Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice or suggestions on transmission woes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: So what's been suggested has turned out to be true. The transmission has been burned up. The shop quoted me at $1800-2000 to rebuild. Does that sound like a fair price?

Also I have a freeze plug near the lower manifold on the driver's side that's been leaking antifreeze. What kind of damage do you guys think that's doing? It's been going on for a little while now. Is it causing any motor issues? I guess I'm trying to figure put where I'm at in the process of getting up and running given the need to rebuild the transmission.
    @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

last one I had done was like 13 years ago and the going price then was about 1200 bucks.

there are no freeze plugs in the lower manifold. There is one at each end of the cylinder head. There is a pipe plug in the right rear corner of the manifold and a fitting on the left rear corner. Leaks won't really cause running trouble so long as you keep replacing what leaks, they just make a mess. If its a gasket failure that is leaking coolant between the intake and the block, that needs to be fixed. The gasket could also be leaking internally which would dump coolant into the engine. if it is a rotted out plug, I'd fix that when possible because its just going to get worse. The other problem with rotted core plugs, if one is bad they're all bad. It only happens when the coolant is very poorly maintained. Its also not possible to change the ones on the side of the block without removing the engine, or the ones on the back of the heads without pulling the trans.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Quick question, Is there freeze out plugs behind the transmission? WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
          Quick question, Is there freeze out plugs behind the transmission? WagonMan
          There is a core plug in the back of the block but I think it’s for the cam not coolant.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

There is one on the back of each cylinder head. Should be pretty accessible through the trans tunnel with the trans out, but its not inside the bellhouse area.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

O.K. Thanks. I did replace one on the back of the passenger side cyl. head with a rubber one. Lasted 3 years before it popped out. On my second one now going on 2 years. I keep a spare in the glove box with a 1/2" wrench. WagonMan
              89 Colony Park
              90 Colony Park
              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by LeviMM View Post
                Update: So what's been suggested has turned out to be true. The transmission has been burned up. The shop quoted me at $1800-2000 to rebuild. Does that sound like a fair price?

Also I have a freeze plug near the lower manifold on the driver's side that's been leaking antifreeze. What kind of damage do you guys think that's doing? It's been going on for a little while now. Is it causing any motor issues? I guess I'm trying to figure put where I'm at in the process of getting up and running given the need to rebuild the transmission.
                I see you are in TN. If you are up for it I can sell you the transmission from my 87 crown victoria for cheap.

It has a Trick Flow 1+quart Deep Transmission Pan (TFS-1007) ($139), B&M Torque Master 2400 Torque Converter (40438) ($405), B&M Shift Improver Kit (40263) ($55)and a TransGo Hi Rev Kit (AOD-HIREV) ($109).

Those parts alone cost over 700 bucks.

Id let the thing go for 400. I am not actively selling it. Offer applies to anyone else reading this.

Pulled simply because I swapped in a manual. Has roughly 138k on it. Trouble free.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Super! @87GTVic
                  I really need something inexpensive and reliable to get back in motion. Hopefully, the coolant leak hasn't caused any motor issues. Let me know how we can handle the shipping arrangements. You wouldn't happen to be passing through east TN?
                  @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Super! @87GTVic
                    I really need something inexpensive and reliable to get back in motion. Hopefully, the coolant leak hasn't caused any motor issues. Let me know how we can handle the shipping arrangements. You wouldn't happen to be passing through east TN?
                    Sorry for getting hopes up. Local pick up only. Thing is big and bulky. Not actively selling it. Plan was to hold onto it in case I find a nice box or fox mustang with a blown aod. Seen this post and figured to throw the offer out if you want to make the trek.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That rebuild price is about right. Seems the going rate around here is a little closer to $2500 (though the shop I used would probably be more in like with your quote).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Super! @87GTVic
                        If I were you, I’d move heaven and earth to get that trans, it’s a smokin’ deal
                        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
                        X