Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1987 Lincoln-Load Leveling troubleshooting- compressor is good but won't pump up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoulevardRide View Post
    ..I converted to coilovers because my system was leaking somewhere and nobody in my little town wanted to troubleshoot such an old, antiquated system..
    Stop right there lol. It being antiquated is the beauty of it. No computer module to "talk" to, just wires to trace and those are seldom the problem. In the cases I've examined, it's just been the shocks that were no good or the ride height sensor- it was either out of adjustment or dead.

Originally posted by bgreywolf View Post
    Before you condemn the shocks, make sure it's not the air tubing or fittings into the shock itself.
    The system does stay active, though it does delay making changes when the key is off...
    This. My fittings were leaky too once the kit was installed. 30 minutes of fiddling and no leaks four years after the fact. Although the literature I have (and my own car) will not energize the compressor to raise the car, it will only let air out as described in the book..

Originally posted by ZackN920 View Post
    No, its the shocks. The line from the compressor on back is good. I've inspected it thoroughly. Both shocks have alligatoring cracks on them(rubber) and like said above, the driver side one has a mark that looks like something sharp rubbed it. Looks like a cut by a razor blade. When the system has air in it, I can put my finger over this mark and feel a small breeze. If I moosh it with my finger, it stops hissing.

Derek, ya gave me a good laugh regarding relatives. lol

Well, if I get new shocks I'm leaning towards the Monroes. I'm not going to be carrying all my tools with me where ever I go. and I prefer the Lincoln, to ride more like a classic Lincoln.
    The ones boulevard offered sound good, but I'm honestly leery about the age of them and how much longer they may last when put into real life use at 20+ years old.
    Yah I'd be leery of old rubber too.
    The Monroes ride really nice IMO. I prefer the factory, floaty ride. My Formula Fireturd provides all the stiff corner cutting handling I can stomach. There is one thing intrinsic to both kits though, and that is the tiny air bladders. In most scenarios, you'll never notice but in the ones where you've got two or more very large Americans in your car (Black Sheep reference) and some cargo in the trunk for say a road trip or something, those little things will be so inflated that they do make the ride a bit stiff over hard bumps which require a lot of suspension travel. I think gadget might've mentioned that already. That is another "+1" for the newer system which started in 1990 or the Mark VII system. I still like the option though, and would be hard pressed to buy another box without it, especially a Lincoln.

Yours is very nice by the way, sig looks good. If it was mine, (and I wish it was) I'd find some lacy spokes or turbines with the matching Lincoln center caps for it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I bought NOS non-air shocks for mine for 10 bucks a piece a few years ago. Date codes are from the early 1990s. They're actually fine. I needed something to replace aftermarket shocks that had junk mount hardware that wasn't working out, and Rockauto had the Motorcraft cheap. They actually fit right. I forget what I had on there previously, but the lower bolt was too small a diameter to correctly pilot in the hole on the axle. It relied on the nut smashing the bolt up against the bushing to keep it all from moving. That failed, the shock was able to move relative to the axle and it was making obnoxious sounds. The Motorcraft shocks have a proper step in the bolt that fits exactly in the axle so nothing can move.

front shocks are Motorcraft CVPI pieces from the late 90s. Also fine.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Those one's on ebay look more like you are buying 1 individual shock for that price.

Hey Derek,
        No computer huh? Then what's that box in my trunk when I take out the inner right panel? Reminds me of some funky computer module...

Well, that's alright with me (regarding shocks with small air bladders). Part of the nature of it. Got the good with the bad. Don't really carry a bunch of people around too often. so...ehh.

Thanks for the complement, and ya read my mind. I'm not too keen on the wire wheel covers. Would much rather have the Turbines. Lacy Spoke on the other hand… hmm, I'm not to into them either to be honest but they'd be a step up from what I've got. Do kind of like the look of the HPP that another member pointed out, but something(can't tell what) just seems a bit off about them.
        Hey, so... ya wanna buy the car? It's not really for sale but if you throw $8K my way, I can be persuaded... Originally when I got the car, I was thinking of fixing it up and re-selling it. Actually though, I've grown attached to it, so if someone wants it they're gunna have to put up some real cash to pry it out of my hands.

Regular shocks, I figure are more likely to be fine. The air shocks though, have that extra rubber around them. Rubber that does more bending and has more stress on it from being filled with air. Still don't know about them...
        1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

...Hey Derek,
          No computer huh? Then what's that box in my trunk when I take out the inner right panel? Reminds me of some funky computer module... ...

