96 MGM Florida Car in Maine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 MGM Florida Car in Maine

Just picked this up from a dealer's lot in central Maine with 95k miles. Sold as a "Florida car," not much rust showing from 5 feet, tho a closer look says it's been in Maine for a few winters. Auction car, was rode hard and put up wet a few times. Hoping I can save it from the all-too common, fast descent into beater hell. Been looking for one of these for a while, 96 is supposed to be a pretty good compromise year between old-school comfort and new age "drivability" in modern traffic. It takes off and stops better than my 88, although it has that creaking aero plastic in the big bumps. LS interior softens the visual blow coming from the Lincoln's Medea Velour, Burl Appliqué, digital dash, and all that other cool 70s/80s interior treatment we know and love.

Pics from the ad, I call it the "Gangster of Love" with the black tint, jacked-up rear, rumbling exhaust leak that I need to fix
    Click image for larger version

Name:	96mq2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1305153

Name:	96mq3.jpg
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1305154

Name:	96mq4.jpg
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	1305155

Name:	96mq1.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1305156
    96 MGM
    sigpic
    Cruisin up and down the road...

Here's a nighttime pic at home, the last cool car pic before I begin geezer-izing this hot rod...

Name:	96nite.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1286394

This was my first vehicle purchase in recent memory that I actually drove home legally. Both prior panthers came home on a flatbed, this one had a new inspection sticker and dealer plate, clean fluids and a fresh oil change, so I didn't mind driving it over an hour off the lot.

First thing I did was install some rear winter tires I had on hand, extra from the Lincoln

Name:	96snows.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1286395

The dealer was kind enough to remove the side tint before I picked up the car but wouldn't touch the rear window b/c of the defrost lines. Personally I don't like tint because it's hard to back up at night, and it's a major cop magnet. At my age I just don't like the attention.

Already it doesn't look as cool without the side tint, so what the hell, I bought a clothing steamer and some plastic razor blades, yesterday it hit 55 degrees with some sun, so I had a go at the back window myself.

Name:	merctintoff.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1286396

Here are the tools I used for the job, was surprised how easy it went, and the defroster and antenna still work

Name:	tintools.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1286397

And now the MGM looks like what it now is, a geezer glide

Name:	mercnotint.jpg
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1286398

A sharp eye may detect my neighbor's box Panther across the street that I may feature at a later date.
    96 MGM
    sigpic

Comment

Since I like lists here are some of the things the dealer did to the car.
      engine oil change
      new air filter
      4 new tires
      front brakes
      plugs and wires
      cleaned it up, he is also a detail shop
      removed side window tint
      new sticker, 14-day plate that I used up.

Here is what I have done to it myself
      removed and cleaned the battery and terminals (has a year-old battery)
      removed rear window tint
      oiled the door latches
      oiled down rusty underhood fasteners and brake lines
      turkey basted the master cylinder and ps reservoir
      ozonated 3x with a machine to get rid of the febreeze stank
      removed 4 febreeze packs the dealer had stashed inside, I'm allergic to chemicals

Here is what I have had shops do for me so far
      Install rear snows
      Flush heater core
      Change gear oil in diff
      New trans fluid/filter/pan gasket
      New fuel filter on frame rail
      Lube the chassis

Upcoming shop maintenance
      This week: bleed brake lines to push new fluid through, fix exhaust leak
      Install rear trailer hitch and wiring

Next week: Replace intake manifold, it still has the all-plastic original intake

After that: Test the anti-freeze, fluid film the underside, then drive it someplace warm.
      96 MGM
      sigpic

Comment

The white shines up nicely.

Good job on the rear tint removal. I will admit that is something I would never want to attempt.

You own an ozone machine? Always curious how they work out for removing smells.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah the ford white is still in real good shape, wondering if it's a reshoot, haven't found any overspray yet but who knows. found some touchups but i do that anyway.

