Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 Lincoln-Load Leveling troubleshooting- compressor is good but won't pump up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Lincoln-Load Leveling troubleshooting- compressor is good but won't pump up

Hey guy's. I've searched around for this subject and haven't been able to come up with much anywhere. My car has the load leveling rear suspension from the factory. I'm trying to get it working again- as it should. Is there any online resources I could look at that's available? Service manual, system schematic?

I can pump it up under the hood with an air compressor/tire inflator, back end goes up like it should. System does hold pressure for awhile. One rear shock I found does have a small tear that leaks. I can hear it only when I'm under the car. Very slow leak. Is there anything I can seal it with that will hold?

As said above, the system will hold pressure, but if I turn the ignition on it lets it back out again at the pump under the hood. It lets it out to where the sensor in the back senses that the car is level. I have checked the system right after and it still has some pressure in it(unless I let it sit for a few hours, then it all leaks out the rear shock). My problem is that it then won't pump back up after the car has sat. It has never powered up the pump by itself.

I recently disconnected and pulled out the pump. I pulled it partially apart on the bench and checked it over. I re assembled it and tested it by connecting the pump motor directly to another 12v battery. It turns out that the pump works fine. Came to life with no struggle and is pushing plenty of air. I tested for power at the connector under the hood (that feeds the pump itself) and with weight in the trunk, ignition on it had NO Power going to it. Is my control box in the trunk fudged? Is the height sensor bad?(I wouldn't think so since it tells the system to let it out to a certain point) Something else? Is there a relay for the pump motor I could check? I don't know where to go now for more trouble shooting. If I can get the pump working as it should I will see about fixing that rear shock, or find out what good replacements I could get to take the place, but until I get this system running there's no point...
    1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

There is a ride height sensor off to the driver's side above the rear axle. Mine needed to be adjusted in order to maintain the ride height I wanted. My original compressor also worked just peachy yet I bought two NOS ones in case. Anyway, I went with the Monroe kit to replace my original shocks which were leaking. You don't want any leaks, the more the compressor runs, the faster it will burn out. Four years later and it still works great. Took a lot of fiddling to get that sensor right. It'll never be perfect or as sensitive as the system which replaced it in 1990 though.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I would think it is the wires, connectors or the controller. I would check the wire that signals the pump to turn on since the wire that controls venting seems ok. I can't remember if the height sensor can fail in only one direction (up in this case) but cleaning the connector might help.

You need to buy new air shocks to fix the leak.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Just check to make sure the fuse isn't blown or removed, it's possible that the leak meant it was coming on a lot and the PO removed it to keep it from killing the battery when sitting.
        Likewise, double check that no connectors have been unplugged.

Send me a PM in a couple days when I get home from work and I'll see if I have the wiring diagram for the load leveler. If you don't send me a message, I'll probably forget.

Comment

I had the air suspension system on one of the 89 TCs. I worked on it for awhile. Had minor problems including leaking shocks. When the new replacement shocks leaked, I was fed up with the OLD system. I switched to HD springs,shocks and sway bar. Deleted all the air suspension stuff. Very happy since then.
          Last edited by Mainemantom; 01-16-2020, 05:26 PM.

Comment

If the shock leaks, replace the shocks. You can use standard aftermarket air shocks and there is an adapter for about 10 bucks to interface it. OE Motorshaft shocks for this do not exist anymore. They're probably worn out at this point anyway.

System is fairly simple. Load sensor in the back over the axle, computer for it in the trunk, should be on the passenger side, compressor, and the compressor relay. Not actually sure where the relay is on an 87. I'd think it should be somewhere near the compressor, but if its not there, check the trunk near the computer. Make sure the compressor relay hasn't burned out, otherwise its not going to go. Over-use from leaky shocks will fry the relay, and it can fry the fuse link for it. Had both on my car.

mine isn't actually in use at the moment. I'm not a big fan of how the extremely limited selection of air shocks hold up or ride, and eventually I want to use load leveling air bags inside the coils. I've only been talking about doing that for like 4 years now, so clearly not a big priority.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Glad I got on the PC before I headed out today for work. Saw Derek's post. Before hand, didn't realize I could adjust the sensor range. Well, today after getting done with some work, I messed with the car. Jacked it up and set the axle on stands. Pulled the link off the sensor, made sure all the wires were hooked back up, turned the ignition on and played under the car. Guess what, it does work! It was just out of range for pumping it up. Thanks Derek, for the tip to play with that thing.

I adjusted the little link itself to pump up the shocks some when the system was empty. It still levels it back out like it should too, with the adjustment. Found that out by getting in the trunk. It pumped itself up to where it wanted to be, then when I got out it pissssssed out some air from the pump assembly and leveled the car back out. I have now unhooked the electrical control box in the trunk so that the system wont run. Don't want to burn the pump out now. I need to seal that shock up or get new ones. The car want's to turn on that pump now (when plugged in) about once every minute. Guess my leak is worse than I thought.

Derek, what do ya think about them Monroe shocks? How do ya like them?

Bgreywolf, Does the system stay active when the key is out and the car is just sitting? I did shut off the ignition when the pump was on and it stopped immediately... Thanks for the wiring diagram offer. I don't know if I'll need it now.

Mainemantom, what kind of shocks were they? So I can maybe avoid them if they are known leakers... Hmm, rear swaybar? How does that affect the ride on these?