...Thanks for the complement, and ya read my mind. I'm not too keen on the wire wheel covers. Would much rather have the Turbines. Lacy Spoke on the other hand… hmm, I'm not to into them either to be honest but they'd be a step up from what I've got. Do kind of like the look of the HPP that another member pointed out, but something(can't tell what) just seems a bit off about them.
          Hey, so... ya wanna buy the car? It's not really for sale but if you throw $8K my way, I can be persuaded... Originally when I got the car, I was thinking of fixing it up and re-selling it. Actually though, I've grown attached to it, so if someone wants it they're gunna have to put up some real cash to pry it out of my hands...
          It's a 'module'

I like the turbines better myself but the purist in me knows that only the lacy spokes were Town Car exclusive, so internally there is a bit of prestige there and I think they were also the higher cost option.

Ooo man, I'd consider giving you what you paid perhaps but I wouldn't even ask $8k for my Town Car and it realistically needs nothing and I already have history with it, 40,000+ miles worth actually. Plus, I told myself no more Town Cars unless it has the digital dash & JBL option from the factory.

Comment

its a controller. Computer. Module. Brain. Whatever you want to call it. Box with inputs and outputs. Could probably replace it with something built in the space of a credit card with modern tech.

The 90s air springs don't fit anyway. Frame doesn't have the clearance holes for the solenoids. Could chop them I suppose, or frame swap it, but all that seems like a lot of work for not much point. I had considered doing it on my 86 until I realized the frame problem. Not cutting holes and I'm not frame swapping it, so that idea is out. It is a better system, but since it doesn't fit in a practical way it doesn't much matter. I am a big fan of air suspension though. My Mark VII and Continental both have 4 wheel air and it shall stay intact.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yah I'm not cutting up my car either, I just recognize that the system which replaced it is better. If I replaced my car with an '87 Conti or '90-'92 Mark VII, the air system would remain intact for those as well. Nothing rides better than air in my opinion. And it's cool that the car maintains factory height at all times within limits of the system.

Comment

If the Panther had ever come with 4 wheel air, I'd be more inclined to swap the frame if I'm being honest about it. Handles and rides well. Even the Continental with its coat hanger sway bars and the mushier type air springs handles better than you'd expect it should.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  It's a 'module'

I like the turbines better myself but the purist in me knows that only the lacy spokes were Town Car exclusive, so internally there is a bit of prestige there and I think they were also the higher cost option.

Ooo man, I'd consider giving you what you paid perhaps but I wouldn't even ask $8k for my Town Car and it realistically needs nothing and I already have history with it, 40,000+ miles worth actually. Plus, I told myself no more Town Cars unless it has the digital dash & JBL option from the factory.
                  lol. yup.

ooh, I didn't know that the lacy spokes are TC exclusive...

Bwahahaha. That'd be my "stupid" price. As in 'I don't want to sell it, but if you give me xxxx amount I can be persuaded'. Realistic price that I'd like would be in the ballpark of $3500. I bought it for just a bit more than half of that. Since I've got money and time tied into it(on top of purchase), I'd want to make SOME of that back and a little profit. How many miles on yours? Mine has 98K right now. I only put about 2k on it last summer/fall. Took it off the road when winter came around.

Hmm, digital dash would be an interesting option, and I like the extra features it has but I like the look of the analog gauge panel better. I wonder how the JBL sounds? Mines just got the so called "premium sound" with a football amp in the trunk. That amp has something wrong with the left channel, less bass response than the right and tinny treble. Kinda pisses me off that it's a bastard system that I can't do much with, without rewiring I like the head unit, and it works properly, but that stupid amp. Sound is good out the back speakers so I know its not the radio. Welp, I'm rambalin'.
                  1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series-102k miles- LOPO 302, AOD, open 3.27, Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Turbo mufflers

Comment

You guys goin on about air ride... Ive got no clue what it's even like. Never ridden in a car with air ride. They've all had springs. Leaves in the back and either leaves, coils or torsion bars in the front...

What's it like? Literally riding on a cloud?

Comment

The JBL is quite decent. Have it factory in the Mark VII, and I installed it in the Continental as an upgrade from the football amp. Something like 4x the power and its pretty noticeable. The Towncar has a bunch of aftermarket stuff.