I bought a small ozonator for my 88, which smells like an old cigar. Ozone makes it smell like a swimming pool for a couple days but then the stank comes back. same with the 96 so far but it's just one of those things i feel like i have to keep on trying and maybe one day it will have an effect, like the ozone molecules are duking it out with the febreeze atoms or whatever...

the tint went so easy it surprised me, once i got the plastic razor blade, to lift up that first edge. i have wicked arthritis tho and have been laid up all day on the heating pad after yesterday's contortions, but the result is worth it to me. nice to hear someone else besides me doesn't like tint, so many car forums go for the bling.
          96 MGM
          sigpic

Comment

Good find for an "old" Maine car. Glad you picked it up before the taxi people got it. That is all they run in Bangor area, panthers. Some of them are really nice. I would undercoat it as soon as it dries out, in maybe JUNE? Get a can of Scotch guard and do the seats. You will be glad you did.
            Weird weather. 50s here then ice this afternoon. Wishing you the best with it. Good car. I have a 96 CVPI.

Comment

Nice ride. This one going to be the daily driver?

The neighbors box looks very familiar. I am not your neighbor but sure looks like my car.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. I'm fortunate not to have to drive every day but can only afford one car in my life. For me it is more a matter of cost, efficiency, practicality. And comfort for my old bones. Will drive the 96 for a while before deciding which car to keep, it or the 88. The 88 has been a reliable old friend but I'm not always able to give it the attention it needs.

Neighbor's ride is an 89 LTD wagon, faded maroon. I have a better pic i'll dig up.

As for the fluid film I'm hoping to have it sprayed once I'm done asking guys to work on the underside of the car in a week or 2, that stuff is really a mess to try to work around and I can't afford to piss off my local mechanics...
                96 MGM
                sigpic

Comment

Here are my 2 Panthers btw...

Name:	2cars.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1286407

Here is a better pic of the neighbor's car

Name:	edscar.jpg
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1286408

beauty shot

Name:	edsltd.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1286409
                  96 MGM
                  sigpic

Comment

I understand why your neighbor blows snow that way however just one misguided rock will sure damage the car or break glass.
                    Old wagons of any make that are not rot boxes are hard to find here. That is one of the very few left here not with the woody trim.
                    If you have to sell your 88 Lincoln, hope it goes to a good home. TBA on RT 2 in Bangor has undercoating with rust treatment before application. Bangor Radiator has another option, Ziebart in Arundel is another. Don't know prices.
                    Of course I am sure you would not do what some dealers do...Black spray paint and call it undercoating. "Yeah that bumpy stuff(crusty rust) is the texture of the undercoating."

Comment

Yeah that wagon was a big reason i let the Mrs. talk me into this neighborhood... guy's 84, wouldn't sell it 5 years ago and who knows how long it was sitting before that. It's on a south-facing slope cooking in the sun. i've seen chipmunks, squirrels, a fox and a woodchuck living right next to it. He drives a jetta now, old-guy style, short trips for coffee, hospital, etc, all weather, so i'd guess he drove the wagon like that too before being parked. Last year another guy said he offered 500 and thought he might get it before he disappeared, probably saved himself a lot of grief.

If i sell the Town Car it's not going cheap to a yahoo, too nice for that and i have a lot of receipts. inspected and clean underneath, winters in florida and i had it undercoated when i got it. someone will get a good deal but not a hoon.

2 shops in my town do fluid film, i use both. it works where rust has already started, being oil based and thick it doesn't just cover things up as you say but soaks in and clings. for a small town we have several decent shops.
                      96 MGM
                      sigpic

Comment

Got to watch out for the demo derby clowns. They lie their ass off to get what they want. I had had a few come up and talk like they have to have "my" car. I have flat told them they are lying and to GO AWAY.

Comment

Beautiful cars. Those demo derby car guys are everywhere; I saved mine from the Derby as well. Let them crack up the rusty, unsaveable ones.

Comment

Nice ride. Once you do the intake, that car should be very reliable for you!!
                            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                            Past Panthers
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Today I saw it under a lift for the first time. Hole in the right rear cat, found this, supposed to fit, wondering if anybody has used one of these?
                              https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w.../grand-marquis
                              96 MGM
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X