Cheap reman p/s pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap reman p/s pumps

I was looking for certain cheap things and stumbled upon what looks to be a U-Haul clearance warehouse - selling U-Haul brand products that are discontinued or "scratch and dent", and also what look like surplus items from their truck maintenance network. I found this while looking for another trailer hitch, and stumbled upon a new one for 49 USD shipped. Obviously, yes, I now own that hitch.

Among the items are these power steering pumps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201786666676

The given part numbers are
    F0TZ3A674AX (90-96 Ford Trucks if you take the X off)
    E8TZ3A674BX
    E8TZ3A674B (many things, but interestingly does list the Mark VI, but not other Panthers)

If I am thinking correctly here, these might fit our cars but just have a different pressure regulator doo-hickey in them, so the steering weight might be a bit off but otherwise a functional replacement.

I'd appreciate any feedback supporting or contradicting that line of thinking.
    Last edited by kishy; 01-12-2020, 07:36 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

just swap your original regulator, problem solved. The only real difference in Ford PS pumps are the regulator and sometimes the reservoir. Hydroboost things had an extra return nipple. Might be worth buying one of these. I've got a leaker on the Continental that I've been meaning to pull and re-seal but 40 bucks is hard to beat.

I bought a 100a 1g from these guys a while ago as a spare. Has some useless (to me) pulley on it but its a brand new alternator of the same type 2 of my cars use. Each uses a different pulley anyway so I'd still have to swap. I think it was 30 bucks? Way cheaper than the usual sources.

prob not so much scratch and dent as just obsolete. These things don't fit anything made in the last 20+ years. Prob just reclaiming warehouse space at this point.

**edit**

looks like they aren't out of alternators

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOPZ10346C-...YAAOSwyQtVhGt~

useful for you guys with 100a stock alts still.

or if you want to convert it to a 3g without buying small case brackets, pretty sure this is the animal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UHR307-New-...8AAOSwH41dwKTW
    Last edited by gadget73; 01-12-2020, 11:19 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The 3G you linked is an interesting one. I think the photo is the small case. Complete backwards clocking for use with our stock accessory layout...but that's fixable.

However, one of the the given part numbers comes back to a 95A which appears to be large case (per RockAuto, per Power Select). Applications are wonky on that one. '90 Town Car and some of the 92-98 medium duty trucks, nothing else.

The other given part number comes back to a side-mounted 95A like my Ranger 2.3 takes.

It's a solid deal, whatever it is, but accurately figuring out what it is will probably involve just buying it and finding out.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

even if it is the 95a version, its still an upgrade from a melted 65a 2g. Most of us would never really get anything out of that extra 35 amps of capacity.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am considering the F0PZ, 100 amp as a spare for the 90 CV police car. Should be a direct fit.
          The second one IF it would be a fit without re clocking, I would get 3 of those to do the 3g retrofit on 2, 89 TCs and the 83 Merc.
          Any advise ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            I am considering the F0PZ, 100 amp as a spare for the 90 CV police car. Should be a direct fit.
            The second one IF it would be a fit without re clocking, I would get 3 of those to do the 3g retrofit on 2, 89 TCs and the 83 Merc.
            Any advise ?
            The issue with the 3G is that the part numbers given come back to two completely not-interchangeable examples. If it is the side-bolt version, it can only be used on things that are not Box Panthers, basically.

I'd suggest contacting the seller and verifying which part it actually is.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

so I bought one of the PS pumps. I'll let you know what shows up.

Tom, if you want to use the 100a on the Vic you'll have to change the pulley. NBD. I can pull mine off the shelf for some pics and measurements if you want to confirm tho.

Comment

I just ordered the 100 amp for the 90CV. Checked with R.A. It is a match. Great deal ! EB seller has plenty too. Got to do the pulley change over which is easy.
                I think I had better pass on the other. Cross referenced and it did not match exactly. I will be doing the 3G upgrade on the other cars soon. Just need to get good deals on all the required parts.
                Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOPZ10346C-...YAAOSwyQtVhGt~

useful for you guys with 100a stock alts still.
                  Does a 60A stock interchange with a 100A one? ('85 MGM)
                  $30 for a reman unit... Here I paid 190€ for a new stock 60A unit, even had to swap the pulley from the old one.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

maybe... maybe not. The 100A is a 1G and uses an external regulator for use on the carbureted models and models with the heated windshield. The 60A could be a 1G low output for base models and carbureted models while the 2G with an internal regulator was used 86+ on EFI cars if I remember correctly. If your alternator has the internal regulator, you'll probably want to do the 3G swap to eliminate the quick connect charge wire fire hazard. If you have the 1G, you only need the 3G swap if you really need more power. The 1G alts have complete bolt on connections and are not a fire hazard.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190930_182929.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1286411
                      This is what I had before, and a similar (but shiny) chunk I replaced it with. From my understanding (and the case says 60A) it is a 1G, it has an external regulator (which was actually the culprit when the charging system stopped working last year.
                      My MGM is an LS and has CFI though...

And the 3G swap would be the smart choice were I to upgrade?

I'm reading through a lot of stuff as I'm contemplating / planning on a carb swap since my CFI has been a piece of ass so far.
                      I should do a Reader's Rides thread on my car to consolidate all my ramblings to one place.
                      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

The 100 amp is bigger. The upper bracket needs to be changed in order to go from the 60 to the 100. If I were looking to upgrade the alternator, I'd go 3g 130 amp in the small case. It fits your stock brackets. Needs a little more wiring mods, but wire tends to be more available than limited production brackets that have not been made in almost 30 years.

electrically speaking, the 1g 60a and 1g 100a interchange, though the charge cable and fuse link probably ought to be a wee bit heavier for the 100 amp.

honestly those old alternators are really easy to rebuild. Most of the time its just worn out brushes, or bearings if its noisy. Both are cheap, and if you're doing brushes I would definitely change the bearings. The slip ring can also be had for not stupid money. The only part that is at all difficult is the rectifiers, and thats mostly because you need a big-ass soldering iron to connect them.

The 1g doesn't have amazing idle speed output but its fairly reliable. The 2g has slightly better idle output, but its got a crappy connector that melts and catches fire. The 3g has neither problem. 4g and up are apparently better yet but they don't exist in a package that fits our cars.

the only reason I bother with the 100 amp is I own 2 cars that use it. The large case 3g can be made to work, but the upper ear is fatter so it needs some modification. The Mark VII I can change the brackets to Mustang parts and use a small case stock 3g. The diesel Continental, no such luck. It was just easier and probably cheaper to stock a $30 new one than it would be to get a used one and rebuild it as a shelf spare.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 01-14-2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

so the PS pump got here. Looks fine. D8 part number on the pump body, E8 on the reservoir. Looks exactly like a Panther pump. Its not painted, but that can be fixed or ignored as you see fit. Packed nice, bagged and tagged. I put the whole box on the shelf.

Comment

That U haul seller has three types of transmission coolers available. Light, medium and h.d . decent prices. Also surprised to see new factory seat cushions and covers for trucks. I guess a part distribution center is clearing out inventory.
                            The local Uhaul place has a really nice new F150 that I would love to have. Standard cab, chrome wheels, chrome bumpers and grille. long bed. Uhaul must have got a great deal on it.

Comment

I'd like to find a standard cab short bed but I don't think anyone makes one now.

Comment

Working...
                              X