I half considered installing the digital dash once but abandoned that idea when I realized how much wiring was involved to make the message center function. The fuel gauge and speedo are easy, but without the message center its kind of pointless IMO. The easiest way to do it would be to pull the dash harness out of a donor car, and thats not exactly a trivial thing to do.

The air suspension is a bit hard to describe really. Its not so much floating on a cloud as it is just well behaved. I've been in 70s land yachts where it feels like you're piloting a water bed down the road. No real connection between you and anything. If you can imagine that ride, but without the "not connected to anything" aspect to it. It doesn't wallow around corners or have so much body roll you worry about capsizing.

Comment

You guys goin on about air ride... Ive got no clue what it's even like. Never ridden in a car with air ride. They've all had springs. Leaves in the back and either leaves, coils or torsion bars in the front...

What's it like? Literally riding on a cloud?
                        What gadget said. My dad had a '90 Mark VII and that thing was pretty nice to ride in. Ashley later got a '91 Mark VII and it was the same thing until the compressor quit and we sold it. They've got better manners compared to regulo springs. The ride height adjustment thing is pretty cool too.

lol. yup.

ooh, I didn't know that the lacy spokes are TC exclusive...

Bwahahaha. That'd be my "stupid" price. As in 'I don't want to sell it, but if you give me xxxx amount I can be persuaded'. Realistic price that I'd like would be in the ballpark of $3500. I bought it for just a bit more than half of that. Since I've got money and time tied into it(on top of purchase), I'd want to make SOME of that back and a little profit. How many miles on yours? Mine has 98K right now. I only put about 2k on it last summer/fall. Took it off the road when winter came around.

Hmm, digital dash would be an interesting option, and I like the extra features it has but I like the look of the analog gauge panel better. I wonder how the JBL sounds? Mines just got the so called "premium sound" with a football amp in the trunk. That amp has something wrong with the left channel, less bass response than the right and tinny treble. Kinda pisses me off that it's a bastard system that I can't do much with, without rewiring I like the head unit, and it works properly, but that stupid amp. Sound is good out the back speakers so I know its not the radio. Welp, I'm rambalin'.
                        Oh ok, yeah that makes sense. I don't think I've ever made money off a car in the sense most look at it. Now, if I could get $6,500 for my Town Car, I think I will have made money off it. But, I wouldn't be able to replace it with something just as good/reliable for that price. 'Cause as you said, by the time you start throwing money at it to make it reliable in your eyes, you're over market value. And of course the car you want to buy is always over priced and under maintained, but they won't come down at all. Don't know where these clowns find their deals but I sure wish I had access to that circus...

I think my car has 123k on it now (I think). I bought it with 86,xxx on it. I've rehabbed the A/C, had it painted, put new tires on it (even the spare), resealed the top half of the engine, upgraded the stereo completely with subwoofer & big ass capacitor, put special window tint on it, did the 3G alternator swap, upgraded the body ground for the stereo, replaced window motors, every single light bulb, headlights, reaimed them, had a trak-lok put in it, re did the brakes and more I'm sure. It's a great car. I just don't really drive it any more. Last time I did I think it was for the Metro-Detroit meet up back in October.

The JBL system is damn decent, even to this day. JBL is(was) one hell of a speaker mfg'r too. Back in the day, they were the industry standard for studio monitors and live performances, shit was legendary. They made all of their own drivers and R&D'd in house. I'm sure it was no different with their car audio stuff and what the Lincolns got was awesome. They way they did it is how they still do it today, Preamp feeding external amplifier feeding coaxial speakers. You should see the magnets on the 6x9's, massive. I champion that factory stuff big time. If you can find a Townie with the JBL option, pilfer the amp and the speakers. You'd be hardpressed to beat the speakers with anything modern without spending big bucks. They sound that good. Now, the foam will have rotted away on one of the smaller speakers in the 6x9's but if you unplug it, no biggie. I ran my Town Car with factory JBL stuff for awhile after I put the aftermarket amp & head unit in. I didn't notice much in the way of improvement when I moved to JBL Power Series speakers, may that series rest in peace. Last decent one from JBL.

The wiring problem you mentioned is also why I give the 1988 model year Town Car the nod as the best year (among other things). My car was a factory premium sound car and all I had to do was swap the amp out (Yep, the JBL amp will plug & play with the factory harness that year) and swap the speakers over and boom, she's got factory JBL. Only missing touch is the JBL-Ford emblems for my 6x9's, I need those and still haven't been able to find minty ones for my car. Even if you went aftermarket, you could still use a lot of the wiring on an '88+ box Townie.

