No announcement yet.

New to GMN from Northern IL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such a neat find. Bonus points for saving her from a cruel fate. That pillow top velour is wonderful! Doesn't look like she's seen too much sun or rain either. Only things to really watch for on the bodies of these is water traps along door bottoms, water traps behind moldings/trim, and the cowling corners (basically where the cowl, fender, and front door meet; very commonly missed spot especially if the fenders haven't been off the car before). On formal rear window cars with the fiberglass shell underneath the vinyl top tend to de-laminate along the base of the C pillar. If you see wet spots or discolored areas on your vinyl top after a rainstorm, peel the top immediately. What eventually happens is the middle section of the roof, underneath the trim (think it was called a tiara bar?) rusts out in weird jagged sections. Happened to an '86 Grand Marquis in AL of all places. There likely have been other examples that I've forgotten about and/or haven't seen yet. My '85 Grand Marquis had a ton of surface rust in the aforementioned areas. No real surprise considering the top was shot when I bought the car.
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Working...
    X