Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backspacing for 15 x 10 inch wide rear wheels on wagon ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn sly, that pic makes me feel better about it lol.

The sun came out for a bit and it dried out some. Still haven't washed the wagon but here’s a few more pics of the stance anyway:
    Attached Files
    1987 slick top Wagon

Search "photobucket embed fix" to remove watermark from photos

Comment

Looks good, big car needs big wheels.
      1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
      1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Well it's time for an update... I’ve been stuck at home due to this covid-19 crap. DFW has been taking it fairly seriously so all non essentials are being grounded.

The silver lining is I’ve been able to focus on the wagon a bit more. A few weekends ago I installed the speedway springs and bilstein shocks on all 4 corners. I also installed some new lower HD ball joints since the control arm was out of the spindle.

Its hard to tell from my crappy pics... but the car sits much more level than it did before:

Since I lowered it I did get a tiny bit of rubbing on the inside fender against the upper side wall. I used a hammer to clearance the inner fender and it seems to be fine now. I can take pics of where I clearanced... it only rubbed on hard cornering and when going over huge speed bumps. Regular driving it was fine.

It was a pita to do the front end to say the least. Hammering on the spindle to get the balljoint popped out was without a doubt the worst part of the job. The back was very easy in comparison. I was worried about the top shock nut spinning with the shaft... but the shaft stayed in place making it a breeze. Well not exactly a breeze it was just less of a pita than the front lol.
        Anyways it was well worth it to say the least. The car handles and rides so much better!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Alice87; 04-24-2020, 05:50 PM.
        1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Next project will be replacing all the steering. I purchased just about everything: Steering gear box, inner/outer tie rods/sleeve adjusters, rag joint, pitman arm, idler arm, power steering pump/ return hose/supply line. I think i may be missing somethings but for the most part im completely redoing all the steering. All the original stuff is just knackered beyond their useful days.

I also got a set of matching 15" x 8" soft 8's with 4.5" of backspacing for the front... I got them mocked up but haven't taken any good pics yet.

With the mods I have planned for the wagon, I need to start a build thread already!

-Kyle
          1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Looking good. Will look amazing with the matching fronts.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh my the meats on them.
              I've been wanting something similar on my MGM.
              Not as wide though

Those rims look great, I want something very close, like Centerline Pro Stock or Auto Drag. Or something else classic muscle and chromed.
              Lowered it does look meaner, even if the difference isn't much.
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Love the wheel and stance with the springs! I'm in the process of doing speedway springs and bilstein shocks as well. Glad to hear it rides nicely!
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

What spring rates did you go with?
                  1985 2-Door: CFI, K&N Filter, Edelbrock Performer 289 Intake, E7 Heads, BBK Shorty Headers, Summit H-pipe, Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, E-Fan, 3G Alternator, ASP Underdrive Crank Pulley, Bilstein Rear Shocks, Rear Lowering Springs, KYB Front Shocks, Front Lowering Springs, FTI 2400 Stall Converter, PA Performance Valve Body, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear, Eaton LSD Differential - I own the fastest CFI powered box to the 1/8th mile: 9.658@70.74mph
                  1991 4-Door (Dad's Car): Pro-M EFI, 306ci, Forged Pistons, Ford Racing Aluminum Heads, COMP XE264HR cam, Cobra 1.7 Rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 Intake, 30lb. Injectors, Custom 65mm TB/EGR Spacer, Pro-M 75mm MAF, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Custom Summit H-pipe, Walker Mufflers, Jegs Built AOD, Roadrunner 3000 Stall Converter, Ford Racing 4.10 Gear - Best 1/8th mile time: 9.76@72.03

Comment

Looks really good I like it.

Comment

Thanks for showing the wagon some love! It has a old school muscle car/sleeper sort of vibe going on with these wheels & stance. I like it. I got the front wheels installed and they look great... will post pics later about to go on a 50 mile drive I'll report if there's any rubbing.

It rides alright in comparison to my shot original suspension lol… But definably expect a firmer ride. It’s not bad tho. Main thing is it grips and holds the road very well. Even with all-seasons & 15’s it corners very nicely. These BFG’s are better than I was expecting for sure.

Originally posted by sluggish91 View Post
                      What spring rates did you go with?
                      Slug, The spring rates are #925 front #250 rears
                      1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Ive had the front wheels on for 80 miles or so... was a nice drive! went to Cleburne to help family with truck and just got back. Not great photos as usual just driveway shots:

The fronts fit with room to spare on the outside. Inside is close to the upper control arm depending on how much negative camber your running

It honestly looks freaking sweet in person. The pics dont do it justice at all.

The front currently has no center caps. The 2 3/4” caps that came with the wheels rubbed on the hub. I ordered some longer 3 1/4” ones so those will be installed shortly when I do the steering & brakes
                        I still cant get over how well this thing corners lol. Even with the ruined steering it still feels great and grips well… For a brick anyway it corners nicely ( :

I attached some more pics below:
                        Attached Files
                        1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

It really looks good. Nice wagon.
                          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks great. Sits nice too. Something about a longroof with attitude....

I must confess the picture of the wheel on the nicely tiled shower floor or wherever it is makes me all warm and fuzzy.
                            Car guys do whatever they gotta do... I Fukn love it.
                            All FORD All The Time

Comment

I was in California last June and went to a few pick and pulls. I cleaned all of my parts in the hotel bath tub.
                              ~David~

Comment

lol gotta get it done somehow.
                                1987 slick top Wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X