The digi dash is cool because of all the spaceship buttons on that dash panel. But like gadget said, there really is no easy way to put it in a Town Car which doesn't have it. I do prefer the backlit analog dash of the '88 & '89 model years over the '87 and down.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          The JBL is quite decent. Have it factory in the Mark VII, and I installed it in the Continental as an upgrade from the football amp. Something like 4x the power and its pretty noticeable. The Towncar has a bunch of aftermarket stuff.

I half considered installing the digital dash once but abandoned that idea when I realized how much wiring was involved to make the message center function. The fuel gauge and speedo are easy, but without the message center its kind of pointless IMO. The easiest way to do it would be to pull the dash harness out of a donor car, and thats not exactly a trivial thing to do.

The air suspension is a bit hard to describe really. Its not so much floating on a cloud as it is just well behaved. I've been in 70s land yachts where it feels like you're piloting a water bed down the road. No real connection between you and anything. If you can imagine that ride, but without the "not connected to anything" aspect to it. It doesn't wallow around corners or have so much body roll you worry about capsizing.
                          Oooooh, JBL sounds sweeter than I thought. If I remember right, its not plug and play with an '87. If it was, that be something i'd be on the look out for in the local JY.

I'm not big on aftermarket junk. I've removed a couple of systems and reverted back to stock. Those vehicles sounded better with a stock unit. My Cherokee for example, had a Sony head unit in it. The system had no bass and sounded tinny. No matter how it was set, it sounded like shit. Put a Chrysler CD/Cassette unit in it and it sound's awesome. Great bass for having no sub, good mids and treble. That stereo has an equalizer too!

I think the Digital Dash is cool but I wouldn't really want it. Unless the car already had it. I'd rather have some of the functions in an upper console (like how my dad's Jeep Grand Cherokee is set up)

LOL- "piloting a water bed down the road" Yea, I can imagine that ride. I haven't experienced it anytime in the last several years but I get what ya mean Air ride sounds... pleasant. If I get the chance, i'll have to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Oh ok, yeah that makes sense. I don't think I've ever made money off a car in the sense most look at it. Now, if I could get $6,500 for my Town Car, I think I will have made money off it. But, I wouldn't be able to replace it with something just as good/reliable for that price. 'Cause as you said, by the time you start throwing money at it to make it reliable in your eyes, you're over market value. And of course the car you want to buy is always over priced and under maintained, but they won't come down at all. Don't know where these clowns find their deals but I sure wish I had access to that circus...

I think my car has 123k on it now (I think). I bought it with 86,xxx on it. I've rehabbed the A/C, had it painted, put new tires on it (even the spare), resealed the top half of the engine, upgraded the stereo completely with subwoofer & big ass capacitor, put special window tint on it, did the 3G alternator swap, upgraded the body ground for the stereo, replaced window motors, every single light bulb, headlights, reaimed them, had a trak-lok put in it, re did the brakes and more I'm sure. It's a great car. I just don't really drive it any more. Last time I did I think it was for the Metro-Detroit meet up back in October.

The JBL system is damn decent, even to this day. JBL is(was) one hell of a speaker mfg'r too. Back in the day, they were the industry standard for studio monitors and live performances, shit was legendary. They made all of their own drivers and R&D'd in house. I'm sure it was no different with their car audio stuff and what the Lincolns got was awesome. They way they did it is how they still do it today, Preamp feeding external amplifier feeding coaxial speakers. You should see the magnets on the 6x9's, massive. I champion that factory stuff big time. If you can find a Townie with the JBL option, pilfer the amp and the speakers. You'd be hardpressed to beat the speakers with anything modern without spending big bucks. They sound that good. Now, the foam will have rotted away on one of the smaller speakers in the 6x9's but if you unplug it, no biggie. I ran my Town Car with factory JBL stuff for awhile after I put the aftermarket amp & head unit in. I didn't notice much in the way of improvement when I moved to JBL Power Series speakers, may that series rest in peace. Last decent one from JBL.

The wiring problem you mentioned is also why I give the 1988 model year Town Car the nod as the best year (among other things). My car was a factory premium sound car and all I had to do was swap the amp out (Yep, the JBL amp will plug & play with the factory harness that year) and swap the speakers over and boom, she's got factory JBL. Only missing touch is the JBL-Ford emblems for my 6x9's, I need those and still haven't been able to find minty ones for my car. Even if you went aftermarket, you could still use a lot of the wiring on an '88+ box Townie.