Hey Gadget, Sucks to see that the motorcraft shocks are no longer available. Really don't know what would compare best to the original. I would prefer ones that offer a factory ride, instead of a truck like ride... Like my bouncy lifted jeep...
              Actually for the most part, I think the shocks are still pretty good(even though they're original) . At least when it comes to the old fashioned bounce test where you push down each corner of the car and count how many times it bounces up.

Well, thanks guy's for the info. It seems the general consensus is now to replace the rear shocks. (should probably do all 4 if I do) It'd be nice if I could just slap some rtv on the old one's but... ohwell. What's everybody like? or what's the least hated? I see on RockAuto, they offer Monroe MA815 and Gabriel 49205. Are their any others available? I've got gabriel's on my big Jeep and they're still doing fine after about 3 years, 1 year being used hard to keep the ass from sagging. (I've since rebuilt the rear springs in that thing)
              1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

Glad the tip was useful!
                Aside from my leaky factory shocks, that was all that was wrong with the system. Glad mine was out of adjustment though, otherwise I'd have been dealing with a dead compressor or more.. The way it was required my fat ass to climb in the trunk before it would even kick on..

The system is semi active when the ignition is off, that is to say that it will only allow air to be released from the system but it will not energize the compressor to bump height up. When I used to use my car to get groceries it was worth a giggle or two to hear the solenoid energize to let air out as cases of pop and stuff were removed from the trunk and or when overly fat relatives got out of it; the car's ass would jump right in the air and then come down gracefully as air exhausted from the system.

I believe the Monroe MA815 kit is what I bought. People on this forum shit all over Monroe but I have no complaints about my shocks some four or five years after the install. Nor do I mind the four HD Monroe shocks I put on my K1500.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  I believe the Monroe MA815 kit is what I bought. People on this forum shit all over Monroe but I have no complaints about my shocks some four or five years after the install.
                  I guess I've never noticed what people say about Monroes here. Everyone has their own preference and I often do my own thing. I know I prefer the Gabriel HiJackers 49205 on The Ice Car over the Monroe Max-Air MA815 on The Scab, but that's because I like hauling around a full garage in the trunk with a billion pounds of crap nobody would ever need. I did have problems with the fittings that came with the MA815 kit, but once I got that sorted out I've not had problems with the Monroe kit (installed 2 or 3 years ago).
                  If you're looking for a nice luxurious ride, the Monroe Max-Air MA815 are good. If you want to haul a ton-o-crap Gabriel HiJackers 49205.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I have a set of new-in-the-box Motorcraft air shocks you can have cheap. Tested and they work fine

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...aft+air+shocks
                    96 MGM
                    sigpic
                    Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

There is a decent offer from BoulevardRide. If they are not too old.
                      I don’t remember what air shocks I had that were bad as I returned them. The police sway bar, I added. I like a very stiff ride.You might not like that one . Maybe the factory h.d suspension would be more to your liking. Improved cornering, less lean.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                        There is a decent offer from BoulevardRide. If they are not too old.
                        I don’t remember what air shocks I had that were bad as I returned them. The police sway bar, I added. I like a very stiff ride.You might not like that one . Maybe the factory h.d suspension would be more to your liking. Improved cornering, less lean.
                        The shocks I have, one box says 98, one says 99. So they are probably about as new as one can find any more.

I converted to coilovers because my system was leaking somewhere and nobody in my little town wanted to troubleshoot such an old, antiquated system. Can't blame them, all the shops here are busy keeping all the 2005 rustbuckets running for the poor folks living in the woods, so to them a 1988 is ancient history, and i am too disabled to crawl around inside/under the car myself.

I chose the Monroes b/c the reviews said they rode smoother than the gabriels and i need a soft ride. they have worked fine for me.

also to the OP, lmk if you want my Motorcrafts as another member has expressed interest but i offered them to you first and like to keep my word...
                        96 MGM
                        sigpic
                        Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

Before you condemn the shocks, make sure it's not the air tubing or fittings into the shock itself.
                          The system does stay active, though it does delay making changes when the key is off. They talk about a 10 second pause, but I think there's a longer delay when car is shut off (probably so you can get your 800 pounds of luggage into the hotel without startling the bellboy).
                          I took some crummy pics of the 1986 Grand Marquis wiring/troubleshooting, send me a PM with your email and I can send them to you if you want. Not quite the same, but should be close enough. It's cold in Maine, and I don't feel like rooting through boxes of books for the '87 Lincoln book if I can help it (but if you have further trouble, I absolutely will look for it).

Comment

No, its the shocks. The line from the compressor on back is good. I've inspected it thoroughly. Both shocks have alligatoring cracks on them(rubber) and like said above, the driver side one has a mark that looks like something sharp rubbed it. Looks like a cut by a razor blade. When the system has air in it, I can put my finger over this mark and feel a small breeze. If I moosh it with my finger, it stops hissing.

Derek, ya gave me a good laugh regarding relatives. lol

Well, if I get new shocks I'm leaning towards the Monroes. I'm not going to be carrying all my tools with me where ever I go. and I prefer the Lincoln, to ride more like a classic Lincoln.
                            The ones boulevard offered sound good, but I'm honestly leery about the age of them and how much longer they may last when put into real life use at 20+ years old.

Comment

Just in case, this seller has the Motorcraft original air shocks at a good price (considering that Rockauto has them at $99 and $114):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Motorcr...7/152837140263

$49,75, Part numbers AS252 and AS253

Comment

Working...
                              X