Door panel armrest cracking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door panel armrest cracking up

This is in my 1987 Lincoln TC. Is there anything I can do about this or do I just live with it? It's one of the very few things wrong with the interior.

Click image for larger version

Name:	101_7208.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1305163

I've seen pictures of others cracked up online, so I know that it seems to be a common problem. So far only the drivers door is doing this. My dad said I could try some vinyl/leather repair (I've seen it at Walmart) but I don't know how well that junk would actually do.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Mine had a spot where the old man would place his elbow as he drove. Then after about two years driving mine, I noticed a few small cracks developing where my elbow bones rested on the arm rest. I've learned to not rest my elbow on it without any other sort of padding to protect the arm rest. My solution is to find another door card (unlikely) so I'm just living with it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Interior-Fu...UAAOSwGf5eF2Qy

might be an option for you
      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

I have some door caps in black. You would have to primer then dye them. Some companies that make them, paint them at the factory for an extra cost. I have one installed. It looks pretty good. I do have a near perfect used grey door panel in grey. That one will be pricey as they are hard to find in excellent condition. Having it damaged in shipping could be a risk. You could also take it to an upholstery shop. It may take some searching for one that has the talent and willingness to do it right. I have two that were done and are installed that are just as nice as originals. Actually they were done in IL. Don't know where though. Don't waste your time with vinyl fix it stuff. Looks crappy.

Comment

pretty much everyone has that probblem. The caps are really the only fix. They look pretty good really, you can only tell they are installed if you look close at it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 with Gadget. The only thing that lets a person know that a cap has been installed is there is an edge all the way around. I have trimmed caps down to minimize that effect. still it shows. The cap is a hard plastic which is a real plus as it wont crack like vinyl.

Comment

pfffffttt… What the hell is the point to having armrests when ya cant rest your arm on them... darn things cracking because of being used like they are supposed to...

Door caps... huh. Never seen that before. So they go OVER the existing door panel? Huh. How's that work around the switch panel and door handle and the like? I'll have to look this stuff up. I'm intrigued now.

Hmm, so it's either that, swap for a good door panel(which will do the same thing sometime down the road), or live with it... Those cap's look kind of expensive, then have to get them colored... Think I'll just live with it. Its not that bad yet. I've seen a few with chunks missing, I'm nowhere near that bad.
              1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Working...
              X