The digi dash is cool because of all the spaceship buttons on that dash panel. But like gadget said, there really is no easy way to put it in a Town Car which doesn't have it. I do prefer the backlit analog dash of the '88 & '89 model years over the '87 and down.
                            Having something painted is a big HUGE expense. I can see why it'd be hard for ya to get money back. Your car is worth some good coin though, with all that done. If it's real nice, NADA claims its worth around $10K. Think I've seen a few pics of yours. Its black right? Black Town Cars are the shiz. My favorite color and the ultimate 1980's mob mobile. I get told that mine looks like a mob car- I just laugh. "Like really, you think 'light sandalwood' is a mob car color?" My car is a business man's, or an OLD MAN car.

I knew JBL was some pretty good stuff for home stereo (usually expensive) but didn't really think THAT much of it for car audio. I figured it was a bit better, but you guys are really boasting about it. hmm, I wonder how my crappy amp set up would sound with just the JBL speakers? How are those 6X9's set up? I have re-foamed speakers before. Its not that hard. Can they be pulled apart to do?

Hmm, were on opposite ends than when it comes to analog gauges in these cars. I like 87 and older more than the newer. The new just doesn't look like it has as much class. They lost the Lincoln logo's and I don't really like the needles as much.

Comment

I think if you get the '86 JBL amp it might be. (I have one )

I certainly talk it up. I used to have to put stereos in everything I drove, speakers and all that. Only the $300+ a pair stuff I bought from Boston Acoustics (Back when they still sold car audio stuff) came close and was maybe better. But I blew two pairs of their 6x9's and I've never been able to blow this JBL stuff and for the price, can't beat it. A car is a terrible listening environment anyway. I'm much more satisfied with what I've got going on at home now. JBL L150A's, Marantz 510M with a Marantz 3600 Preamp and a Audio Control Series II equalizer. Audiophonic Nirvana right there.

Yah, here's the first page of my car's thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-1988-Town-Car

NADA is just talk, a person standing in front of you makin' an offer is what I go buy. I certainly wouldn't pay 10k to own my car haha.

Those 6x9's are set up such that the big woofer has a cloth type surround which never needs to be redone, there is a midrange type speaker which does have the foam which has rotted away and a tweeter which will be fine. It'll be the dash speakers you'll never find. They've all been rotted away by the sun so you'll be SOL there. I just leave mine disconnected and run door & rears as well a sub. The JBL amp should talk to the aftermarket speakers just fine, but might run hotter since they're lower impedance than the factory stuff. Maybe it'll blow the fuse more often or whatnot. Not sure. Gadget will chime in and say the amps do tend to die after awhile and need to have a thing-a-ma-bob replaced. You can find the parts online though. You can use the JBL amp with a aftermarket stereo too. I did that but noticed the volume was really low for whatever reason. I then just bought an aftermarket amp and when all out with it.

Aesthetically, the '87 and down looks better. In daylight. Everywhere else, the newer stuff reigns to me. I even appreciate the updated warning light cluster with added check engine light. Although it doesn't work on many '88's for whatever reason. Mine never has, Ashley's old '89 did though.

Comment

It can be made to work on an 87 with the premium sound amp but it does require a bit of jiggering around. I was able to run it from the original head unit without issue, but I did eventually swap it to the JBL one. I can dig up my notes from when I converted the 84 Continental. it should be pretty much the same process on an 87 Towncar. I made adapter harnesses so the factory wiring isn't much modified. I can actually plug the football amp back in and have it work. Somewhere in the middle I converted it from 2 channel football to 4 channel to see if it made a difference. Honestly it did not, o at least not enough of one to bother with. What I'm using doesn't exactly match what the car would have come with if it was a factory JBL system but I was able to make it go. If you can find an 87-89 car with the JBL rig, that might be a better donor though. Pull the signal cable from front to back and use the later head unit. That will get you into the 90s for stereos, and those could be had with a CD player or changer. Very simple to hack in an aux input on the later stuff that was changer-compatible. Its possible to do on the earlier ones but it requires a little internal surgery.

The factory speakers were fairly low impedance. Premium sound rears should be 6 ohm, the fronts are also 6 ohm for a total load of 3 ohms since they're in parallel.

In a perfect world I'd have a heavier power cable, but its functional as-is. At some point I may upgrade the power feed though.

Comment

Working...
                                X