Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice or suggestions on transmission woes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice or suggestions on transmission woes!

So here's the scoop on my '87 Grand Marquis. A little over a year ago, the plastic TV grommet finally snapped. After getting it somewhere stationary, I ordered the bronze one and replaced it. And all seemed well. The transmission shifted like normal so I thought I got off scotch free. I drove it minimally afterwards without a hitch. Fast forward to last weekend, I was heading to the store and as I was accelerating, in overdrive to be exact, the car stopped accelerating. Only the torque converter would rev up but no speed/forward motion. I let off the gas pedal and tried again. Then the car started accelerating again but it would never kick into overdrive. And at a certain speed it would slip again into no acceleration, only revving. So to get home I had to continuosly let off the gas pedal then accelerate until it started revving then let off gas pedal and repeat. I checked the TV cable and the grommet was still in place. I'm hoping the fix is something simple and not because my transmission finally give out on me. Has anyone else dealt with this sort of thing before? As always, thanks for the help.
    @Ryan.Madison68

Check the fluid level and color. Hopefully its just low but it sounds like the od band is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

x2 on checking fluid and level.
      Then, make sure the TV cable is adjusted properly--you didn't mention adjusting when you replaced the grommet, and more importantly, you don't mention checking to make sure it's still in adjustment now.

Comment

Good point on adjusting the TV cable. I didn't do that initially. I'll look into that. The fluid level and color was fine cold when I checked a day or so later. I'll start it back up and check it hot. Thanks guys.
        @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

If you have 1-3 but no 4, you lost the overdrive band. Run it in D and start saving for a rebuild. The OD band is the weakest point of the trans and what is most likely to fry when the TV cable fails.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^^^That. Drive it around in "D" and see if it behaves ok. If so, yeah, your OD is cooked. You may be able to nurse it along for a while like that but ultimately it needs a rebuild. Do check fluid level/color though. Never hurts.

Comment

I normally drive around in D and only put it into OD when I feel it is necessary. Helps keep wear off the OD band and keeps me happier from the aod early OD shift point. I religiously pop it into OD around 55 or highway cruising speed. Anything under that it is lug/bog city (exaggeration but some will understand). You may be okay for some time with just the three forward gears...all depends if you are okay with higher RPMS on highway runs.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

when I got my car it was in OD at 33 mph. The Mark VII was about 36. Waaaay too soon. Its now set so it will do OD right about 52 which is tolerable.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

FYI: TV adjustment: http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

i added a zip tie under the crimp on the end of the cable and found that the wide one was about right. Moved the block that distance and it was happy. The zip ties work as an easily un-done adjustment to see if it helps or not.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      i added a zip tie under the crimp on the end of the cable and found that the wide one was about right. Moved the block that distance and it was happy. The zip ties work as an easily un-done adjustment to see if it helps or not.
                      Same thing. My car shifts into OD between about 45-50, which is fine. Like 87GT said though, i usually just keep it in D unless i'm going over 50 or so. The fact that these things HATE coming out of OD annoys the piss out of me so if i can avoid it, I will.

Comment

yeah its not the most responsive thing, especially with stock cable tuning. The stock adjustment is just garbage to drive.

Comment

Okay guys. Since there's more daylight in the evening, I'm ready to tackle this TV cable adjustment. Here's a picture of my setup. Do you guys have any tips on setting it? I'm going to follow the guide Sly suggested. And it appears I have the block type TV. I felt around it today after getting the air box off and I couldn't tell where the the push tab was inside of the block. Any help?

@Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Gadget made some good points about temporary adjustment methods to try and gauge an improvement. This video is what helped me most before that:

Like mentioned though, OD is dead and gone. Best you'll get is improved shift feel and longevity out of the other three remaining cogs. Ashley's old '89 only had 2-3 before we rebuilt it. Drove it a long time before we were able to have it rebuilt.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I've been driving one with stock adjustment for a couple days. Holy hell I'd forgotten how shit that is. OD at 35 mph, fuuuuuuuuu

Comment

Working...
                              X