out far enough to get them across you and buckle or they lock in place and you can't pull it out any more until you let it retract.

Any idea how I can get the thing to release? I can't put more belt back in because the scarf is jammed. I can reach in and feel a metal bar across the belt but I can't move anything.

Also, when my dad was driving it the other day, the interior/dash lights went out, and the headlight knob LOCKED SOLID. I can pull it out and push it in, the lights work. But it won't rotate at all, in either direction, and I'm afraid of breaking it. The brights indicator works, but I have no illumination at all on the gauges/cluster. Sly gave me a spare headlight control with the car when I bought it, don't know when I'll get around to messing with it, or just pay to have it done. I don't want to put the other one in just to have it fry due to an electrical problem.
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 01-10-2020, 07:48 PM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Maybe unbolting the bottom belt from the car body would give you better access. Problem with that is we know those darn seat belt bolts are a fpita. Hopefully someone else will give an easier answer.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I know the retractor you speak of. Yes, its a pain in the ass. I have 83 Mark VI seats in my car. Prob gonna have to pull the retractor so you can get the cover off. Pretty certain it bolts to the seat frame rather than the floor, so getting it off shouldn't be awful.

never seen a headlight switch lock up like that but you'll have to pull it to check. Much much easier on a Lincoln than a Ford or Mercury though. Remove the lower dash trim panel, then you can remove the couple of screws around the headlight knob and pull the whole thing out. None of that fishing blind up inside the dash for the release button BS.

and check the fuse for the dash lights. Should be the 3 or 5 amp fuse in the box. Whatever the smallest one is, thats it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The dash lights flashed on and went out when I pulled out the knob to go to work this morning. Apparently the entire stalk WIGGLES just a little in every direction now, and if I put pressure on it it makes the lights come on, then they immediately drop out. There's no rhyme or reason, sometimes it's up, left or right and they go back out right away even if pressure is kept on it.

Haven't had time to mess with it. I think I can possibly get the cover off or slip it up the belt if I can take the screw on the back off of it.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

The light switch should not be mechanically locked for an electrical issue. Sounds like something broke in it a popped a fuse. I'd replace the switch and check fuses. Also, it's not hard to replace that switch. Nothing like the hassle in CV/MGM. Just be careful with the old connectors. They like to break.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had to steighten out my seatbelt due tothe buckle getting flopped around oposite to what is normal ugg what a pain in the ass.

Comment

The early 80s cars had 2 retractors. One in the B pillar for the shoulder, and one on the side of the seat for the lap belt. It wasn't the single long belt like later cars used. They're a PITA. If not for the fact that the original 86 belts are not the right color, I'd put them back in the car.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Got the scarf out. Was able to unclip and bend the cover up enough to play with it and pull part of the belt out, then messed with it some more and got it fully removed.

Gotta find the headlight switch so I can replace that.

Comment

Working...
                X