Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backspacing for 15 x 10 inch wide rear wheels on wagon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backspacing for 15 x 10 inch wide rear wheels on wagon ?

Hey box panther brethren! Been loving my wagon I purchased several months back. I’ve put over 3k miles on her and shes been treating me very well… I’m about to start upgrading several things.

I have searched around and have not found a straight answer on grandmarq.net

My question:

There are a set of 15 x 10 wheels for sale near me that have 5.5 inches of backspacing (they have the right bolt pattern). Will 5.5" BS 15x10's fit the rear of my 87’ wagon without rubbing? I can handle some minor fender rolling but I dont want to have to cut a bunch out or do anything crazy.

Anybody run this wheel BS / size on a wagon?

I would be running 295/50R15 size tires with the original width axle, bilstein shocks and speedway 250lb rear springs.

I apologize in advanced if this has already been answered… but I honestly have found somewhat contradictory info by searching the site… Some posters have run 15x10” wide 4” backspacing on wagons without problem while others say 4” backspacing sticks out past the fenders? I’ve read from several posters that 5.5” backspacing is ideal for a 15x10” wheel on a sedan… but I’m unsure if that applies to the wagons?

All the best, Kyle.
    1987 slick top Wagon

Search "photobucket embed fix" to remove watermark from photos

What I'm running on a tudor sedan:
    275/60/15 tires
    Original width K code axle
    Bilstein shocks
    15x10 , 6.25 backspacing & 1/4 in. spacer
    Rubbed on the frame as the suspension traveled without a spacer.
    Didn't need to roll the fenders.
    "Massaged" the inner fender wells slightly.
    Hope this helps, and good luck.
    1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
    1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Thanks slug, it does help. I'm thinking 5.5 BS should fit without rubbing... I wont really know until I test fit them. It's an hour drive for me but these wheels will look good on my wagon so it's worth the drive.

-Kyle
      1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Alice87 View Post
        Thanks slug, it does help. I'm thinking 5.5 BS should fit without rubbing... I wont really know until I test fit them. It's an hour drive for me but these wheels will look good on my wagon so it's worth the drive.

-Kyle
        Hope you get them and they work for you. Post a picture if you do.
        1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
        1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Mocked the wheels up and they are ok... seem to have a decent amount of clearance on the inside next to the frame. Honestly cant tell much until I get the 295/50r15 tires and get it on the ground. I'm gonna install the bilstein's and speedway springs at the same time as the new wheels... I'm excited to get it all installed and done, just not so excited about trying to access the top nut on the rear shocks though lol.

Attached some photos below. The new springs weigh in at 20lbs each for the front and 12.5lbs each for the rear pigtails. The wheels weigh about 18.5lbs each... not too bad for 10" wide wheel I suppose.
          Attached Files
          1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

That'll be SWEEEET...
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

I got the tires mounted & balanced, the blue paint they put over the letters is a pain to remove. Scrubbing with hot water finally got it off. I'll try and get them installed tonight and post up pics later... Of course it just started raining and it's 40 degrees out
              I'm gonna back the wagon into the garage and get started, too impatient to wait till it warms up and dries out.
              Attached Files
              1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Well they fit with room to spare!

Its rainy and crappy outside + the wagon hasn't been washed in a decade so not the best pics... when it gets dry out ill wash the wagon and take better pics.

here soon I'll installed the shocks / speedway springs and save up for some matching 15x8 front wheels.
                Attached Files
                1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Looks like a perfect fit to me. Also makes me second guess my decision to put mine out to pasture.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

How much space between the inside of the tire and the control arm?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There's about 1.5" of clearance from the frame-rail to the tire. The control arm has a decent amount of clearance; Here's a couple of pics of the inside clearance sly:
                      Attached Files
                      1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Looks great. Makes me wish I'd have taken the plunge on 9 or 10" width wheels for the back...
                        '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
                        formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

I like it.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm loving it. So far I've driven it about 30 odd miles and haven't gotten any rubbing at all... and that's with the sagging original springs and ruined shocks. I'm genuinely surprised as I figured it would rub a little on the outer fender lips with the waterbed suspension, but so far no rubbing at all. I'm think with the speedway spring's & bilstein's it will be fine as well.

For an all season tire, these grip pretty decent. There's this up hill stop light in town where I always get some wheel spin when its wet; today I got zero wheel spin. Nice improvement overall for sure.
                            1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Yeah... that fits really well. Also, you shouldn't get any rubbing without riding the bump stops. Lots of room up inside those wheel wells. At least if the sedans are any clue.
                              Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X